Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:48 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Even that's a roll of the dice depending on which state trooper is on patrol that night: the dicky one who will roust the trucker and give him a ticket, or the big-picture one who will look the other way because he knows it's better to let a trucker take a breather out of the way of traffic than to drive tired and/or violate his service hours restrictions.
I would hope they are given some slack as that is how food and resources are transported from state to state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 03:18 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would hope they are given some slack as that is how food and resources are transported from state to state.
Or know of alternatives to refer the trucker to.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:34 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That being said, I know truckers are squeezing their rigs into any space they can find, even parking on the shoulder of off-ramps.
Off-or even on- ramps are popular out here in UT, ID so long as they are out in the middle of nowhere ramps.
Use to live in city where big rigs would park on main street and get their 40zzzs and as long as not in the downtown area, the COPS didn't mind. Knowing some of those cops real well, they preferred the truckers sleeping then falling asleep on a two-lane highway.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm only taking my time through September. Have to get my car tabs by the end of September or I would have stayed in Minnesota through October as it's beautiful here in the fall, as it is in so many places.

The only Cracker Barre....
Most states allow you to renew car tabs up to 60 days in advance, AND you can have the tabs / stickers / plates mailed to you out of state! (You just give them a reason why you need them mailed)

You can also send a signed note giving permission to a friend 'in state' that can do the renewal

or...

You can select a mail service in-state to send the tabs, and they will forward them to you out-of-state.

consider those options.

Then... take your time. Lots of time.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:28 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:06 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not only Wllmart allows it. Many sports superstores (Bass, DIcks and the like), some clubs like Masons, some municialities, all kinds of places allow free one night stopovers as long as you stay within reason (do nto put out slides, set up chairs or a barbecue
Also there is what you call Harvest Host camping which for $79 a year gives you access to Wineries, Farms, breweries and museums that allow you to overnight. As with Walmart it is nice to also buy something if the sell things.

There are various apps that will let you know if there are any places allowing free overnight camping which are must haves when traveling.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Also there is what you call Harvest Host camping which for $79 a year gives you access to Wineries, Farms, breweries and museums that allow you to overnight. As with Walmart it is nice to also buy something if the sell things.

There are various apps that will let you know if there are any places allowing free overnight camping which are must haves when traveling.
There is also an online club I just learend about. They just share space with other RVers for free or for the cost of utilities. someare just "park in my driveway kind of places, some are full RV pads with hookups

Old 09-25-2020, 04:26 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is also an online club I just learend about. They just share space with other RVers for free or for the cost of utilities. someare just "park in my driveway kind of places, some are full RV pads with hookups

Is this Boondockers Welcome or something else?

Old 09-26-2020, 10:08 AM

250 posts, read 530,195 times
Default Yep. BW is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is this Boondockers Welcome or something else?
I have a whole trip where I will be on the road for a month all planned with BW sites. I have contacted the hosts already though my trip won't happen until the sad time when my old dog dies (she couldn't handle the stress of living in a tiny trailer at her age and condition). I wrote just to say hello and introduce myself and the half dozen or so I contacted wrote back with very happy "We'll be here for you! C'mon down!" type messages. There was one place that used to be on BW that is no longer and that one bummed me out. It was a restaurant in Fairhope Alabama owned by a retired Air Force veteran, and I really wanted to meet him and eat at his place. He is now a full time RVer so he sold the place. But you can route a nice trip with all BW sites if you dig a little and can read a map in detail. Lots pf places just close enough to main traffic arteries yet far enough to be away from a lot of potentially bad situations. Also look at the Corps of Engineers web page and you'll find some not free, but low priced options.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
I have a whole trip where I will be on the road for a month all planned with BW sites. I have contacted the hosts already though my trip won't happen until the sad time when my old dog dies (she couldn't handle the stress of living in a tiny trailer at her age and condition). I wrote just to say hello and introduce myself and the half dozen or so I contacted wrote back with very happy "We'll be here for you! C'mon down!" type messages.

How do you plan to socialize with the hosts? I'm high-risk, so that makes me hesitant at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing