Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 09:06 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

I be curious since a good number of Walmart supercenters open 24 hours a day. Can one get around the "ban" if they "shop" in the store every few hours throughout the night? Since they would allow RV's on the property if their purpose is to shop including to replenish supplies. That is unless motorhomes are completely banned from their lot at certain hours meaning they are prohibited to even stop to shop there.

I be curious whether RV/camping supply shops welcome Rvers to stay even after the stores personnel return home for the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 10:51 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Parking at a Walmart store has to be cleared with the store manager, because their the ones that make the decision.

RV/camping supply stores don't have parking lots large enough for large/multiple RVs. Their parking lots are large enough to hold vehicles that are being serviced, but not the size of a big box store lot. A Class B or small Class C would be able to park, but nothing larger than that.

This comes from my experience of living in a Class B years ago.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:10 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Some states/places still allow overnight parking. I counted on Love's a lot but was very surprised when a Love's in SD wouldn't allow it but the Walmart ok'd it. That was in Sioux City.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Some states/places still allow overnight parking. I counted on Love's a lot but was very surprised when a Love's in SD wouldn't allow it but the Walmart ok'd it. That was in Sioux City.
It all depends on the store manager.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:20 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Very true. I ask the manager no matter where I park, to be courteous and respectful.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
And more importantly.... Local zoning / prohibitions. Commercial campgrounds and motels have forced cities to ban overnight parking at non-guest service establishments.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:35 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And more importantly.... Local zoning / prohibitions. Commercial campgrounds and motels have forced cities to ban overnight parking at non-guest service establishments.
I seriously doubt this has been a significant driving force behind the prohibitions. The bigger issue is more people have taken to living in their RVs permanently and took advantage of the generosity of places like Walmart to stay for free for days on end, and soon mini encampments started springing up causing noise/sanitation/general QoL issues. Some have been shut down by ordinances, others have been run off by retailers who got tired of having their generosity abused and the headaches that came with hosting borderline squatters.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious since a good number of Walmart supercenters open 24 hours a day. Can one get around the "ban" if they "shop" in the store every few hours throughout the night? Since they would allow RV's on the property if their purpose is to shop including to replenish supplies. That is unless motorhomes are completely banned from their lot at certain hours meaning they are prohibited to even stop to shop there.

I be curious whether RV/camping supply shops welcome Rvers to stay even after the stores personnel return home for the day?
Walmart temporarily halted their 24 hours open when Covid-panic shut everything down last year. In my area, they still have not returned to 24 hours open but have extended closing until 11 pm. In the few states I've traveled through over the past few months, I've noticed that the 24 hours Walmart haven't returned to staying open all night there either.

I'm curious as to how many Walmarts in other states are now opened 24 hours.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have not encountered a 24hr Walmart since Covid restrictions. Currently 11 pm closing at the locations in 12 states we have visited during May 2021.

Truck stops and some fuel / convenience stores open (I was looking for food at 3am this morning when visiting a new city).

Lack of available workers is one reason.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2021-5%3famp

I miss my 24hr Home Depot runs (circa 2005).
Now HD is only open during daylight, which means employees and contractors stand around waiting for the boss to return from a HD run.

For overnight parking.... Having an available restroom all night is a plus. (Once you are at a certain age.

Our county banned overnight parking at businesses back before Y2K.

I usually use hospital parking lots when in stealth camping mode.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:03 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It appears in many incorporated cities and towns I know of its officially forbidden to camp or sleep in vehicles or park motorhomes in residential and commercial areas. Except if there is a permitted RV parking siding or RV park. Its also not too uncommon for citations to be occasionally issued for homeowners with RVs and motorhomes somewhere in the front yard of a residential lot or driveway. I assume cities cracked on Wal Mart and other commercial establishments threatening them with the same nightly citations after residents complained why they get cited if they park on their own lot(residental or business), yard or driveways while the local Wal Mart can be a free for all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing