Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good point on the new vehicles and design flaws, will keep that in mind when comparing the two.

I am aware of the depreciation on 5th wheels, and yeah, we only plan on living in it for a few years until we buy a home, ideally 3 years would match what we want to do. We figure after that amount of time, we will be quite tired of it. May keep, may sell.

That's why we are not getting a dually, because I wanted a truck we could keep even if we don't RV.

Heck, we have a good time camping in tents, so I'm sure we won't be miserable in a 5th wheel.

Sam, you are towing a 27' with a 1500? That must be kinda close to the max tow rate?
I got a RWD with the Hemi and the factory tow package for the added towing capacity. Even overestimating what we could have in the pickup and trailer I am a little over 1000lbs under max towing capacity/GVWR. I have never towed a travel trailer but have pulled a bigger skid steer with a similar pickup when I done construction.

I used to tent camp 40 years ago, am way to delicate for that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I

I used to tent camp 40 years ago, am way to delicate for that now.
We only go for a week once a year with family, and I would still do it even it we have the RV, but would prefer to take the RV with us.

We are super crazy excited to get started, but we are still about 6 months out from putting our home on the market.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
We only go for a week once a year with family, and I would still do it even it we have the RV, but would prefer to take the RV with us.

We are super crazy excited to get started, but we are still about 6 months out from putting our home on the market.
I wish you the best of luck. We are about a year out from trying to full time RV. Like you, we are only planning to do it for a few years.

We sold off our 2 extra properties and plan on renting out our main property while trying RV(maybe condo) living out on the Oregon coast.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck. We are about a year out from trying to full time RV. Like you, we are only planning to do it for a few years.

We sold off our 2 extra properties and plan on renting out our main property while trying RV(maybe condo) living out on the Oregon coast.
Best of luck to you also!!!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:

You better be careful, Mikala. You may find you like the nomad style of living, you'll never go back to traditional housing. And with a set-up like the one you're purchasing, you may never need anything more. It's a beautiful 5th wheel.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You better be careful, Mikala. You may find you like the nomad style of living, you'll never go back to traditional housing. And with a set-up like the one you're purchasing, you may never need anything more. It's a beautiful 5th wheel.
Thank you!!! I think it would be great if we liked it so much we never bought a house.

Both DH and I are "planners" and we have literally spent 1000s of man hours researching both trucks and RVs. I have a spreadsheet of all full time living 5th wheels (of the floor plans we like), comparing axel ratings, CCC, tank sizes, you name it.... We have all spent a lot of time envisioning how it would be to live in the configuration we chose. For example, an outside kitchen was a must for me, until I realized that you lose the large expanse of windows on the camp side. So we had to decide which was more functional for us, and the windows won.

We have done our best to minimize a failure to our enjoyment. Despite that I'm sure we missed stuff that we will regret.

The only thing we are trying to work out now, is do we order new and have it ready when we are ready, or buy existing, and either wait until we are ready and risk our choices not being available, or but existing when it is available and store it.

That's how we ended up reconsidering a 2019 Ram. If we bought the 2018 now, having to have payments, and storage etc. would add a huge cost onto the initial savings, why not put that money into the 2019 and get the truck we really want?

It's all so much more problematic because we are doing this from Hawaii.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM

A little off topic, but an outstanding question I have on the process:

If we buy a truck and RV now, while living in Hawaii, but keeping it on the mainland.... do we pay sales tax and register it here?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
A little off topic, but an outstanding question I have on the process:

If we buy a truck and RV now, while living in Hawaii, but keeping it on the mainland.... do we pay sales tax and register it here?
No help on your question. If you are buying these things now you should ask the dealership if they will store it for you for free till you can pick it up. I am doing that with the RV I purchased last week. I am about to head out to Oregon for a few weeks and they are storing it for me for free till I get back and can pick it up.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:02 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
If we buy a truck and RV now...
You know about South Dakota... right?

Buy the truck almost anywhere you can get the right price for it.
I don't see any advantage to paying more than a hold fee though before you're at the Airport.
Then drive from wherever that is to Indiana and the RV plant.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No help on your question. If you are buying these things now you should ask the dealership if they will store it for you for free till you can pick it up. I am doing that with the RV I purchased last week. I am about to head out to Oregon for a few weeks and they are storing it for me for free till I get back and can pick it up.
Ohhh.... how long are you storing it? We need like 8 months....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing