Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

To each his own... BTDT on way too many projects.

Spending $5k on a Quality Cargo trailer, then $7k + 3 yrs doing a conversion. Vs $3k for a used turn-key RV trailer...

You can be onto project number 36 by the time you get ready to go. Then you will end up with $12k and 400 hours in a used Cargo trailer that is worth $3k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 04:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Spending $5k on a Quality Cargo trailer, then $7k + 3 yrs doing a conversion. Vs $3k for a used turn-key RV trailer...

You can be onto project number 36 by the time you get ready to go. Then you will end up with $12k and 400 hours in a used Cargo trailer that is worth $3k.
Im looking at a good quality 6 x 10 for $3300.00 and a basic build of less than $1500 (insulation, paneling, some pre made cabinets, and a piece of countertop.)

$3k around here might get you a rusty, leaking, pop up with bad bearings at best.

besides I enjoy having a project to work on, gets me out of the house.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:39 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
Sold our old motor home in February and definitely not sorry. A money pit with bad gas mileage and RV sites aren’t cheap.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

You must have phenomenally good luck buying used RVs.

Friends of mine who both have physical disabilities and can no longer travel in vans recently bought a used Class A. It's beautiful. It is also costing them thousands of dollars in repairs. And these are people who know and understand vehicles. And they are not the only people I know with those kinds of stories.

Also, you don't HAVE to spend $7K on a conversion. Including the 12v fridge and the generator, I have about $2000 over the purchase price into my cargo van. And maybe 20 hours.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
We have a fifth wheel trailer, and leave it in a member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Our campground is not public, however it's very busy with over 2,000 members.

Since so many people are staying at home or close by, Summer vacations are a thing of the past. I look for our campground to have over 200 campers every night this Summer.

As far as sales of RV's go, I don't know. So many people are laid off right now, and other jobs are in jeopardy. But those in solid job situations will be quick to buy.

Baby boomers are retiring in the millions, and they're the RV customer of the near future. So many are looking for good, wholesome things to do with their families and grandchildren. Camping is certainly that.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You must have phenomenally good luck buying used RVs.

Friends of mine who both have physical disabilities and can no longer travel in vans recently bought a used Class A. It's beautiful. It is also costing them thousands of dollars in repairs. And these are people who know and understand vehicles. And they are not the only people I know with those kinds of stories.

Also, you don't HAVE to spend $7K on a conversion. Including the 12v fridge and the generator, I have about $2000 over the purchase price into my cargo van. And maybe 20 hours.
I was using the provided article info and prices.

I follow many starry eyed 'DIY' RV wannabes. Most don't make it.

No rust on our region.

Great deals on used RV's.

I sold (5) RV's for retired friends. All were very little use and excellent shape.

I have only bought less than 10 myself. Family has bought about 3x that many. We have never had large unexpected repairs.

There are excellent inspection guides for buying used RV's.

20 hrs is one weekend. Doubt most folks could do the wiring harness or water tanks in a weekend.

Most of my friends who do conversions in their free time take 2 yrs. A neighbor builds the adventure rigs that people take to South America (RV's on diesel 4x4 dually chassis) he can do 2-3 / yr (full-time) and they sell for over $100k, the fridge alone is well over $1k (A simple one (3Way) is over $500 https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...s-and-freezers

Of course there are less expensive ways to do conversions. I have never seen a DIY conversion bring decent resale (beyond the cost of vehicle)_. so... hope you like it and use it till it is dead. I do that with all my vehicles so would not be a problem for me, but... I could better use my time than building something I can buy far cheaper and faster. If you have the free time, great!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I have a 20 year old 5th wheel that was recently purchased. It is a nice rig for age. It has torsion axles, spacer to raise it up and pull really easily. Took it out this weekend for a shakedown trip. It did really well, did the dispersed camping thing.

I also have an enclosed trailer that I usually use for radio related activities. I am thinking it wouldn't be much to get some cots, sleeping bags, a camp stove, and good cooler and have a rig that I can pull behind the Jeep and go into some more remote places. Throw a tent and a tarp in for more options.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,056,623 times
Have a friend who was layed off as a RV salesman. In TX state parks are still closed but many others are opening up.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Might just be in the Pocatello area; however, this article says RV sales booming during COVID-19 pandemic.

https://localnews8.com/news/2020/05/...d-19-pandemic/

Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Might just be in the Pocatello area; however, this article says RV sales booming during COVID-19 pandemic.

https://localnews8.com/news/2020/05/...d-19-pandemic/
That is a good thing for this region. (not Covid "Escape / isolation" related)

ID is very near great recreation.
+ diversified economy (lighter unemployment)
+ very conservative populace in SE ID (LDS) i.e. they have the dough, and the food and plans (and guns and ammo) to survive worse than a pandemic.
+ article mentions families are the buyers (normal recreation / pent up demand)
+ Covid payments = more cash to burn

In Texas I have witnessed RV sales layoffs (even tho Texas is very lightly impacted with Covid (...so far))

I would guess we are in the 'Honeymoon' period of Covid related RV sales...
When companies earnings and the true impact on people / employment / wealth happen (after the stimulus wears off) could be a blood bath, but I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing