Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You know about South Dakota... right?

Buy the truck almost anywhere you can get the right price for it.
I don't see any advantage to paying more than a hold fee though before you're at the Airport.
Then drive from wherever that is to Indiana and the RV plant.
I don't know what you are saying, but keep in mind, we are in Hawaii.

But if you could elaborate, then great. We got a great price on a 2018, I think 61K with all the options we needed, and right by our home base in CA, and so is the Montana dealer.

We chose them because my sister lives there, and we can always stay with them if servicing will be done. The RV dealers all said that if our home base was not around them, they would recommend we go to the dealer that is (for new).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A little off topic, but an outstanding question I have on the process:

If we buy a truck and RV now, while living in Hawaii, but keeping it on the mainland.... do we pay sales tax and register it here?
resources:.. https://www.escapees.com/education/discussion-forum/

Vehicle should be registered (and insured) in the state it is garaged.

For FT RV'rs
(that should be MT, OR, AK...) (no sales tax)
MT has an entire industry to do this ~$74 for a LLC (DIY) to own and register your RV, some RV's get Lifetime plates / registration (A friends 5r was that way) no inspections / emissions /
Do it LEGALLY... comply with local laws as necessary (If FT RV you can do it legally)

Income Tax free state Domicile is usually in SD (next door to MT).
One night per lifetime is all that is required (Camp or hotel receipt)
https://www.escapees.com/education/d.../south-dakota/

You keep mentioning doing this from HI... that is VERY ez, at least it is USA!!! Many of us do these transactions everyday (for years) from overseas / foreign countries. So much easier today than 30 yrs ago!

Good luck, time to execute plans.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM

I have looked at the possibility of setting up an LLC in Montana. Some states make trying to avoid the state sales tax a felony (CA? and a few others).

I'm still on the fence, but HI sales tax is low in this case at 4.675%, at least compared to CA, our initial home base, and NV where we plan to move when we do buy.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
A little off topic, but an outstanding question I have on the process:

If we buy a truck and RV now, while living in Hawaii, but keeping it on the mainland.... do we pay sales tax and register it here?
Yes. You do have to pay the sales tax AND register it it in your home state. Once you move to the mainland, you go through the whole thing again with registering it in California. You will need a permanent address but if you have family living there, that shouldn't be a problem. Use their address as your own.

Because all that has to happen the answer to one of your other questions is pretty easy. Don't buy the truck now and store it. Wait until the new model comes out before buying that. The 5th wheel isn't as big a concern. You can store that with minimal problem. You'll still have to pay all the registration fees, however. You know how sticky California is about those things.They need to keep that revenue coming in.

You're going to have such fun with this new adventure. I just know it.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Ohhh.... how long are you storing it? We need like 8 months....
Only 5 weeks total. With the amount you are going to spend on new it would be worth asking about. They should at least offer a steep discount on storage fees.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes. You do have to pay the sales tax AND register it it in your home state. Once you move to the mainland, you go through the whole thing again with registering it in California. You will need a permanent address but if you have family living there, that shouldn't be a problem. Use their address as your own.

Because all that has to happen the answer to one of your other questions is pretty easy. Don't buy the truck now and store it. Wait until the new model comes out before buying that. The 5th wheel isn't as big a concern. You can store that with minimal problem. You'll still have to pay all the registration fees, however. You know how sticky California is about those things.They need to keep that revenue coming in.

You're going to have such fun with this new adventure. I just know it.

Yeah, I just read about car insurance restrictions too. Now it is really making me lean to a 2019. I will be in contact with both my insurance company and DMV tomorrow.

We will be setting up an address in Carson City, and they have companies there that give you a street address as opposed to a PO BOX. I don't want our residence to be CA because of taxes, and because it isn't true. We will be going to Carson soon after moving, to store what furniture we kept, and I have to get my doctor's set-up because I have a chronic condition that requires quarterly visits.

I think we will have a great time too! At least I'm crossing my fingers.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Only 5 weeks total. With the amount you are going to spend on new it would be worth asking about. They should at least offer a steep discount on storage fees.
It's a VERY good idea. Thank you!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just read about car insurance restrictions too. Now it is really making me lean to a 2019. I will be in contact with both my insurance company and DMV tomorrow.

We will be setting up an address in Carson City, and they have companies there that give you a street address as opposed to a PO BOX. I don't want our residence to be CA because of taxes, and because it isn't true. We will be going to Carson soon after moving, to store what furniture we kept, and I have to get my doctor's set-up because I have a chronic condition that requires quarterly visits.

I think we will have a great time too! At least I'm crossing my fingers.
Very wise move I also think waiting to buy the truck is a great idea too. I mean, you're going to have to pay sales tax AND registration fees on it, even if you're not in possession of it, why not make the system work to your advantage. Another wise move, setting up the address in Carson City.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes. You do have to pay the sales tax AND register it it in your home state. ...

I have vehicles registered in several states (and I usually am even not in USA, tho at the moment keep a tax domicile in an income tax free state)

I keep DMV accounts in 4 states (and I am not a dealer).

I steer clear of CA tax triggering (never there for over 60 days at a time), and limit my TOTAL time there in that (and other) tax hungry states.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I have vehicles registered in several states (and I usually am even not in USA, tho at the moment keep a tax domicile in an income tax free state)

I keep DMV accounts in 4 states (and I am not a dealer).

I steer clear of CA tax triggering (never there for over 60 days at a time), and limit my TOTAL time there in that (and other) tax hungry states.

You may want to look into how that affects your insurance coverage. When your domicile differs, you may not be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing