Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 02:07 PM

396 posts, read 422,033 times

Advertisements

We are finally getting our first Class C RV. We aren't sure of brands and models so any recommendations would be appreciated.

We are considering Thor or Coachmen but open to other brands. The number #1 thing we want is reliability. We will be using the RV a lot over the next couple of years. And my parents will be using it for their trips. So this isn't something that will sit in the driveway 99% of the time.

We are thinking of something around 24 feet, but open to going a little bigger or smaller

This may be a stupid question but how do you all repair or maintain an RV? The only person I know who has one is my aunt and my uncle always does theirs. She lives like 10 hours away otherwise I'd pay him to work on it. How often do you service an RV? Do you take it into a shop like a car or do you do it yourself?
My husband doesn't do cars of any type. He's a software guy. So that's not an option.

thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
This is my honest advice, if your husband can not work on an RV I would not even consider a used one. Get a new one with a warranty and enjoy it. Otherwise, expect to have it worked on a considerable amount with a shop rate approaching $150 to $200 an hour depending on where you live. RVs need the same or more maintenance as a car, but add to that the maintenance for the home on wheels that has its own generator, holding tanks, etc.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:18 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
You might want to check in with one of the many RV forums for more opinions.

Service can be done at the dealer or an independent service shop. Also the maker of the engine (Ford, Cummins...) should have dealerships where you can get the engine serviced.

There are MANY youtube tutorials on servicing and maintaining RV's.

There are also several reputable brands including (but not limited to) Winnebago, Jayco, Thor, Tiffin, and Coachmen.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:07 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
She lives like 10 hours away otherwise I'd pay him to work on it.
Go visit. Pay him to teach you what/how to do.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:29 PM

We definitely wanted a new RV.

My husband just has no interest in working on an RV. Seriously I'd rather not get one than tell him he needs to work on it. After 20 years of marriage you learn what not to push for. He's excellent about taking care of handyman type things around the house and he's a computer genius. But he hates working on cars. He used to work on his old truck but that thing was from the 80s. If he has to listen to a lesson from my uncle, it's going to lead to turmoil in my house.

I just wanted to be sure that you could bring an RV to get serviced because if it was a do it yourself deal, we just wouldn't bother buying one.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:35 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
What are you going to do with the RV? Sit in a campground? Travel from place to place--regionally or nationally?

We have a fifth wheel trailer that stays in a storage lot in the mountains. It's too large to move around much--more suited to take to Florida where I'd sit in a campground 3 mos. in the Winter.

Motorized units are best used to travel in. Class C's are too small inside for our use. Entry gas powered Class A's aren't that much more $ and you get much more for your money.

New RV's are very problematic due to the components in RV's not being of great quality. Often you do better buying a used unit that's had the bugs worked out of it. You can save big, big $ looking for used units that have few miles and nights put on them. So many owners don't commit to the RV lifestyle and seldom use their campers.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:43 PM

My husband is semi retired after selling his company. We moved to California a couple of years ago and have never been to any western state other than CA and Nevada. We planned on spending the next couple of years taking trips to campgrounds in national parks- Colorado, Idaho, south Dakota, Vancouver, etc. We aren't going to be gone for the entire time. We planned on every month taking a different trip and staying in the RV. I do not do ground camping! My husband has done a lot of camping and backpacking and tent sleeping. I want the RV. So our agreement was as long as he doesn't have to go outside and work on it, he'll agree to it.

Class C was a better size since it's just the two of us. Class A's, while beautiful, just looked too big. I want something I can handle and I definitely have no problems handling Class C's.

I just want something reliable. I read so many horror stories about RV lemons.

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; 07-12-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
In 2007 we bought a Winnebago motor home that was from 1993 with 35k miles. It was 27ft. It made traveling with 4 dogs easier and we could stay inside campgrounds in National Parks which reduced driving. Gas and RV sites were very expensive. Yes things break but they do in new ones too. Some repairs we hired and some we paid for. In the end it was cheaper to travel in the car and stay at reasonable motels. We sold it because with 2 small dogs it’s cheaper and easier to travel by car.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:31 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In 2007 we bought a Winnebago motor home that was from 1993 with 35k miles. It was 27ft. It made traveling with 4 dogs easier and we could stay inside campgrounds in National Parks which reduced driving. Gas and RV sites were very expensive. Yes things break but they do in new ones too. Some repairs we hired and some we paid for. In the end it was cheaper to travel in the car and stay at reasonable motels. We sold it because with 2 small dogs it’s cheaper and easier to travel by car.
We also have dogs and have a small RV. We found pet friendly motel rooms disgusting and don't want to board our pets so RV is best for us.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I like BT Cruiser (Gulfstream) class C, there was one on a local RV lot last week, but it was gone in one day. They can be had pretty cheap. (Lightly Used)

We use a small class c VW Rialta 22ft, no overhead bed. 18 mpg.

West coast parks are great via RV. Buy an end of season special, resell or trade before it gets over 5 yrs old. (If you are not a tinkerer).

Generally we travel via Fly/drive and hospitality guest homes($25 worldwide).
Many great and very inexpensive trips during last 30 yrs. Our personal car gets 52 mpg and has a 1250 mile range. It is big enough to sleep in. I added a water pump / outdoor shower. And small frig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing