Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:00 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

I'm willing to bet the decline is due to what's mentioned in the article, decline in general etiquette of people. A lot of people these days have zero respect for anything but themselves, leaving a mess everywhere they go.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/busin...ing/index.html

Quote:
But parking at Walmart (WMT) is getting harder to find. In 2010, about 78% of Walmart stores allowed overnight RV parking. Now, it's close to 58%, according to Jim O'Briant, who runs OvernightRVParking.com, a website that tracks more than 14,000 free RV parking locations in the United States and Canada.
This presents a problem for scores of self-proclaimed nomads just looking for a place to settle after dark. "RVers looking for a place to park overnight for one night will need to find other places," O'Briant said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm willing to bet ...
Once upon a time the people in RV's were almost all white bread house proud suburban types on a short vacation trip
... the rest were almost all their retiree parents on a longer vacation trip or seasonal relocation.
The exceptions to this norm were rare. Now they're not.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-06-2020 at 03:25 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 03:26 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
Try Cracker Barrels too.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Try Cracker Barrels too.
That's white bread retiree central headquarters.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm willing to bet the decline is due to what's mentioned in the article, decline in general etiquette of people. A lot of people these days have zero respect for anything but themselves, leaving a mess everywhere they go.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/busin...ing/index.html
I agree, the other thing is they park where they should not park. Went to the local Wally's on Tuesday, and two large motorhome, both pulling large trailers were parked right up close to the doors parallel to the lanes, taking up multiple parking spots.

Saw manager coming out to talk with them. Common sense would have been to park far away.

Here's a list of locations that allow or don't allow parking. But I do not believe it is accurate.

https://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Usually it is the community that will not allow it, sometimes for safety / zoning / threat of competition to neighboring commercial RV parks.

Urban areas become a magnet for homeless, /abuse of overnight privilege.
Many Walmart stays are being abused by truckers (Who are also being further restricted by communities and zoning)
There are at least 25 semi trucks every night at my local walmart, and it is not next to an interstate highway.
Popular places like Page, AZ, Cody, WY... Walmart parking can be FULL of RV's.

Travelers can also use other businesses for overnight stays. and soon, a lot more vacant business parking lots.

I do a lot of 'stealth camping' while in transit, rarely at a business.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Not only Wllmart allows it. Many sports superstores (Bass, DIcks and the like), some clubs like Masons, some municialities, all kinds of places allow free one night stopovers as long as you stay within reason (do nto put out slides, set up chairs or a barbecue

Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Once upon a time the people in RV's were almost all white bread house proud suburban types on a short vacation trip
... the rest were almost all their retiree parents on a longer vacation trip or seasonal relocation.
The exceptions to this norm were rare. Now they're not.
Have to agree. I'm in the retiree group - and have a small travel trailer - but have never opted for a overnight @ Walmart. I have used truck parking lots on the interstate (allowed by Pilot,TA/Loves). I've used a Cracker Barrel a couple of times. Using these places are repelling though - usually loud, poor sleep, hot and uncomfortable.

Sadly these transient folks using Walmart draw other issues for the business including trashing the parking lot, leaving junk, attracting crime maybe, making the parking lot unattractive. It probably isn't worth the business that RVers might bring to their stores through purchases.

No Walmarts will be tough for some fulltimers as the price of commercial RV parks isn't getting cheaper.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:10 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
I think the last Walmart parking lot I overnighted in was the one in Barstow last year. There were many other RVs there when I arrived, so I assumed it was OK. We were all as far from the store as one could get, right next to the dirt lot where the truckers parked.

The next time, only a few months later, there were no RVs there and a security vehicle was conspicuously parked in front of the store. I didn't need to be told twice. I continued on my way and spent the night at the Love's truck stop in Tehachapi.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:15 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not only Wllmart allows it. Many sports superstores (Bass, DIcks and the like), some clubs like Masons, some municialities, all kinds of places allow free one night stopovers as long as you stay within reason (do nto put out slides, set up chairs or a barbecue

Yes, I recall the Elks Lodge in Hollister, CA has a lot with electric and water hookups just for its RVing members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing