Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times

Advertisements

When we were first starting out researching buying a travel trailer I stumbled upon Josh the R.V. nerd's YouTube channel and I watched video after video. He gives you very detailed walkthroughs of all kinds of RV's. After watching his videos I narrowed down what size and brand of travel trailer I was interested in. Only then did I go to the dealership. By the time I walked in the door I knew pretty much everything about the travel trailers they showed me just from watching those videos.

We own a Jayco Jayflight 174 bh. We tow it with a Honda Ridgeline. It is 21 ft long. We keep its weight under 5,000 pounds. It works well for our family of four, and Jayco has the one of the best warranty's out there. For you I'd look into the smaller Jayco Hummingbird or an R-pod, Casita, etc.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you want to pull a 27-29' trailer safely, you really should be looking at a ¾ ton pickup. SUVs have pretty small payload capacity and that's what you run out of first. Their hitch capacity is also on the smaller side. You also need to look at the combined weight rating, as that max tow capacity is predicated on a bare bones vehicle and a 150 lb driver. So a 9000 lb tow capacity in reality is 1000 lbs or more lower once you consider the weight of your fully loaded tow vehicle. There are people who tow long trailers with an SUV, and it makes for white-knuckle driving. It's especially dangerous when the driver is totally inexperienced and has never towed before. And watch the salesmen. They'll tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale. And finally, stay away from Camper World. They are the sleaziest and most unethical RV dealers in the country.

My rig. 35' Rockwood Signature Ultralight, 7700lbs dry, 9400 fully loaded. Suburban 2500HD with 12,000 lb tow capacity. Class V hitch. Even loaded it tows the travel trailer smoothly like it's barely even there, up and down hills. Nothing white knuckle about it with this rig. Bought the trailer at Camping World, too.

It replaced a 27 foot Outback:

The Suburban/Outback combination was an outstanding way to travel, Large enough for the family, but small enough to park most places easily. I just wanted something with more bedroom space than the Outback provided. The Rockwood provides that with the bedroom slide:

I would not recommend the 30-35 foot sized trailer for novices, however. I'd stay in the 21 foot range for a first trailer, especially as a solo camper. But I WILL recommend the 2500 Suburban as a tow rig for anything. Just a smooth riding, towing rig with plenty of capacity and capability, and they can be had fairly inexpensively. Best part is as you want to move up, they can handle the added load.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
Interesting choice, cvetters. What year is your 2500 Suburban? What's the payload capacity? Never thought of it. We're looking at getting into a travel trailer (25-30 ft range), starting to realize that a used 3/4-ton may be the best route for what we need. Would you say it's a better price than an equivalent 3/4-ton pickup, used vs used?

Last edited by BrianGC; 07-30-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Interesting choice, cvetters. What year is your 2500 Suburban? What's the payload capacity? Never thought of it. We're looking at getting into a travel trailer (25-30 ft range), starting to realize that a used 3/4-ton may be the best route for what we need. Would you say it's a better price than an equivalent 3/4-ton pickup, used vs used?

Definitely better pricing than a use 3/4 ton pickup. Especially if you are looking at diesels. The 8.1 gasser doesn't get the best fuel mileage, but it tows exceptionally well and the cost difference will buy you a lot of gasoline... (and it runs on regular which is cheaper the diesel, too). And the maintenance is way down as well, if compared to a diesel pickup.

They came with the 6.0 as well, but I'd stay away from that due to a limited tow capacity (I think they were limited to 9600lbs)

2001-2006 model years had the 8.1 and 12k capacity with the 4:10 gear ratios. They have a 2760lb payload capacity, which is pretty good. I've loaded mine down and towed the trailer with no problems.

I had a diesel 3500 dually before the Suburban and the Suburban tows much better, and is easier to park and drive when not towing. And it's quieter, which is welcome in the campground. BTW, it's an 02 with the 8.1 and 4:10 gears. I get about 10 mpg regardless of load. lol! The diesel dually got 12mpg, so while it was a bit better, the fuel cost more so it all evens out.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
OP... it's less complicated than you think. If you're not sure what to buy, get a 2-3 year old used one. All the bugs will be worked out and you'll learn a lot.

Around the 25-27 range is good for you. One slide for the living area. Table and chairs for the dinette, I'd avoid the built in, but not a deal breaker, Front bedroom , large shower w/slide (no curtin). A Four season trailer ( better insulated) is best. Single 13.5K BTU "ducted" a/c works is fine even in Florida summers, floor vented heat. 3 way Frig or at least 2 way (propane and 120VAC. If you want it to "last" then strong structure is vital. Expect extra weight if that's what you need. Double pane windows if offered. Pro pride or Hensley hitch. Only SUV worth their salt is 3/4 ton Chevy (08 to 13) with the 6.0, very dependable engine, but OMG thirsty. Me I went old school... 02 Ford Excursion 7.3. The older burbs will be beat. The 8.1 is very capable but burns oil no matter what (1 qt every 1K)

Hopefully you have towed something before. However... If you have a finite window you have more options as far as weight. PM if you need to talk.

Gotta know the budget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing