Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Many full-timers are doing exactly that.
Full-timing is not what most RV buyers do. There is a big commitment involved, and I doubt someone who was not already seriously considering doing so would abide by the limitations. Certainly not someone who is doing it as a kneejerk reaction to the virus while traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 04:08 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,943 times
I go on a 4 month journey in my RV every summer but cancelled all of it and got refunds for all my reservations. State Parks that I intended to use are shut down - if there are others like me who've decided not to travel, there will be a big hit on the economy from tourists like me not spending their usual money every summer ($5k/summer for me).

Old 03-18-2020, 04:11 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Did some people experience a windfall or something with the virus? Buying an RV rather than staying in a motel or hotel? Seriously?

Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Still planning for our 2020 travels in RV. They will be great (I trust).

Cheap fuel helps even those of us with 20 MPG MH's. Fuel expense and site fees keep my flying for most trips. We stay in Guest homes... $20 MAX worldwide. Been a great 30 yrs of travel. On the road at the moment (as usual).

Old 03-20-2020, 11:29 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Yes I think this epidemic will make people buy an RV to avoid motels and hotels.
I am retired, sold our RV last year due to age (RV's age not ours haha) and not looking forward to future road trips and motel stays.

We took some fantastic RV trips in the US, longest was 7 weeks. I miss that way of traveling but spouse didn't want the maintenance or mental overhead. Staying in a motel or hotel after 10 years of RV travel just sucks. Room prices have gone way up and cleanliness has gone down. Them spraying the room with 409 does not make me think "that's clean!" it makes me cough and gives me a headache. I know I'm asking a lot when I don't want a disinfectant smell in the room but I really miss my clean RV.

Anyone buying an RV because of covid-19?
If you have an RV you might find yourself without a place to stay. State parks, especially here in Florida, have closed to RV'ers and kicked them out. No reservations at least until mid May, later if this thing doesn't turn around. I don't know what these people are doing who were in the state parks because regular parks have been pretty much booked solid. Perhaps some will start returning home (snowbirds) but maybe not with what is going on. We were considering doing a few rv trips locally, even one to Disney, but not now due to closings and not wanting to go out.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Buying an RV rather than staying in a motel or hotel? Seriously?

For may of us RVers, it's much preferable to stay in an RV rather than a filthy motel or hotel room, AND for those of us with, like me, more than 1 or 2 dogs, motels and hotels are right out anyhow. I have 2 Scottie dogs and a Sheltie. Hotels won't let me stay there as it is. Most RV parks have no problem with them.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
People that cannot afford an RV aren't just going to go out and buy one because of this.

I mean you cannot take and RV to Rome or NYC (I ain't staying in the outer burbs just so I can travel in an RV.
This is going to be a gigantic hit on the economy/market and folks won't be able to afford RVs or retirement like they planned.

Last edited by TakingItEasy; 03-21-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
Well, we had a 3 week trip in late April planned - all but one of the campgrounds (state and county, mostly) have already announced closures. We could just go anyway and see what we find along the way, but without some reservations somewhere to fall back on, I'd rather not. So short term camping, unless it is boondocking, is probably out.

Longer term is all up in the air. Might people decide that airports, big hotels, resorts and cruises are a thing of the past? I dunno, I have always been surprised by how short people's memories are.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
This too will pass, but will be very ugly in USA this spring and next winter.

It will not change general behaviors, but hopefully will change the USA medical system and alert border controls of how vulnerable we are to biological weapons and pandemics.

Airports, hotels, cruises and big events are a way of the world as we know it yesterday and tomorrow. USA has the shortest memories, due to election cycle and media blitz every day. Next year we will be back to normal and flying on MAX 8.

We often use private stays including camping, I expect that to continue.
I also like to owning multiple properties in desirable destinations which each has apartment / cabin + RV spaces for traveling friends. We will continue to host.

Good time to book and buy cruises for 2021 & 2022.

Plan to shelter somewhere besides USA for next winter. Southern hemisphere is probable. Likely RVing in NZ and Australia. (Again)

Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 PM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
We had this coming week booked at a Florida state park, so of course that's off.

We've got 35 nights booked starting mid-April going to Kansas and back. So far I haven't received any cancellations. I'll be surprised if we get to make that trip. Keeping a close eye on that.

I think this is going to have a dramatic effect on employment and the economy for longer than the virus lasts. Don't see a big upsurge in RV sales in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing