Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 06:41 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Walmart temporarily halted their 24 hours open when Covid-panic shut everything down last year. In my area, they still have not returned to 24 hours open but have extended closing until 11 pm. In the few states I've traveled through over the past few months, I've noticed that the 24 hours Walmart haven't returned to staying open all night there either.

I'm curious as to how many Walmarts in other states are now opened 24 hours.
None in central Arizona that I can find. Hours are either 7 am to 10 pm or 7 am to 11 pm.

Whatever happened to RV parking at Cracker Barrel? I never see RVs there any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
None in central Arizona that I can find. Hours are either 7 am to 10 pm or 7 am to 11 pm.

Whatever happened to RV parking at Cracker Barrel? I never see RVs there any more.
Still available (where allowed). 3 rigs at our TX location CB last evening. Much more quiet and dark compared to Walmart. 3 permanent homeless camps, and 8 commercial trucks at Walmart + (2) RVs. Overnight parking semi-trucks at Walmart is a bad experience for customers, overnighters, parking lot maintenance and road surface longevity. (Coming from a trucker). There are other choices more safe (for pedestrians and smaller cars / bikes / wheelchairs...)and better utility to service heavy vehicles.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
In the "old" days, Sam Walton really pushed for his stores to allow RVs and semi-trucks in their parking lots where it was permitted by local law.

Now, not so much.

I would say that one of the reasons why Walmart is banning large trucks in their parking lots is that the drivers are dumping their trash and their **** bottles in the parking lots. Who wants that in front of their stores. How hard would it be for those guys to walk to the trash barrels and deposit their waste?

Old 05-30-2021, 11:47 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:

Rumor has it that profits are up with store hours shortened and the associated shoplifting reduced (according to asst mgrs in my area I've heard from) so I wouldn't count on them for permission to park overnight anytime in the near future.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:44 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Rumor has it that profits are up with store hours shortened and the associated shoplifting reduced (according to asst mgrs in my area I've heard from) so I wouldn't count on them for permission to park overnight anytime in the near future.
Geez, CB packs merchandise so tightly in their store one can barely move around the aisles, but it also shields nogoodniks from sight. So I'm not surprised they had shrinkage. Though usually it's the store's own employees who are responsible for most losses.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:28 PM

124 posts, read 108,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I believe several of the Wal-Marts around the country in certain markets began adjusting their hours away from the 24/7 model before covid. Then once covid was present they kicked it up even more.

As for the parking overnight in their lots, here in PHX many of the stores in the past prohibited the practice for a plethora of reasons.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:40 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:

I’m in the Houston metro.

I entered a Walmart at night about a week ago (6/22 has just started as I write this) and I noticed the hours showed opening at 6am.

A few days later I was on the Walmart site and, while looking for something else, I found a memo from Walmart corporate noting that opening hours changed to 6am on June 5th.

Hours here in the Houston metro are Wednesday through Monday 6am-11pm, and Tuesdays 7am-11pm.

I’m thinking 6:00-6:59am on Tuesdays = open...but only Seniors allowed, so that isn’t posted as part of the officially affixed hours on/near the entrance doors.

I’m thinking that perhaps one of the reasons they changed = losing business to competitors.

Around here at least, Kroger has been opening at 6am for quite a while (Kroger doesn’t use the parent brand name in CA, and I don’t think in AZ either, but they own both Fry’s and Ralph’s).

Old 06-26-2021, 03:53 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
Walmart used to be a haven for RV parking, but more stores won't allow it

THere are some Walmarts out there that EVEN if they let you Park there, they would be very far from a Heaven point of view.

I Live in a nice area of Miami, but there are Walmarts here I fear to even leave my car in their lot while shopping in the daylight hrs, Nevermind spend a full nite at the mercy of the unknown.

Pay for your SPOT at a Campground and play it safe, never that Russian Roulette.

Last edited by Huasho; 06-26-2021 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing