Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,658,886 times

Advertisements

Hi, all looking to purchase A or C class RV from owners. Is there a website that is best to search? Would prefer to stay away from craigslist (scammers) or RVTrader (overpriced). Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have got most of mine through 'User groups' Yahoo or Google or blogs for brand specific.

I have bought a few off CL, but I really screen those, and of course don't even contact the ones that are obviously scammers (very low price and mileage and same single pic in many CL zones) Answered by the same gal in eastern Europe.

I use RV trader, but NEVER through a dealer. (All the 'trader' magazines were bought by Dealer Assc back before Y2K and have been TOUGH to hunt 'one-owner FS by Owner' ever since. (which is all I buy)). At a time... SO nice, as you could hunt By Owner / non-rustbelt locations only!

I also look into RV ads in regions where retirees land and buy a home. There are a LOT of consignment lots in those regions (as in where I am in Texas at the moment). Probably 200 Class B's within 100miles. of NW San Antonio. Even a Casita on a little lot today (really spendy for a 2015 tiny trailer...$13k) Last week I saw some really nice vintage Roadtreks and Pleasureways FS along the frontage road. My mom put her Roadtrek and her Rialta at consignment places in LC, NM, but ended up selling them herself (each brought more than she had paid for them 10+ yrs earlier).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-08-2020 at 10:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2020, 10:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,658,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have got most of mine through 'User groups' Yahoo or Google or blogs for brand specific.

I have bought a few off CL, but I really screen those, and of course don't even contact the ones that are obviously scammers (very low price and mileage and same single pic in many CL zones) Answered by the same gal in eastern Europe.

I use RV trader, but NEVER through a dealer. (All the 'trader' magazines were bought by Dealer Assc back before Y2K and have been TOUGH to hunt 'one-owner FS by Owner' ever since. (which is all I buy)). At a time... SO nice, as you could hunt By Owner / non-rustbelt locations only!

I also look into RV ads in regions where retirees land and buy a home. There are a LOT of consignment lots in those regions (as in where I am in Texas at the moment). Probably 200 Class B's within 100miles. of NW San Antonio. Even a Casita on a little lot today (really spendy for a 2015 tiny trailer...$13k) Last week I saw some really nice vintage Roadtreks and Pleasureways FS along the frontage road. My mom put her Roadtrek and her Rialta at consignment places in LC, NM, but ended up selling them herself (each brought more than she had paid for them 10+ yrs earlier).
Thanks for the tips! We were burned by a scammer in Miami and took a ding to our reputation. Tiffin owners are tough but they know they have a good coach. We try to tell sellers not to get tied up in consignment contracts all the time but most don't listen... Again thanks for the 411!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:03 AM

244 posts, read 235,862 times
I bought my 2017 Winnebago Navion through Craigslist last month after a six month search. Wherever you end up buying from, I urge you to hire a certified RV inspector. It is expensive but imo, money well spent. There are horror stories of buying brand new RVs from the dealer. If you blindly believe a seller, or don’t have it checked out by a professional, it won’t matter what platform you use to find an RV. If you don’t use a certified inspector, at least, be sure to buy a thermal camera, or attachment, to detect hidden water intrusion, the #1 problem with used RVs. FYI I got it for about 20K below market or consignment prices. Try to find one with a clear title. It will save you some headaches in the long run.

Last edited by Djkingman; 02-10-2020 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
OP, you are living in an area of the USA that has a sizable local market in RV's.

Local newspaper ads may be a way to find FSBO low use Class A & C RV's.

CL has worked for me in such markets, but as you observed ... one must winnow through the scammers. Do not assume that a private party will be any more forthcoming, knowledgeable, and honest than a dealer.

If you are a knowledgeable buyer and capable of performing a thorough pre-buy inspection, then the world is your oyster.

If you aren't, then you may be better off contacting the local dealers and relying upon them for the pre-buy and services needed to properly vet an RV. At least with a reputable dealer, you may have some recourse for problems that are found with a purchase ... unlike buying from a private party.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,219,341 times
Check https://www.rvtrader.com/?cmp=Google...hoC8ncQAvD_BwE.

This is the site I used to sell my previous motorhome.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:18 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I bought my 2017 Winnebago Navion through Craigslist last month after a six month search. Wherever you end up buying from, I urge you to hire a certified RV inspector. It is expensive but imo, money well spent. There are horror stories of buying brand new RVs from the dealer. If you blindly believe a seller, or don’t have it checked out by a professional, it won’t matter what platform you use to find an RV. If you don’t use a certified inspector, at least, be sure to buy a thermal camera, or attachment, to detect hidden water intrusion, the #1 problem with used RVs. FYI I got it for about 20K below market or consignment prices. Try to find one with a clear title. It will save you some headaches in the long run.
Having a brand new RV inspected seems kind of extreme.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:53 PM

402 posts, read 369,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Having a brand new RV inspected seems kind of extreme.
Stories abound regarding poor QC by the manufacturer, that coulda/shoulda/woulda been caught during a pre-delivery inspection. IF the buyer was capable/diligent enough to check everything thoroughly. To do an inspection correctly will take 3-6 hours depending on the RV. If you can do that yourself, then great. But if you can't, or don't want to, then hiring a professional is MUCH better than just leaving it to chance.

These aren't cars built by robots on half-billion-dollar assembly lines with integrated computer-controlled quality checks; they're hand built, as fast as possible, by workers who may or may not be skilled at the tasks they are performing or being paid enough to care.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:47 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Stories abound regarding poor QC by the manufacturer, that coulda/shoulda/woulda been caught during a pre-delivery inspection. IF the buyer was capable/diligent enough to check everything thoroughly. To do an inspection correctly will take 3-6 hours depending on the RV. If you can do that yourself, then great. But if you can't, or don't want to, then hiring a professional is MUCH better than just leaving it to chance.

These aren't cars built by robots on half-billion-dollar assembly lines with integrated computer-controlled quality checks; they're hand built, as fast as possible, by workers who may or may not be skilled at the tasks they are performing or being paid enough to care.
Very good points. I would say there are very few quality built RV's and travel trailers.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I ....

I also look into RV ads in regions where retirees land and buy a home. There are a LOT of consignment lots in those regions (as in where I am in Texas at the moment). Probably 200 Class B's within 100miles. of NW San Antonio. Even a Casita on a little lot today (really spendy for a 2015 tiny trailer...$13k)
Update... Was just talking with retirees passing through San Antonio in Used small Class C they picked up for $23k in FL. They found a few equivalent near SA with,< 25k miles for 1/2 Florida prices. So... Look nationally. A friend used to buy cars in DFW and resell in PNW every month to cover his costs of a temporary transfer to DFW, while awaiting retirement. But... I found it an expensive market for used trucks. AZ an NM seem to be my favorite used truck purchase locations. No rust, ez to find a "retiree truck" instead of a ranch / farm truck. (Dirt roads).

Should be able to find an inexpensive "hail damaged" RV in TX. Mine got miniature dents on roof only. $20k claim... I took the cash, and seems to improved my economy / mileage... (Golf ball surface, = less friction / drag )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing