Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
A number of years ago when my daughters were twelve and fourteen, our family set out on a round the world journey and for large parts of that we lived out of a station wagon and slept in pup tents every night. I will confess that we didn’t do much free camping though as we wanted the bathrooms of campground bathrooms lol. Now I’m sixty and live in a van so it’s possible to adjust and even enjoy it.
Yup, I was raised camping. And I had two younger siblings.

For people who have always enjoyed camping, full-time (or long-term) vehicle dwelling is not really much of a stretch. In my experience, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 03:36 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
A number of years ago when my daughters were twelve and fourteen, our family set out on a round the world journey and for large parts of that we lived out of a station wagon and slept in pup tents every night. I will confess that we didn’t do much free camping though as we wanted the bathrooms of campground bathrooms lol. Now I’m sixty and live in a van so it’s possible to adjust and even enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup, I was raised camping. And I had two younger siblings.

For people who have always enjoyed camping, full-time (or long-term) vehicle dwelling is not really much of a stretch. In my experience, anyway.

From the time i was a youngster i was tent camping with the Boy Scouts & later the Explorer Scouts.
My family also tent camped out of a station wagon, then a pickup, until i bought a 1978 American Clipper class C Motor Home..."Pure Comfort"......Over the years we have spent a lot of happy times fishing/exploring with the Clipper.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:40 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I'm taking the plunge and have given up my apartment. I had a garage take out three seats and I put in a cot. I will be on my way to Minnesota in the morning.

I still have things to put in the car, but not much. I'm waiting until it cools down. I may have made a mistake of putting my cats cat tree in the car but I figure we'll live with it for the few days it will take to get to Minnesota. I may end up leaving the luggable loo as it's taking up a lot of room. I should have gotten a collapsible one. Live and learn.

I've been on pins and needles for the past week. I decided to give my furniture to the group that runs the homeless shelters and hired two of the men to help me put the rest in storage.

They turned out to not have a vehicle so I had to rent a uhaul, which I couldn't get until 9:00 am. I had scheduled them to come at 8.

This turned out to be a good thing as they put the car seats into the storage unit and helped put a lot of the things in the car, including the cot and my blankets and sheets, along with the cat tree.

I would not have had an easy time doing any of that. Those two were wonderful and worked well together.

So tomorrow starts the great adventure. I have an America the Beautiful senior pass and hope to utilize it on the way to Minnesota. But if I can't, it's a lifetime pass so I'm sure there will be many opportunities.

I'm nervous but excited.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:55 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm taking the plunge and have given up my apartment. I had a garage take out three seats and I put in a cot. I will be on my way to Minnesota in the morning.

I still have things to put in the car, but not much. I'm waiting until it cools down. I may have made a mistake of putting my cats cat tree in the car but I figure we'll live with it for the few days it will take to get to Minnesota. I may end up leaving the luggable loo as it's taking up a lot of room. I should have gotten a collapsible one. Live and learn.

I've been on pins and needles for the past week. I decided to give my furniture to the group that runs the homeless shelters and hired two of the men to help me put the rest in storage.

They turned out to not have a vehicle so I had to rent a uhaul, which I couldn't get until 9:00 am. I had scheduled them to come at 8.

This turned out to be a good thing as they put the car seats into the storage unit and helped put a lot of the things in the car, including the cot and my blankets and sheets, along with the cat tree.

I would not have had an easy time doing any of that. Those two were wonderful and worked well together.

So tomorrow starts the great adventure. I have an America the Beautiful senior pass and hope to utilize it on the way to Minnesota. But if I can't, it's a lifetime pass so I'm sure there will be many opportunities.

I'm nervous but excited.
Enjoy your journey and stay safe.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:39 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
What are you going to do with your cat when it gets hot? Have you leash trained it?

I lived in a Class B with my ex and his little dog years ago, and when it got hot we would spend the days at a park under a tree for shade. He would leave the sliding door open halfway, so the dog could go out on her leash and lay in the shade

Old 06-07-2020, 02:58 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
Quote:

Yet, my heart yearns to travel. I want to tour Tennessee and Maine. I would like to visit all the places I researched while deciding where to retire. I picked Arizona for a few reasons.

The cost of living, the beautiful sunsets and majestic mountains, and most important, my allergies didn't flare up and I could breathe freely. I still have allergies but they're nothing like they were in Minnesota. Oh, and I've even forgotten how bad my arthritis was. I seldom, if ever, am bothered by it.

I still would like to visit the other places and the only way I could realistically afford it is to travel there and camp in some fashion.
Middle and East Tennessee are great places to do some car camping--dozens of places to see.

We once drove 1000 miles north of Boston to the end of the road. Found what we were looking for in Camden, Maine--Lobster Shacks and a small harbor with a bunch of wooden tall masted sailing ships. The B&B's of the area are magnificent--homes of the ship captains.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Made it to my brothers but for some reason internet isn't working for me there, so am at my sister's.

The cat traveled very well. I'm really pleased with how she was. We'll stay at my brothers until fall. She's not 'harness ready' but doesn't want to go outside yet. By fall she should be wearing a harness.

I think because she was at the shelter for so many months, she's grateful I took her along. She doesn't want to go outside yet, which is too bad because it's so beautiful here. But, I let her do what she's comfortable with.

I'm looking into getting my own internet at my brothers but until then, communication will be sporadic.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:52 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Made it to my brothers but for some reason internet isn't working for me there, so am at my sister's.

The cat traveled very well. I'm really pleased with how she was. We'll stay at my brothers until fall. She's not 'harness ready' but doesn't want to go outside yet. By fall she should be wearing a harness.

I think because she was at the shelter for so many months, she's grateful I took her along. She doesn't want to go outside yet, which is too bad because it's so beautiful here. But, I let her do what she's comfortable with.

I'm looking into getting my own internet at my brothers but until then, communication will be sporadic.
I'm very happy you got to your brother's house safely...

When I camped/fished/explored from my motorhome, my 2 cats & rottie/lab mix pup traveled with me. I didn't have any problems. Everyone got along great.

Have a wonderful summer, & catch some bigg'un lunker northerns. When I was a youngster I did a lot of fishing up north in Wisconsin. Friends had a cabin they let us use. I caught fish in the river & lake, & put them alive into their pond. The pond had many Cat tails & water lilies.

Stay safe & in good health.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:07 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
My only reservation of doing this was our dog and the heat when we left. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving her on a leash and the door open, someone could steal her.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 AM

I just watched a video on cheaprvliving where a man had a shelter type shell for his cat so it could be outside. I'm sure they make them for dogs too. I'm going to look into it for my cat. I also bought a small battery powered fan for when we travel.

I'm planning on getting a car luggage carrier to hold a shower tent and a screen tent to put up when we're somewhere we can stay for awhile, example: BLM land for 14 days at a time. That will help a lot in enriching space.

It's possible I may come back to my brother's every summer. It is really beautiful here spring to fall. Nine miles out of town on a beautiful fishing lake surrounded by trees. Very peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing