Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

As a single, retired woman I moved from Minnesota to Arizona so I no longer have trusted neighbors/friends to guide me or come with me to see and test a van. I plan to travel and live in the van.

I have time as my lease isn't up until September and I am exploring different options. I have seen some that look promising on Craigslist and many people say they have found theirs that way.

I plan on looking seriously in July or August, which should give me time to fix it up for living. I also need to sell my car at that time. My car is a 2010 Nissan Cube which is in good shape, very trustworthy and gets 30mpg.

Would it be best to go to a dealer and do a trade or??? I live near Sierra Vista.

Suggestions appreciated.

I should add that my car has 75,500 miles. I would keep it but it can't tow anything and I can't afford a van and a tow car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
with so many RV dealerships in the region, these are your likeliest source for information, inspection, and "test" driving a van.

You'll have the opportunity to compare floor plans, standard and optional equipment, and gauge your comfort level for traveling and living in the rig. For me, some floor plans are losers … and others a pleasure to use. My priorities for kitchen/bath/dining/sleeping/storage spaces will doubtless be quite different than yours, so it's best for you to check 'em out and get a feeling for what is comfortable for you. Systems such as tankage, RV power sources (propane, battery, electric, on-board generator, HVAC equipment/capacity - think about the climate zones you intend to travel, etc), insulation/weather tightness, exterior options such as awnings/shower can all be critical, but the requirements vary between "stealth camping" needs and for an RV that will mainly be used in an RV park with full hook-ups in your travels.

Unless you have the time and interest to start marketing and dealing directly with prospective buyers of your car and then working an independent "deal" on a van purchase … and have the expertise to know how to do a mechanical inspection of the RV you want to buy … the dealerships represent your best option.

Yes, there are posters here on CD who will brag on and on about how they scored magnificent, far back of "retail" average prices on the absolutely best bargain RV in the USA on the day they wanted to buy one. I can only emphasize that unless you have their mechanical and negotiating skill sets to pursue these "bargains" and the time/energy to do so, then you shouldn't be lead to believe that you're missing out.

Craigslist and similar marketing/advertising tools can be useful sources, but only if you have the abilities to be a very knowledgeable buyer. Bear in mind that few CList sellers will deal outside of cash; ie, no financing available unless you set up a loan (if needed) in advance with your lender. As well, few such sellers are going to be interested in your trade since they're not in the business.

From a practical standpoint, you may want to begin your inquiries now and establish a working relationship with a dealer or two. Why? because July or August is when the pressure is on the marketplace to buy RV's for the upcoming winter season. More RV's will be available at the end of the snowbird season in the springtime, hence more supply and lower demand trends for lower pricing. At this time, you can get a "ballpark" idea of what your vehicle is worth in trade.

From a convenience standpoint, you'll be ahead to trade your vehicle in on the RV. Consider, too, that the possible sales tax on your RV purchase may be based upon the gross sales price less your trade-in, so that may be lower than paying sales tax on the full purchase amount of the RV.

Yes, the dealers are in business to make money and you will pay them for their services. But again, there's value received by doing business with them. Here's another consideration: will a private party sale be able to give you any warranty coverage upon your RV purchase? An established dealership with good social media reviews is far more likely to do a better job prepping and inspecting an RV than a private party that's trying to cash out of an unwanted vehicle.

Personally, I've done RV business in the Southwest USA with a dealer in Albuquergue. 450 miles from your home, unfortunately. But they have been honest, straightforward, and reasonable to do business with … and they did take one of my MB cars in trade against a Class B RV. They made life simple for me, I drove the car to NM and left with the RV for my business travels. The RV was priced many $thousands less in their area then in my home market, so the cost of the trip and the selection on their lot was well worth the time and expense for me. And yes, they will deliver RV's at a nominal per-mile cost to you. It's possible that you could make most of the deal at home and the RV will still be subject to your inspection and approval before the final money changes hands. For the most part, they "undersold" their RV's so that there was little room for disappointment … for me, this was a big deal because I was spending so much time and travel expense to visit them. From what I saw in the marketplace, their performance was matched by other RV dealerships in the region.

PS: while doing the details of a correct and legal motor vehicle sale/transfer aren't the most daunting things to do, most dealerships are reasonably competent to do so. In almost 50 years now of doing "private party" buy/sell transactions, I find many folk simply don't know how to do so and this can make for "problems" in your transactions. Especially when there are liens on titles, or an interrupted title trail (ie, oft times a vehicle was sold "open title" and the private party seller you're doing business with doesn't actually have legal title in their name to the vehicle). The "paper trail" to a successful transaction is important to completing the deal with your money at stake and with insurance now required on the motor vehicle, you want all the i's dotted and t's crossed to do the deal correctly. Again, this is one of those little details where the services of a pro dealer may be valuable in your transaction.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-26-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Very extensive response. Thank you.

I was contemplating that a trade in may be the best way to go. I also need time to transfer the monies from my investment account as I do not want any payments. This normally takes a week.

I do want a good deal, of course, but my main concern is making sure the vehicle is reliable and road worthy. My Cube has been the best car I have ever had, requiring nothing but regular maintenance. I've been spoiled by my car. I've had it for about 4 years and other than needing a new battery, it's been amazing.

I'm not looking for a full rv. The most I would consider is a class b but I think just a van, to start out with, would be the best. What 'I'll save on rent and utilities can be put towards a different vehicle further down the road.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
no clue.
we tried to, but nothing worked out in our favor.
Craig'sList, or dealers, or whatever, wanted more than we had.
we wish you more success than our attempts.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You'll have the opportunity to compare floor plans, standard and optional equipment, and gauge your comfort level for traveling and living in the rig. For me, some floor plans are losers … and others a pleasure to use. My priorities for kitchen/bath/dining/sleeping/storage spaces will doubtless be quite different than yours, so it's best for you to check 'em out and get a feeling for what is comfortable for you.
I think the OP is planning to buy a cargo-type van and do some rudimentary outfitting herself.

I frequently see a man who is living in a late-model Sprinter (cargo version) that clearly has not been converted to a camper van. It doesn't even have a roof vent fan and being a cargo van, no side or rear windows, so he has to leave the driver and passenger side windows rolled down 1/3 to get any sort of ventilation. That would make me feel unsafe. I imagine he has a cot or mattress. He parks in the lot of a 24 hour Safeway, and uses their facilities.

Cargo vans are typically a metal shell and have little-to-no insulation, so road noise can be an issue as well as the problem of what to do on cold nights. Maybe the guy has a goose down comforter.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 PM

You're right fluffy, either a cargo or passenger van. I'm already getting things for camping, which will go in the van. Two things are important to me to get done quickly. Insulation and a fantastic fan. I can sleep on the army cot and air mattress I bought and I have good comforters.I

I also have storage items I bought for this apartment which will work great in a van. I bought one of the 4 space cubes for storage which will work great for the camp stove and kitchen storage. I'm going to incorporate what I can from what I have. I'll be putting my other furniture, which is heavy wood, in storage until I know for sure this is what want to do.

I don't know how the person you mentioned is surviving but people do what they have to, to survive. Life is not always pleasant and I often think, there but for the grace of God, it could be me.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:16 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't know how the person you mentioned is surviving but people do what they have to, to survive. Life is not always pleasant and I often think, there but for the grace of God, it could be me.

I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but usually in this area the person has a job they go to during the day. I've seen him leave around 7 am. Many of the tech companies provide free meals for employees and contractors, so my cargo van guy probably isn't starving.

I don't know what he does at night to charge a laptop and phone -- I'd guess an inverter. Are you getting one?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
options:
1) There are a lot of very comprehensive check lists for RV purchase
2) Do a lot of research to narrow your choices
3) Join some chat / forums specific to those brands / models
4) Enlist (pay) someone on that group to help you look into / survey future purchase.
5) Use 'video chat' with the person who is there surveying vehicle. (It helps to be looking at one similar yourself at the same time to trigger questions.)
6) Get a video
7) smells (hard for others to have your sense of smell (pets / smoking) ... dog hair... mold and mildew (Be careful)

I would suspect there are ways to screen for these (taking samples of fabric / carpet fuss and analyzing

Something I always look for:
  • One owner / FS By Owner
  • records
  • brand of oil filter
  • Brand of tire (a picky PO is NOT gonna be using CHEAP tires or filters)
  • Condition of Air and cabin filters
  • Wear on pedals (Gas and brake)
  • condition of antifreeze (it should be fresh) and belts and hoses.

MUST have been stored indoors (roof / plastic components, window seals, fans,
    Tires must not be over 7 yrs old (DOT date code)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2019 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 10:55 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
OP … the "key" to your requirements is in your statement: "I plan to travel and live in the van."

Folk with far more experience and years of developing products that successfully meet the needs of "van living" have crafted safe, functional, and value in Class B conversion vans.

From a safety standpoint alone, they've built rigs that provide proper sanitation, food storage (refrigerator/freezer installations), bathing, HVAC (with proper ventilation for a heating furnace), proper code compliant propane and electrical
service for heating and cooking, insulation, windows and coverings, cooking, a sink (with water supply and grey water disposal/storage), and kitchen space … among just a few of the amenities which make "living in a van" practical.

Absent having the skills to provide and properly install these systems in your vehicle, there's no way that you can begin to match what's available from the manufacturers in this business.

Here's the rub: if you take a cargo van and load it up with minimal "camping" type equipment, you'll still not have: 1) the capabilities of a proper Class B rig, 2) the safety of properly installed equipment (for example, you don't want to be cooking inside a van without proper fresh air make-up and exhaust ventilation), and 3) when all is said and done, your "RV" will still be just a "cargo van" and only worth that value.

I have "minimalist" friends who traveled for years in their VW "westy" (of various vintages) who bought a well-used diesel MB/Dodge van and removed the cargo racks to allow their camping gear installation. They are masters of interior remodeling in houses and do a fabulous job of interior woodwork, plumbing, gas line installation, and similar crafts & trades. Nevertheless, once they installed a bed, interior lighting, a 12v refrigerator, a roof vent, a 5-gallon water tank, a coleman propane stove, some storage bins/compartments, and a porta-potty … it was a very crude approximation of what comes standard in a proper Class B van. Yes, they got improved fuel economy, space, and brakes/handling over their "westy". But it's still very short on practical living/ camping equipment and they found that they are more comfortable in their old VW campers for their extended winter travels each year.

Another couple we know did a similar conversion in an old Greyhound bus. After 3 years of a fabulous conversion … they, again, are master carpenters and tradespeople with fantastic artisan skills … they hit the road for their arts/crafts fair/show circuit from which they make a living in retirement. With lots of storage space for products, spinning wheels, jewelry making equipment and the like, they thought they'd be very comfortable with all the installed systems. One year of travels and they got to look at the Class A commercial RV's that their show companions traveled with, even the ones pre-slideout days with space comparable to their motor coach. They tried for several years to sell their conversion bus as an RV, without success. None of the RV dealers would take it in trade against a Class A rig. They finally sold it to a sheep rancher who was going to use it for seasonal help accommodations in SW Wyoming … for $1,500. They had over $5,000 in carefully sourced RV equipment and systems they'd installed and over $10,000 in their custom built woodwork interior/cabinetry/bed/countertops, and built-in lay-z-boy sofas.

The bottom line is that "making do" in a cargo van as an RV will not bring it up to the value in the marketplace as a properly built code compliant and safe RV. You will be dollars ahead to buy an RV for your purposes. The only way utilizing an cargo van as an RV will pay out is if you never intend to resell it and use it solely for your own purposes.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-27-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
meo92953... you don't want a cargo conversion / non optimal campervan (to live in)! You are in an excellent area to find great bargains on used RV's (people settle down in your region and sell RV)

My mom picked up her Roadtrek and her Rialta (legitimate conversions, complete, safe, factory done, great resale.) near SE AZ / SW NM each for under $15k and each under 80k miles.(Private party sales , stored indoors). Both were from retired farmers. She looked them over and made her own negotiation and decisions.

Both were in superb condition and provided a very long (10yr+) service life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing