Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:05 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

As I said, I will start getting serious towards summer. I'm sure I will be doing a lot of traveling and looking during that time. As I listen and learn from all of you, I'm fairly confident I will be able to make an informed decision.

You're right, stealthrabbit, the first thing I do when I buy a vehicle is buy new tires. It shows general maintenance is a priority. So I will definitely look for that.

I may have to settle for a less expensive vehicle while I save for a better one. I won't be an only in that regards. The one thing I'm not willing to do is use my emergency fund for my initial buy. That stays until/unless l have an emergency.

My goal for the first year is to probably stay in a LTVA, long term visiting area. That will give me an idea of what I want to do and where I want to travel and allow me to meet other folks. The $180 for 7 months will be a third of what I pay for 1 month, so it's well worth the investment.

I'll know by the end of that time if it really is the life for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 06:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I have time as my lease isn't up until September and I am exploring different options. I have seen some that look promising on Craigslist and many people say they have found theirs that way.

I plan on looking seriously in July or August, which should give me time to fix it up for living. I also need to sell my car at that time. My car is a 2010 Nissan Cube which is in good shape, very trustworthy and gets 30mpg.

I wouldn't wait until the last minute to start looking seriously. One thing to remember is that is in southeastern Arizona the snowbirds start showing up in September/October. That's when a lot of homes and RVs go on the market, and everyone is looking for top dollar. Come April and May, they're all heading home, which is the best time to buy.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My goal for the first year is to probably stay in a LTVA, long term visiting area. That will give me an idea of what I want to do and where I want to travel and allow me to meet other folks. The $180 for 7 months will be a third of what I pay for 1 month, so it's well worth the investment.

I'll know by the end of that time if it really is the life for me.

I bought a travel trailer last year and I can already tell I would not want to live in that thing full time. It's great for going places on the weekend and even for a week or so, but that small space seems to get smaller and smaller. It's one thing to live in a van out of necessity, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it full-time for the fun of it.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM

I was thinking anywhere from April to July to buy a vehicle. It ready depends on the weather, I think. This has been an unusually cold year everywhere so people may be staying longer. My friends from Minnesota have kept me up to date and it is very cold. Glad I am not there!

I'm not looking at trailors. That would involve buying 2 items,a vehicle to tow the trailer and the trailor.

I'd love to buy a class b rv but may be out of my reach. It depends on what the cube sells for.

I wish I had had the foresight to buy a vehicle that could tow, when I bought the cube but, after trying numerous vehicles, the cube was the only one that not only didn't hurt my back, but was actually very comfortable to drive. It was comfort at first drive.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I research Nov - Feb (for homes and RVs)

Make my initial offer in early March, and finalize by 15 April (so sellers have extra dough for IRS). This yr will catch a lot of filers by surprise, so more may be seeking to sell (after they figure out how much they owe under the new(?) Tax Plan.) May / June bring LOTS of buyers for RV's; Aug - Dec... very few. Plan to do Canada Maritime prov. and will likely BUY USED in NE USA or Canada, rather than drive cross country (BTDT... love to drive but fuel costs / boring route is not a great use of time and money. ) Plan to drive it to SE USA and sell (by spring).

I have spent a few months in my RV (large van). OK single, but, ... I prefer a shop with apartment (if in one spot).

I can understand the varied ability of all of us to be different. I spent many yrs traveling with MC and tent roll. BTDT, don't enjoy it anymore. Also many yrs in 5* company paid hotels (Which I never enjoyed except for the free points that my kids liked to use for swimming / golf resorts).

Van and motorcycle with lots of side trips would be OK for me (for a yr). I do not find campgrounds 'peaceful', but enjoy staying on farms. I would be fine in a bunkhouse / extra servant house on a large farm or ranch.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 11:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
OP wrote: "I'd love to buy a class b rv but may be out of my reach."

you will likely find many more used Class C RV's available at generally much lower prices than Class B's.

If you're not planning on extensive driving distances, the incremental lower mpg in fuel economy for the Class C won't be a big deal compared to the Class B.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 AM

I haven't driven very many large vehicles and don't want to start now. The idea of a shuttle or small bus intrigues me, if I could find one within my price range. That would be just big enough.

It's amazing, to me, how little space I actually use. I have a 2 bedroom apartment because that was what was available, but I don't even use the second bedroom, except for storing boxes I haven't unpacked. I could put what's in there in a topper. Actually, I will be going through and downsizing once again.

That was the one thing about moving cross-country, from 4 seasons to a warmer climate. I wasn't sure what I would need and brought things I haven't used. But, I had the room and used a moving van so did the best I could. It's easier to get rid of things than buy something you tossed or gave away.

I will probably stay in the west. I would like to see Washington state but would never live there because of the climate. Same with Florida. I want to experience Maine's seafood. There's so much I want to see and explore.

None of this is conducive to traveling in a large vehicle. Gas and parking would eat up a budget in a hurry.

I believe, from what I've read, that most people set up their 'living room' outside. That's one of the points of a nomadic lifestyle. Yes, or course there are times you're stuck inside because of weather but we live in a remarkable age where you can have entertainment no matter where you are. Tv, internet, books and crafts. All this can be done in inclement weather. And, you'd be much more prepared.

Being a Minnesotan and used to summer outages and winter storms, I always kept a supply of candles in a convenient location and flashlights within easy reach as well as a hand cranked weather radio, which I still have. I was frequently amazed at how many of my neighbors didn't and would come to me for help during outages. I often wanted to ask them just how long they had lived there.

I guess, for me, since a large part of my growing up years was spent in the country where we had outhouses and outdoor water pumps, it wouldn't be that difficult to live with a simpler lifestyle. I laugh now at how amazed I was when we moved into town and had an actual bathroom.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
meo92953... you don't want a cargo conversion / non optimal campervan (to live in)! You are in an excellent area to find great bargains on used RV's (people settle down in your region and sell RV)
And yet I’m very happy in my conversion van and know many people who are as well. True it’s a small space but this is all about outdoor living and my hobbies don’t take up much space. I figured I’d try on the lifestyle and see if I like it and then trade up if I feel the need but I don’t feel the need just yet. If I do it won’t be any bigger than a camper van because there are so many places those big RVs just can’t get to, or not easily anyway.

The only thing I did to get this road ready was to take out the middle seats and convert the back seats to a bed. It’s been six months now.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
OP wrote: "None of this is conducive to traveling in a large vehicle. Gas and parking would eat up a budget in a hurry."

If your finances are so tight that the small incremental difference in fuel economy from a Class B to a smaller range Class C RV would "eat up a budget" …. then you don't have the budget for a Class B, either, for all your proposed travels around the USA.

Parking for either one is virtually the same, with RV campsite footprint and cost comparable.

Many Class C vehicles are only "slightly" bigger than a 19' Class B, a matter of a few inches in width and length.

From your comments, I'd suggest that your BEST option at the present time would be to keep your current fuel economy car and tent camp as desired around the USA. You've got every justification to do so … high fuel mileage, adequate space for your minimal travel equipment needs, you're used to no running water and using an outhouse … and you already own it. Why bother to spend the money for another vehicle which appears to be a daunting financial burden upon your future travels? A decent tent and camping gear set-up for one traveler could be less than the sales tax sum on the purchase of another vehicle. For severe inclement conditions, you could even sleep in the car you've got in a front seat and have your entertainment at hand, too.

So be it … have a nice day and enjoy your travels.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-28-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Nice of you to live my life for me but I will be living it myself.

Have a nice day yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing