Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 01:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,943 times

Advertisements

I guess w/ airlines not being a preferred method of travel anymore, maybe families are buying RVs. With 41+ unemployed or shaky employment, you'd think making major purchases like an RV or car wouldn't be wise, financially.

https://krcgtv.com/news/local/rv-sal...-amid-pandemic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
We just bought a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 27RL. Just poking around I noticed that quite a few parks are still closed, but enough is available where traveling shouldn't be a problem. Will make sure we have what is needed for boon docking, if necessary. Great way to visit family and staying separate!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2021, 07:29 PM

100 posts, read 64,057 times
Wow. A lot of wrong predictions made at the beginning of this thread.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMK View Post
Wow. A lot of wrong predictions made at the beginning of this thread.
If we could have only predicated how wrong the USA could respond to an infectious disease!

Fortunately.... I already had my RV, and a lot of very desirable rural properties.
I still have my RV, and more time and money to enjoy it... With a lot less inventory of rural view props.

Now to convert this RV to , get 40mpg and burn home-brew fuel.

Fortunately I have plenty of 52mpg rigs (with space to sleep) that go 1200+ miles / fill.

Dropping a $100 bill a couple times / day for fuel on a typical RV does not excite me.

YMMV.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:20 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
This is why I'm keeping, and traveling in, my SMALL car for at least another year. I hope to get a reasonably priced vehicle after that but if I have to wait, so be it.

I think a lot of us didn't see this coming or realize how long it would last. Now companies are having trouble finding employees to fill jobs. I'm not going to speculate on the why's. Way too much controversy on that.

My sister's normally go on cruises together once or twice a year. They were finally able to book one but it's now been cancelled because there aren't enough workers.

I believe it's going to be a long time before there's any type of returning to the way things were, it they even can return.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:56 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is why I'm keeping, and traveling in, my SMALL car for at least another year. I hope to get a reasonably priced vehicle after that but if I have to wait, so be it.

I think a lot of us didn't see this coming or realize how long it would last. Now companies are having trouble finding employees to fill jobs. I'm not going to speculate on the why's. Way too much controversy on that.

My sister's normally go on cruises together once or twice a year. They were finally able to book one but it's now been cancelled because there aren't enough workers.

I believe it's going to be a long time before there's any type of returning to the way things were, it they even can return.
Without getting political, companies were having trouble getting employees before the pandemic. A lot of people just don't want to work, how they get by is beyond me. Now back to our regular scheduled program.

I have an older smaller RV in good shape that I plan to keep and travel with more when when I retire in a few years. For now it's weekend jaunts and one long vacation a year in it. I like the lifestyle but not sure I will ever full time. I like having a home base.

MEO, I think you have a good gig going with summers in Minnesota and get the heck out when winter comes.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:24 AM

The beauty of this is, you don't have to give up your home base. It's a decision only you can make. Some Nomads are buying property to have a home base when they need or want one.

Yes, I feel very lucky for the opportunity I've been given. The trailer was just sitting empty and needed a person, I didn't need, but certainly could use, the trailer while I'm here. It would actually be easy for me to live in one all year but I'm too frugal to pay for the gas it would take to haul it around.

It's a matter of what you are willing to give up. I can't see either of my sister's living as I do, without the luxury of their homes. And, to be honest, it I hadn't been for the recession and being laid off at the time, I wouldn't be where I am now. In fact, it would never have occurred to me, and it didn't.

I'm glad now that I was forced to choose between paying rent or traveling. I couldn't do both but oh, how I longed to travel! If a person can have a home base and travel, that's got to be a sweet life. Worth all the years put in to be able to do it.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. Most cruise lines are staffed with workers from overseas. Last time I checked, there wasn't a shortage of overseas workers. However, there is some issue with availability of vaccines in foreign countries.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This doesn't make any sense. Most cruise lines are staffed with workers from overseas. Last time I checked, there wasn't a shortage of overseas workers. However, there is some issue with availability of vaccines in foreign countries.
I think that is the problem. They have to be vaccinated prior to working and that hasn't been happening. There is not 'some issue' with availability, but, according to the news, unless they are all wrong, there are major issues with that. They could all be wrong I suppose.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
The beauty of this is, you don't have to give up your home base. It's a decision only you can make. Some Nomads are buying property to have a home base when they need or want one.
... If a person can have a home base and travel, that's got to be a sweet life. Worth all the years put in to be able to do it.
we do this on the Econo Scale...

All of our homes have multiple living spaces + RV hookups and are rural with view and shops / picnic areas.
None were over $150k, all are rented FT (main house), with bunkhouse / cabin + shop for us, and RV hook-ups for traveling friends.
All are near airports with cheap flights (much cheaper than fuel / time to drive between homes)..
*Spare cars at each location are typically a minivan under $1000 with a hitch for towing up to 3500#. Tho I have plenty of 50mpg VW diesels at each location if needed. (they only cost me $35 - $100 to buy)

Insurance (for cars and homes) is about to explode in cost. Still can cover with rents, but will reduce the extra funds we have been able to put into the properties as improvements. All will be sold when we decide to stay parked some day. Will sell them on contract with 30% down, so rental type income will be sustained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing