Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times

Advertisements

Yes I think this epidemic will make people buy an RV to avoid motels and hotels.
I am retired, sold our RV last year due to age (RV's age not ours haha) and not looking forward to future road trips and motel stays.

We took some fantastic RV trips in the US, longest was 7 weeks. I miss that way of traveling but spouse didn't want the maintenance or mental overhead. Staying in a motel or hotel after 10 years of RV travel just sucks. Room prices have gone way up and cleanliness has gone down. Them spraying the room with 409 does not make me think "that's clean!" it makes me cough and gives me a headache. I know I'm asking a lot when I don't want a disinfectant smell in the room but I really miss my clean RV.

Anyone buying an RV because of covid-19?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 12:09 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Yes I think this epidemic will make people buy an RV to avoid motels and hotels.
I am retired, sold our RV last year due to age (RV's age not ours haha) and not looking forward to future road trips and motel stays.

We took some fantastic RV trips in the US, longest was 7 weeks. I miss that way of traveling but spouse didn't want the maintenance or mental overhead. Staying in a motel or hotel after 10 years of RV travel just sucks. Room prices have gone way up and cleanliness has gone down. Them spraying the room with 409 does not make me think "that's clean!" it makes me cough and gives me a headache. I know I'm asking a lot when I don't want a disinfectant smell in the room but I really miss my clean RV.

Anyone buying an RV because of covid-19?
Expensive non-solution to a problem that requires a different way of looking at human contact to effect any risk reduction.

RV travelers would not have as much risk from motel rooms, sure. They still have to legally dispose of their own waste at a designated RV dump station. You wear gloves while doing so, but do you do that or disinfect every time you fill your water containers? Or connect to electricity? What about the many times you pump gas and use credit card or cash? Do you stay in your RV to avoid tourist places, thereby negating a big reason that people travel in the first place? If so, you’re just driving around in your own land-based isolation cruise ship. You might as well stay at home until the high risk period settles down. Just as with influenza and nororvirus epidemics.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:19 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Probably not, because if it really does get bad, people will stop traveling.

No motels, no campgrounds, no flights, no cruises. Stay at home.

Myself, I have a travel trailer because I don't like staying in motel,. but it has nothing to do with corona virus.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We already bought one, two years ago, and yes, we would be far more confident staying in it at a campground than in a hotel. Still, I doubt that sales will surge. In fact, our dealer just reduced their hours because it’s been quiet, despite this being the start of peak sales season.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:59 AM

402 posts, read 369,567 times
If anything I bet sales will fall off. People are freaking the heck out over this and stockpiling toilet paper and dry beans. So I highly doubt that they will also start impulse-buying RVs.

Last edited by rumline; 03-09-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Covid-19 is likely under control in < 3 months (though not ever gone).

Hope very few travelers spring for RV with that short notice decision.

I feel a whole lot better using guest homes than hotels. For last 30 yrs, All have been very clean and typically < 10 ,(carefully screened) guests / yr use each bed. Far different than 300+ of 'who knows who?'

Traveled over 50% of 2019, used <10 hotels.

2020 will be an RV year. Welcoming low fuel costs.!
Booking cruises out through 2021, very cheap rates today! (If cruise line does not go broke). Cruise beds do not gross me out like motel beds. (Who slept here in the last week? )

Talking with a hazmat team who cleans motel rooms from crime scenes...
You don't want to know... Doubt that is a thing for most guesthomes or b&b.

Covid-19.... Probably be sleeping in the car more.! I often prefer to hotel. Shower daily at community pool, sport center.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
For smaller (sub-26') RV's, I'm expecting an economic downturn that will knock down the prices on new RV's, but boost or maintain the prices on older "last legs" class-C's and maybe travel trailers.

Right now, prices for anything newer than 2008 are high due to people trying to monetize RVs with Outdoorsy and RVshare. Also, there was recently a lot of disposable income out there for people to sign up for (or have signed up for) 600/mo financing on "brand new" 2017-2020 models over the last 5 years.

Likewise, rents are high and rising, so the older Class-C's, (1994 and older) were snapped up at the sub-$7000 price point by people looking for alternative living arrangements. Van-lifers by necessity rather than by choice. I know because I was interested in buying a ~$4000 class-C and found that they would be sold within days, sometimes hours, of hitting craigslist.

However, with the bottom falling out of the market and the economy nose-diving into recession with the 1-2 punch of Coronavirus (which is going to get a LOT worse before it gets better) and the massive shock of a 30% drop in oil prices due to the price war between the Saudis and the Russians, lots of people are going to lose their jobs by year's end, if not sooner. The disposable income that allowed them to make those payments on a new RV (plus pay for the truck to haul it, go on the vacation to use it, and afford the rental space to park it) is going to dry up.

Dealers will repo a lot of 2017-2020 models, plus have their own purchase stock they can't move. Just to avoid extra warehousing costs as their lots fill up, they'll have to sell the repo'd RV's at-or-below cost. Wholly-owned RV's (of every age and condition, but mostly newer) will be put up on Craigslist by owners who need to make rent more than they need their toyhauler. Basically a massive glut across the board. Vacation travel is going to take a big hit, so the demand generated by outdoorsy and RVshare willl evaporate. Lots of sellers, no buyers, and some of those sellers will get desperate and take losses on selling the RV because they need the money to avoid losing the house. It'll be great time to buy new[er], if you can afford it, and have some plan to use it (or can sit on it for a while if you own your own covered parking).

Meanwhile, the demand for sub-$6000 rV's will proably hold steady or increase slightly. People who lose their jobs, but built up a little bit of savings, who can't afford their 1500/mo rent for more than 4-5 more months, will buy the older, cheaper RV's and try to avoid homelessness through van life.

Just roughly, I'd guess that the entry-level (like a--today's dollars-- $11K 20' bunkhouse) 2018-era will take a 25-30% haircut.

1989-era class-C's that still run ($5K range) will probably get a 10% bump.

I couldn't begin to guess the economics of the big boys, because I'm not interested in them so I don't track that world.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
People that cannot afford an RV aren't just going to go out and buy one because of this.

I mean you cannot take and RV to Rome or NYC (I ain't staying in the outer burbs just so I can travel in an RV.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Imho, sales will tank, like the rest of the economy. Should be some real bargains though if someone is in the market.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Expensive non-solution to a problem that requires a different way of looking at human contact to effect any risk reduction.

RV travelers would not have as much risk from motel rooms, sure. They still have to legally dispose of their own waste at a designated RV dump station. You wear gloves while doing so, but do you do that or disinfect every time you fill your water containers? Or connect to electricity? What about the many times you pump gas and use credit card or cash? Do you stay in your RV to avoid tourist places, thereby negating a big reason that people travel in the first place? If so, you’re just driving around in your own land-based isolation cruise ship. You might as well stay at home until the high risk period settles down. Just as with influenza and nororvirus epidemics.
Many full-timers are doing exactly that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing