Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 566 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am in need of some serious info. I am about to buy my first TT😁 I don't have a clue about what brand to buy. I'm a bit leary of asking the salespeople cause we all know they just want to make that sale. I am starting from ground 0. Not only do I want a TT I also need what it takes to pull it. I prefer to get an SUV, but what can that pull? I will be practically living in my TT cause I about to do some traveling to nowhere particular. I ride solo so I need something I can handle, but not too small. I was thinking 27-29ft? Idk. It's all so overwhelming. So many diff floor plans, tank sizes? What? 😲 I know I want a few things for sure though..elec awning would be nice, as well as washer/dryer, but that's luxury. I do want a generator, the bath in the back, and an interior color other than brown. I also want to be able to shower and stuff without being "hooked up" to to parks elec. That's what I want, but what are the utmost important things I should know when purchasing one. Talk to me like a kindergartener cause it's all new to me and I need to understand. I'm doing this solo, and I want to make the best decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM

424 posts, read 581,074 times
Number 1 question is what is your budget?
A 2019 Ford Expedition has a towing capacity between 8000-9000 pounds. However they cost around $53,000 dollars. Most full size SUV's have towing capacity between 7,000-8000 pounds, and in the same ballpark cost. Your mid-size SUV have a towing capacity between 4,500 to 7,500 and cost range from around $32,000(base) to $53,000.
The average dry weight of a 28 foot TT is around 5,200 pounds and add about 1,500 pounds for water and your "stuff" for a grand total of around 7,000 pounds. So, it appears that your "desires" is going to put you in the "full-size" SUV for safety considerations.
The average cost of a 28 foot TT is around $22,000.
So your grand total for a tow rig and TT ranges from around $60,000 to $100,000.

Now you say you want a generator, odds of that are nill to next to none, unless you carry a portable generator which means a truck, but if you don't want a truck, no generator.

I would say you need to rethink your desires.

Last edited by zed42; 07-23-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 03:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
If you want to pull a 27-29' trailer safely, you really should be looking at a ¾ ton pickup. SUVs have pretty small payload capacity and that's what you run out of first. Their hitch capacity is also on the smaller side. You also need to look at the combined weight rating, as that max tow capacity is predicated on a bare bones vehicle and a 150 lb driver. So a 9000 lb tow capacity in reality is 1000 lbs or more lower once you consider the weight of your fully loaded tow vehicle. There are people who tow long trailers with an SUV, and it makes for white-knuckle driving. It's especially dangerous when the driver is totally inexperienced and has never towed before. And watch the salesmen. They'll tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale. And finally, stay away from Camper World. They are the sleaziest and most unethical RV dealers in the country.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Are you wanting new or used. I recently went through the same exact thing.

This is what i looked for and done.

The main things for me was to be able to stand up comfortably while taking a shower. A floor plan that made sense to me with plenty of storage room inside the TT. A larger fridge/freezer and a oven.

I ended up getting a 24' TT with a overall length of 27.5 foot. I also wanted to be able to comfortably load it with whatever i wanted to take with. So I got a model with a cargo capacity of 1950 pounds after the 36 gallon fresh water tank and the 2 20 pound LP tanks are full. I got a bunk house model to use the 2 bunks and the area under them for storage.

I bought used so if i decided I did not like the TT, tow vehicle, or staying in it I would not be out too much cash. I have around 11k total into both. The TT was a one owner and kept in excellent condition. The pickup is a RWD with factory tow package bought during the winter months so I got it way lower than book price. I took easily over a year before i found the right camper/pickup combo for me. Luckily after owning/using them for a few months I am very happy with my choice.

You could do several things to make it so you can boon dock comfortably. A small generator or solar panel(s) with multiple lithium batteries could do the job.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I say: Go shop! Window shop a LOT! get all the free advice you can get from any salesman who will give it. You don't have to buy from anyone you don't want to buy from.

Looking at all the options is going to be what helps you decide what features you really need. It will bring your wish list to reality.

JMHO but if you are traveling solo, 27' sounds like a lot!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
When we bought ours, we spent 4-5 Saturday’s going to 2-3 dealers a day looking at them, asking questions, and collecting brochures. Then we spent some time looking at reviews online and comparing prices in other areas. Don’t let a sales person talk you into buying until you are ready. For your first trailer, that seems pretty big. Ours is 25’ and the first few trips were a bit intimidating. I wouldn’t go with anything other than an Expedition or 1 ton truck for that size trailer. Regardless of what the dealers will tell you, don’t be anywhere close to the tow vehicle’s limit. Our truck can tow 9,000 lbs. and our trailer is 5,500 loaded up.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
JMHO but if you are traveling solo, 27' sounds like a lot!
I was thinking the same thing. If I were going solo I'd consider a Nash 17K. Perfect for one person and a pet. 50 gallon fresh water tank, 35 gray and 36 black. And it can be had with an onboard generator, which is rare for a travel trailer. It's also towable with a larger SUV or a ½ ton pickup.

Another consideration is the price of an SUV that can tow large heavy trailers. You'll need a max tow package and you're looking at $60,000 to $70,000 and up. A ½ ton pickup with the same capabilities can be had for $20,000 to $30,000 less. Or even less expensive. For a solo operator, a ½ ton pickup will be a much better choice.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 07-23-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
solo... Consider a Casita or similar. (Light / cheap / ez to resell / ez to find small spots in beautiful sites)

Bigger rig is far more restrictive and will add a LOT to your overnight rates (unless boondocking 100%). Still limits access.

Enroll in an Escapees RV Boot camp! (Learn now, buy later)

Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Wow, a 27-29' TT is big for a single traveler. I have been thinking about a TT for multi-month trips, where the TT is my base camp in a place for a month or so, before moving on to the next base camp. I have seen some Nash 17 like Erik mentioned, they do look pretty good. If the pickup had a shell or a fiberglass bed cover to lock stuff up, it could add a lot of additional gear storage space, that would not have to be in the trailer. You could probably haul it with a cargo van too, and the cargo van would provide a ton of gear storage as long as you don't overload it.

A 23-24' TT is the biggest I would want to haul with a pickup truck or van. Anything bigger becomes much more difficult to haul. That's why most people with the large rigs choose a 5th wheel instead.

One other funny thing, is some TT show the length of the trailer not including the hitch length, just the length of the floor. Other TT show the length including the hitch, from tow pin to bumper. The tow hitch length is usually 3' or more, so make sure you take that into account.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veralynn View Post
Hi everyone! I am in need of some serious info. I am about to buy my first TT�� I don't have a clue about what brand to buy. I'm a bit leary of asking the salespeople cause we all know they just want to make that sale. I am starting from ground 0. Not only do I want a TT I also need what it takes to pull it. I prefer to get an SUV, but what can that pull? I will be practically living in my TT cause I about to do some traveling to nowhere particular. I ride solo so I need something I can handle, but not too small. I was thinking 27-29ft? Idk. It's all so overwhelming. So many diff floor plans, tank sizes? What? �� I know I want a few things for sure though..elec awning would be nice, as well as washer/dryer, but that's luxury. I do want a generator, the bath in the back, and an interior color other than brown. I also want to be able to shower and stuff without being "hooked up" to to parks elec. That's what I want, but what are the utmost important things I should know when purchasing one. Talk to me like a kindergartener cause it's all new to me and I need to understand. I'm doing this solo, and I want to make the best decisions.
Unless you are already experienced in towing a trailer, these two sentences are incompatible.

First, tell us what you intend to DO with this trailer. Weekend trips to KOAs? Boondocking for weeks on free government land as far as possible from civilization? Or what, exactly? Your concern about the interior layout and decor is way premature. If you can't define what your travel goals are, it is likely that you will be dissatisfied with your choice. And one thing that is universally true is that if you buy the wrong rig, you will lose a noticeable chunk of money. These things depreciate rapidly.

Second, go to youtube, and start watching videos. There are people happily traveling and/or living full-time in everything from Priuses to 65-foot diesel pushers. Find the person/people who are traveling the way you want to travel, and heed their advice.

And I echo the advice to join the Escapees, and take advantage of their basic RV education workshops BEFORE you buy. They are oriented toward larger rigs (and a 27-29 ft TT IS a larger rig). Also, again BEFORE you buy, you should look into renting various kinds of rigs and taking some short trips.

Personally, I'm with the school of thought that likes vans. The smaller and lighter the rig, the easier it is to maneuver on the freeway and on backroads far from the madding crowd. But if hanging on to the comforts of your sticks and bricks dwelling is really that important to you, you should NOT travel as I do.

On a recent trip, I came upon a French couple who were happily traveling in a rig similar to this - http://davidsclassiccars.com/citroen...n-2cv-van.html

It's about the size of a Honda FIT, and was towing a tiny trailer that probably held about two suitcases. The "truckette" and trailer together was just a foot or two longer than my standard cargo van. They had traveled in it in Europe and Africa, came over in a ship with it to the southern tip of South America, and were traveling up the west coast to Alaska, then on to New York and back to Europe. They were having a great time.

Believe me, it isn't the size of the rig that matters. It's whether it fits your purpose.

Last edited by jacqueg; 07-24-2019 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing