Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 04:12 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times

Advertisements

Just bought a 90's Hall Mark pop up truck camper at a hugely discounted price. The gears made to lift the top are broke on one side. This happened during an extremely heavy snow load according to the previous owner who used it for winter camping. Fixing the gear assembly appears to be a major pain from appearances. The local RV shop charges $130/hour for their labor. That is a no go since scissor jacks will lift almost anything and are economical. About $40/jack for 30" of travel and a 5000 lb rating/jack.

I have a threaded jack that works but it takes a long time. If I am tired after a long day, I do not want to spend 10=15 minutes lifting the top. Then repeating in the morning. I'm thinking of getting some scissor jacks and simply removing the broken gear assembly.

Why remove the gear assembly? Because I can't raise and lower the top without using this gear assembly - which is more of a hindrance than a help at this time. It might strip out at an inopportune time and really screw things up while on a trip.

Why is this top so danged heavy? We had an 8' pop up camper and the top simply lifted up and down by hand. This top is ~12' but seems to weigh three times as much.

Asking here? I now have 24 hours of pop up truck camper experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Just bought a 90's Hall Mark pop up...
Do you know where the RV salvage yards are?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you know where the RV salvage yards are?
Sounds like a great idea. Had no idea they existed. Might work.

Found one in Colorado with a quick search: Five Star Salvage Center 12202 Brighton Rd. Henderson (Denver) Colorado 1-800-222-6737 Salvage parts for TT, Popups, Class A's C's, Truck campers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing