Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your MN friends will LOVE to have someone help rake Leaves! and put-up the harvest.

Then about 1 Nov (or anytime after the State Fair ) ... you can ease out of the state and head south.

Timing it correctly you can see Aspen Colors in Northern NM and southern CO. (first of Oct) , then follow the colors south through AZ / western NM back to Cochise County. One of my friends there has a 'bunk-house' and spare RV hook ups and about 20 acres. They get a lot of visitors in the winter. (as do we in TX home).

We keep extra RV sites for friends to drop in for a few days or months.

Keep space in the shop that they can use to do maint and repairs. And a woodshop to build projects / do RV remodel.

It is nice to have an extra hand around to help with projects.
Do you ever host wwoofers or helpx’ers? Seems like it would be fun for you and them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Do you ever host wwoofers or helpx’ers? Seems like it would be fun for you and them.
Thx, I have heard some war stories from wwoofers, but haven't previously known of HelpX'er, HippoHelp, Workaway, https://www.volunteersbase.com/ ...

We try to 'network' engage at a higher skill level / established relationships, but there is value to training and helping others. After hiring way too many PS kids... I am totally OVER hosting non-farm people who say they want to help.. but I will entertain those with a definite interest / incentive / innovative self starters... (honestly... even helping my 'non-far' neighbors can get my goat... (I need to be careful with my thoughts...) Just gotta be SO CAREFUL around equipment / livestock / live power / ladders / roofs...

Babysitting really bums me out and cramps my style. Ironically I clearly remember of the many times I got beat silly for making simple errors while helping on the farm. I get peeved when help don't know the basics.. (Where to stand so they don't get run over by a tractor. How to keep the operator ALWAYS productively (and safely) working the machine.

Risk / danger / liability / consistent customer deliverables keeps me from seeking / using strangers as workers. (not that all are incapable...) After building a relationship / ability to demonstrate proficiency... maybe.

Best to show up with a "Camper / Conversion Van!" Free to GO, come, Stay, some of each.

BTW... my ultimate 'Conversion camper" A hooklift Class 8 truck with a 'pup' (one container with RV, one with shop, another for automotive, woodworking...... Grab the (2) you want and head out. When you get to a destination... Buy the authority and do some 'trucking'
hooklift truck

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-31-2019 at 07:51 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Coldjensens wrote: "If you are just looking for a conversion van, then you want a Chevy Express - period. "

a word to the wise might be in order: Check these out for standing headroom. Could be important for somebody living out of the rig for an extended time.

as well: "Everyone lies to you. Dealer or private seller, assume anything they are saying is a lie."

so one might ask, how does a single woman like the OP … who is unlikely to have the mechanical skills to properly evaluate and/or take it upon themselves the diagnostic and repairs needed going to do so?

From my perspective as an industry professional for over 5 decades, I have to wonder how you rate a Private Party sale as being a better buy/value than a competent dealership. I gather from your numerous posts that you project a consistent attitude that everybody in the business is a thief, professional liar, and rip-off artist greedily seeking to take maximum advantage of every customer in the door. And now you assert that everybody else who is selling a vehicle is a liar, too. Is every rig for sale a piece of junk?

My experience with private party sales … and I've done a couple hundred over the years … is that once the money changes hands, the private party has no further involvement with the product.

A competent dealership, however, has a vested interest in continuing good business reputation, referrals, and repeat sales. There presents a possibility that they can and will stand behind what they've sold, no? oh, wait a minute … you've already answered that question. They're all liars and thieves. All of them, according to you.

Perhaps some of us have had a better trusting experience with our clients and earned our good reputations. YMMV.
So, does being an industry professional mean that you are a salesman trying to sell someone they don't want?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I'm still researching the best way for me to do this. Thankfully, I have 4 brothers who are advising me also, although I haven't and won't tell them I'll be living in the van.

I'm debating if trading my car for a van would be the best way. I have to get rid of the car as I don't want to tow it and it can't tow anything. It's been a good car and certainly was worth buying when I needed it but it's time for a change.

By keeping feelers out, I'm fairly confident this will all work out. I bought the Cube from a dealer after researching and test driving other cars for a few weeks. All the time, the Cube was on the lot and I kept track of it online. It was more than I wanted to pay but I finally decided it was the one I wanted.

I did take a chance on it being sold, but because it wasn't I was able to talk them down to a lower price. I'm not certain I'll be quite that gutsy this time around. We'll see.

The Cube has an unusual appearance and a lot of Minnesotans laughed at it. Either you love the design or you hate it. It worked out for me.

Here in Arizona, I have noticed more of them. The mileage factor is a great plus. Plus I've never had any problems with it. I do take care of my vehicles though. I have always had maintenance done when it's supposed to be done and don't drive crazy or abuse them in any way. Even my old beaters, back when I was younger, lasted far longer than expected.

It will be interesting to see what I actually end up with. There are times I think of getting a truck and travel trailer. I just haven't decided yet. My gut feeling tells me I'll know it when I see it, just as I did the Cube.

I still have a lot to learn but, just as I researched moving from Minnesota, which worked out well, I'll put in the time and effort to research this. I do plan on putting things in storage until I'm totally confident this is what I want to do, but the more I research, the more confident I become.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM

I was just watching Bob Wells question and answer session and one of the things that came up was travel trailers. Wee Roll makes aluminium trailers for a decent price, which can,or course, be more costly if you have them customize it.

The problem with hauling anything though, is the safety feature. If a person felt uneasy about the current site, you would have to physically leave the trailer to get in your car. This is what keeps me from doing more than looking at them.

Being that I'm 65 with wrinkles, gray hair and not as physically fit as I used to be,I'm not sure it's something I should worry about...but there is a criminal element everwhere, it seems. Safety is a factor one should be aware of. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about buying a trailer.

I do plan on trying to travel with other people and, at least from September to April, staying at a LTVA and hopefully meeting other travelers, but I want to make sure I do due diligence in my research. Some people might like a 65 year old, wrinkled gray haired lady. (Said with humor).

Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 AM

I am gonna guess... LTVA is gonna be a thing of the past at some point (due to abuse / danger / potential income to our BROKE gov...)

I have done it a few times, but even with a motorcycle to escape and play during the day, it is not a way I really enjoy (or feel comfortable) to travel and stay. YMMV

I much prefer my rural acreages with shop / rv site and a cabin / home. These are not expensive, and actually spin off positive cash flow ($500 - $1200 / month each) while I am home or away. (rented with an extra space for me when I happen to drop by). I make sure I don't stay anywhere long enough to trigger domicile / zoning violations. That is not hard to do! My best financial performance was a 'fixer' on view acreage $73k, Home (not completed), shop + extra building site, septic, well, power... so I pulled in a 16x80 MH ($8000) . Zoned for up to (3) residences currently grossing $2200/ month net (2 places combined) ~ $1400 / month excess (That helps fund my travels). Add a few of those and a person can afford to travel between them when the weather dictates a change in scenery.

I have a few friends who also have rv sites on rural acreage / home base. (one friend in Cochise Valley, but I'm sure I could make 10 - 20 more friends in that area that would also allow me a space / barter for expenses)

I like to have a spot to call home / tinker / relax.

Nomad is ok for a season, but for a life... it's not my style.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-05-2019 at 01:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Stealthrabbit, if people weren't different, with different views and wants, the world would be a very boring place.

I'm choosing to try something different, just as you have. I lived in Minnesota most 60 of my 65 years. The majority of that time was spent in a city to be close to work.

I still have to gasp at the raw beauty of Arizona. The beautiful sunsets, the majestic mountains, the sheer beauty. There's still a lot that I haven't seen or explored. And on social security and my small pension, I couldn't afford to travel much.

No one is saying you should give up your lifestyle or live in a different manner than you want to.

This what I want to do. I'm not asking you to want it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Just offering options...for the million 'other' readers... (viable for some, not desirable for others.)

LMK if you ever find those 'Arizona Highways' photo places, with all the green deciduous trees and high flowing streams.
(yesteryear (1960's & 1970's) I pursued those 'AZ Scenic Oasis' places via motorcycle for months on end to no avail)

Seems recent photos are more 'desert' focused (as I would expect / have encountered)
https://www.pinterest.com/lynneaugs/...tures/?lp=true

Have only spent a few months (at a time) in my campervan. I still prefer motorcycle for that type of travel, (nomadic).

But as I age... spending a rainy afternoon snoozing in the van is a pleasant alternative to finding a library / picnic shelter while on a motorcycle.

Another point is the location of your 'FT campervan living / adventure'. Western USA is far more compatible climate wise for nomadic stays. Dew, condensation, frost, muggy, HUGE rainstorms fo the eastern seaboard and SE USA add complexities to the success-fullness of the formula. SAFE and efficient (and weatherproof) heat, power, plumbing, ventilation is critical.

My 1970's VW Westy was a very informative time for figuring this stuff out. Very low budget, (Snap on tarp, insect screens / power vents... all took a lot of experimenting. ) When my mom showed up with her used 'Toyota Chinook', I was very impressed with the creature comforts and compact nature.
Toyota Chinook For Sale - Class C RV Classifieds North America

She went on to have several campervans, finally getting her 'dream' Roadtrek, (bought for $9k sold for $13k; 10+ yrs later) which later had to be replaced with a Rialta due to DH becoming a double amputee. The Rialta (Bought for $10k, sold for $16k) was low enough to ride the scooter in and then transfer front to back using arms. She had all varieties of Campers / trailers / motorhomes / Class 8 toter.... but her vans / Rialta were ideal

Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Tip: some of the popular BLM LTVA's require that an "RV be fully self-contained" to stay in the area.

Their interpretation of that requirement is a proper functioning water and sanitation system, to include a functional toilet and black water storage tank. As well, one must capture all the gray water in a tank for proper disposal and not be dumped out on the ground.

They specify that a "porta-potty" is not a "fully self-contained" system and is not acceptable for these areas.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Thank heaven I have more time to research! There's one woman in particular who shares the pitfalls along with what is needed. She doesn't sugarcoat reality. I'll ask her what the restrictions are for the LTVA's. She was a camp host at one so will know the ins and outs.

Great resource for the campervans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing