Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Another reason I'm glad I kept my Minnesota residency. Not only because I will come every year regardless, to see family, but insurance rates were lower than Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 06:17 AM

451 posts, read 424,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Another reason I'm glad I kept my Minnesota residency. Not only because I will come every year regardless, to see family, but insurance rates were lower than Arizona.

Hey meo I enjoy reading your posts.

Just maybe something to check out. I am former Mn resident and a nomad. I found out about South Dakota residency and switched over.

They have a really easy system that encourages nomads.

I drove to Souix Falls and Set up a mail permanent address with a company there. That costs me $150.00 a year and they hold your mail and give you the address. They help register your car and plates.

Stay one night in a hotel. Take the hotel receipt to the DMV and get a license right there. Use your new address which they accept.

My car insurance is less. Registration for car is less. Medicare plan is less. No state income tax.

I guess a lot of Rvers use SD. Anyway Im happy. Maybe Minny works best for you. Just an idea to check it out.

Safe travels and enjoy the rest of the season in Minnesota.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:11 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I've heard of the South Dakota solution and do think about it. Right now I'm staying with MN because of my doctors.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:21 AM

319 posts, read 199,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've heard of the South Dakota solution and do think about it. Right now I'm staying with MN because of my doctors.
That is a factor not often discussed.

After years of bouncing around medical establishments, I found a doctor I really-really like. I also have a vet who has been a wonder at treating the medical conditions of my dogs. They are a breed whose genetic defects include heart/respiratory problems. The town has a compounding pharmacy for their meds.

I'd fulltime in a red hot minute, but sometimes you get tied to a place that doesn't make it easy to domicile and RV. We compromise by using it as a winter spot, owning a condo. That came in real handy with the COVID lockdown. We have several RV friends who were in a tight spot, resorting to mooch docking in family driveways for as long as they were allowed.

Escapees is a good source for details of the easiest states from which to domicile. However, sometimes the circumstances don't line up.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:05 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times
the OP, FWIW, was spot on. going to the hershey rv show next month and the dealers are taking order for 2023 as 2022 are sold out unless shifts are added at the plants.

the bright side is, I can get about 2x for my class C than I could have when the OP started this...

Old 08-17-2021, 10:56 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
The other thing that has pushed many to buy RVs in the past year is the sky-high price of motel/hotel accommodations. In addition, you can prepare many or most meals in an RV instead of eating at restaurants or buying fast food, and the potential for cost savings really adds up.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:53 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The other thing that has pushed many to buy RVs in the past year is the sky-high price of motel/hotel accommodations. In addition, you can prepare many or most meals in an RV instead of eating at restaurants or buying fast food, and the potential for cost savings really adds up.
I wouldn't do it with cost savings in mind. Gas mileage, park or RV park costs, and such. Depends on what you do. I like having the convenience of all my stuff with me, ability to stay clean and such (vs camping), I DO like having my type of food with me, and..... our dog goes everywhere with us.

I can dry camp for a week, but after that I prefer hook ups. We had to buy lots of stuff once we got the 5th wheel, like generators, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-18-2021, 04:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
We just came home after almost 6 months on the road in our 5th wheel camper. It was cheaper than staying in hotels/motels would have been, but that's not to say it was cheap. We stayed in 38 different campgrounds and covered almost 8,000 miles towing (Florida to California on a southern route up to Washington state and then back along a northern route).

We spent $2,600 on fuel and $5,800 on campgrounds which comes out to about $50 a night. That sounds like a bargain compared to hotels, but consider we also invested $80,000 on our camper/truck rig and it's depreciating (in normal times, maybe not so much right now ) all the time regardless if we use it or not.

I wouldn't know how to begin figuring how much we spent on food in the camper versus what we would have spent on restaurants, but that would add up. Also, insurance and a pile of other small expenses would affect the final calculation.

IMO it's kind of a wash. If you want a camper and you're going to actually use it a lot, it can make sense versus hotels. You will need to tie up significant money in the equipment, though, with no guarantee how much you'll get back when you're ready to move on.

One last thing, I don't see any shortage of RVs for sale. We must have passed hundreds of RV dealers and all of them seem to have a good amount of inventory sitting in plain view.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
We just came home after almost 6 months on the road in our 5th wheel camper. It was cheaper than staying in hotels/motels would have been, but that's not to say it was cheap. We stayed in 38 different campgrounds and covered almost 8,000 miles towing (Florida to California on a southern route up to Washington state and then back along a northern route).
We spent $2,600 on fuel and $5,800 on campgrounds which comes out to about $50 a night. ..
Thx for the detailed info,

Would be nice to see an estimate for average cost per day and cost per mile for different RV classes, then each type of traveler could plug in their preference and miles / day / month. Is there such a website?

I do this with a spreadsheet that includes RV types, (campervan to Class A) as well as side-by-side comparison for car / hotel, and Fly-rent-drive. (Hitchhiking as per youth years always wins on cost).

$2600 for fuel during 6 months 8000 miles seems pretty reasonable. ($14 / day). I seem to often spend 5x / day that much in my 20mpg RV. I need to quit wandering around and learn to stay off the road.

Congrats on your safe trip and return home. Diagonally /circular across USA lower 48 is a long and interesting trip. Glad you could cover that distance during Covid.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:13 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$2600 for fuel during 6 months 8000 miles seems pretty reasonable. ($14 / day). I seem to often spend 5x / day that much in my 20mpg RV. I need to quit wandering around and learn to stay off the road.

Congrats on your safe trip and return home. Diagonally /circular across USA lower 48 is a long and interesting trip. Glad you could cover that distance during Covid.
I figure it costs us $70 in fuel each time we hitch the truck and move the camper a couple hundred miles. Moving days are expensive so we like to stay several nights at any campground worth staying in. We have a diesel F350 that averages 12 MPG when towing and maybe 20 MPG unladen on the highway.

This is our travel map from this year. The circled numbers are the number of nights at each stop.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/7...+Map+final.jpg

We did a similar trip last year, but went east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing