Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:17 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

So we are looking at full time RVing when we move to the mainland at the end of this year. We have spent the time researching 5th wheels and trucks, and think we have the right combo.

RV:

Montana 3120RL (16,000 fully loaded weight)
Why: 3 year structural warranty, rated for full time living, 35 ft, short bed turn friendly, 4 season rated (and bells whistles and floor plan we like).

Truck:

Ram 1ton short bed, aisin tranmission(?), 4x4, super cab. Probably a 2018 (love the 2019 but trying to be reasonable), from memory 5 ton cargo and 24K tow rate

Tell me everything wrong with our choices!!! Would rather hear it now than after we purchase.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So we are looking at full time RVing ...
Tell me everything wrong with our choices!!!
Truck isn't diesel and it's all new gear.

Rent a few different rig set ups and actually live with them in transit a bit.
Look for the best USED choices in your finalized size range... learn to like those features.

Consider some VERY used set up for the first year before diving in for the rest.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:18 PM

Truck is diesel.

We are are pretty set on new because they have features we want and we think it will be more reliable.

I can't see any way possible to "try" units. I don't even think you can rent 5th wheels, plus we have 2 90lb dogs.

We are buying *last* years models, but still new, but so far we are getting pretty good prices, I think.

DH and I have waffled back and forth on the new vs used for the 5th wheel, I'd benefit from the depreciation hit being taken by someone else, but it is hard to find the model you want, then have a thorough inspection, etc. We thought about custom build but I think I can negotiate better on the 2018 model with the dealer. It doesn't have everything we want, but it has the important stuff.

Don't forget, we are doing this long distance, and that is more complicated.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 PM

Ah, after looking at the cost to store the truck (if we bought the 2018), and the financed payments (just until the end of the year) and not using it for 6 months, it actually makes more sense (so far) to build a 2019 and have it ready when we are.

It may turn out to be the same with the 5th wheel. Have to see about that.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I would definitely go with the 2019 over the 2018 Ram, as it is totally redesigned. A lot of the safety features were not available on the 2018. I would also go with a dually for 5th wheel towing. You will get much better advice on a RV forum as to your choices.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I would definitely go with the 2019 over the 2018 Ram, as it is totally redesigned. A lot of the safety features were not available on the 2018. I would also go with a dually for 5th wheel towing. You will get much better advice on a RV forum as to your choices.
We know the dually is the better option but it will be our only car, so we made that concession. I am really leaning towards the 2019, but I haven't seen the quote yet.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Sounds like you will buy what you have already decided what you want... but I'm with AKEr,

Dually is much better for heavy trailering (Many of us have used duallies for daily drivers for 50+ yrs). Dually is amazingly more stable in winds / sway.

I also ONLY go for Long wheelbase trucks (and long beds). Tho strictly for towing a 5r, a shorty will be bouncy but OK, Resale / potential buyers will reflect that. (Not bad, not less, just your buyer will need to have your same priorities. Most of us don't buy for resell anyway.)

Since we are all allowed to be different... I like Class 8 Volvo Condo sleepers for a toter...
http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/39
They get nearly the same mileage towing than a pickup (and better than a Class 5). And the Class 8 have BRAKES!!! Real brakes! and LOTS of gears for going UP and DOWN mtns. and Used... they are about 1/4th th cost of a Pickup and will usually last longer, even buying them used.

I have used Class 8's for daily drivers too, but it is a bit overkill for groceries.

Fiends have a ramp for a Canadian diesel Smart Car that will fit cross-ways behind the sleeper. USA versions of Smart are too long (5mph bumpers), and USA Smart Cars did not have diesel option. I have seen various 'inclined' ramps for USA cars behind cab of class 8. Often a Saturn.

Since I'm currently using a Class B, I just rack a light Motorcycle that gets 100mpg.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-24-2019 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-24-2019, 06:50 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ah, after looking at the cost to store the truck (if we bought the 2018), and the financed payments (just until the end of the year) and not using it for 6 months, it actually makes more sense (so far) to build a 2019 and have it ready when we are.

It may turn out to be the same with the 5th wheel. Have to see about that.
I would go with the 2018 truck. The redesigned 2019 probably has some new design flaw(s) that haven't been discovered yet. Personally I stay away from the first year anything was majorly redesigned.

Good luck on figuring out what you want to do. We have been doing something similar but at a smaller scale. Instead of new in the last 2 weeks we bought a 2004 Ram 1500 with factory tow package and a 2004 27' TT. We have never camped and figured we could not lose as much $ if we decided we didn't like camping. Plus figured trying camping first would be way better than jumping directly into full time RV living.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I would go with the 2018 truck. The redesigned 2019 probably has some new design flaw(s) that haven't been discovered yet. Personally I stay away from the first year anything was majorly redesigned.

Good luck on figuring out what you want to do. We have been doing something similar but at a smaller scale. Instead of new in the last 2 weeks we bought a 2004 Ram 1500 with factory tow package and a 2004 27' TT. We have never camped and figured we could not lose as much $ if we decided we didn't like camping. Plus figured trying camping first would be way better than jumping directly into full time RV living.
Very wise. You won't lose much if anything if you decide camping isn't for you and want to sell. Some people go all out and buy huge rigs and a year or two later decide to get out and sell and are shocked how much money they will lose. I had an RV dealer friend once tell me, he has seen people cry when they find out how much their rig is worth when they want to sell it on consignment.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Good point on the new vehicles and design flaws, will keep that in mind when comparing the two.

I am aware of the depreciation on 5th wheels, and yeah, we only plan on living in it for a few years until we buy a home, ideally 3 years would match what we want to do. We figure after that amount of time, we will be quite tired of it. May keep, may sell.

That's why we are not getting a dually, because I wanted a truck we could keep even if we don't RV.

Heck, we have a good time camping in tents, so I'm sure we won't be miserable in a 5th wheel.

Sam, you are towing a 27' with a 1500? That must be kinda close to the max tow rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing