Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 04:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Americans eager to hit the road during the pandemic are fueling a boom in RV sales and travel. Sales of recreational vehicles are surging, along with bookings at RV campgrounds, as vacationers seek ways to travel safely and explore nature. (June 15)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rv-sales-...172330480.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 06:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
We were in our RV the last week in a member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia. Our campground has 300 campsites, and it was maybe half full.

There are usually more campers, but it's obvious many people are still quarantining themselves somewhat. And there also are a number of campers on the road that would usually be at home had they not been gone due to the pandemic.

One big reason RV sales are up is that Baby Boomers are becoming of retirement age and looking for something family related that's good, clean fun. They're doing like us and taking their grandkids with them.

It's almost a shame that we have full hookups including cable television and a great WIFI system in our campground. It's barely like camping.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

It's almost a shame that we have full hookups including cable television and a great WIFI system in our campground. It's barely like camping.
It isn't camping. Not any more than staying in a hotel or a cabin complex is camping. A motor-home or 5th wheel is basically a portable apartment or hotel room. A pop up camper might be more akin to camping.

Also staying in a crowded subdivision or basically a paved parking lot with RVs lined up side by side is not realistically camping regardless of any other definitions.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-17-2020 at 07:50 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 08:05 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Americans eager to hit the road during the pandemic are fueling a boom in RV sales and travel.
In about 6-12 months there will be some bargains to be had when they go to sell them.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In about 6-12 months there will be some bargains to be had when they go to sell them.
Doesn't it usually take several years of "I will use it more next year" before they sell?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:12 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
From what I have seen about three years of wondering why the trailer has not been moved from the driveway, side of the house or backyard. Or the question at the dinner table, "exactly why are we paying for storage on a trailer we have used twice?"

Old 06-17-2020, 10:20 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It isn't camping. Not any more than staying in a hotel or a cabin complex is camping. A motor-home or 5th wheel is basically a portable apartment or hotel room. A pop up camper might be more akin to camping.

Also staying in a crowded subdivision or basically a paved parking lot with RVs lined up side by side is not realistically camping regardless of any other definitions.
The major reason I continue to use my popup trailer. If I'm camping, I need a place to sleep and a place to relax after hiking (at least some sightseeing) and cook something simple. DO NOT want to tow a large trailer a few hundred miles just to spend more time adjusting the satellite dish than to actually get out and hike in the forest, desert, etc. Also, I can take my off-road popup to places the big guys cannot go and camp with no one in sight.

And only on Federally managed lands such as forests or BLM. State campgrounds and large commercial campgrounds like KOA are more like a Walmart parking lot without the giant store.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
From what I have seen about three years of wondering why the trailer has not been moved from the driveway, side of the house or backyard. Or the question at the dinner table, "exactly why are we paying for storage on a trailer we have used twice?"
agreed... takes ~ 3 yrs to realize you are not using and will not use in the future. By then, depreciation is in full swing! (and need for repairs of all seals / moving parts / tires at 7 yrs... )

BUT... if you are starving (lose income unexpectedly...) you may escape the house payment and head out in the rig!, or bring the rig to a homeless camp (city park), Lots can and will change in 36 months.

Check back:0

Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
My camping trips planned for this summer have all been cancelled. I'll be staying home this year.

My travel trailer is sometimes a rolling motel room but usually it is for camping. I don't enjoy staying in the commercial RV parks. Still, it is a way to get out and travel with somewhat less exposure.

The problem with the whole thing is that the
Quote:
......vacationers seek ways to travel safely and explore nature.
will be carrying Covid out into area where it hasn't been a problem. It's not like if they are going to use an RV they will never have any contact with anyone else. They will stop for gas, stop for food, go into the office at the RV park, pass people in parking lots and on the trails.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
........................The problem with the whole thing is that the will be carrying Covid out into area where it hasn't been a problem. It's not like if they are going to use an RV they will never have any contact with anyone else. They will stop for gas, stop for food, go into the office at the RV park, pass people in parking lots and on the trails.

Maybe....I drove 1500 miles from Arizona to Washington state in late March.

Talked to TWO people. One at my request....the other at a Mormon town grocery store to see what "supplies" were on the shelves......given that they probably had a years supply at home!!

Nope, didn't need to buy food, it was in the RV. Yep, did need to get gas so wore my RV dumping gloves to handle the pumps. Didn't need to go indoors.

Nope, never camped in a RV park. Yep, camped on BLM lands. Not many folks around on BLM lands.

Actually, safer than hanging around in town.

Probably will do the same in a couple of weeks. Hang around town.....you will get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing