Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 784 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, my name is Andy and I’m new to this forum. I’ve been a fan and obsessed with minivan conversions and dwelling. Yes I have a home but I’m very much love converting minivan suv into camper vans. Currently I converted my 2011 Honda Odessey into a campervan and it’s been working out great. I just wanted to meet new people and share thoughts about camping. I also do conversions too. Whether it be a minivan, SUV, or a car. I like a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 02:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Please share some of your good conversion Ideas.
I plan to add a poptop to my next minivan. (have it done in Canada)

I have a few friends who have done that and our previous VW poptops were great. (But I don't miss the trouble issues (fires) and SLOW VW trips). Fortunately they were the most comfortable driving campers I have ever used. Little rough in WY winds.

I get a lot of camper conversion ideas from NZ (That is a great place to find minivan conversions (Right hand drive + diesel) Quite cheap to buy and easy to resell. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cat...estedCategory=
Also the Canadians are very creative in minivan camper conversions. An 80 yo couple gave us a lot of their good ideas they have done for decades.

I have a USA friend who does VW Diesel van conversions, (Transporters / Rialta's / and Eurovans) and another friend who does Westy Synchro Diesel and Subaru transplants.

I do want a 50 mpg camper van, but as close as I can get is my 50 mpg B4V TDI wagons. I add motoraide HW heaters + shower pump and refrigerator. I like the 1250 miles between fuel stops (Donut shops or chinese cafes for free cooking oil). The Diesel Eurovans get 35mpg, but I can get 28 out of a Chrysler Penstar, so no need to do a conversion. Diesel Chrysler minivans are very cheap in Europe(~$1000). Good to buy one there and "go camping".

Our first family camper conversion was a Toyota Chinook ~1973)

My FIL built Lucille Ball's LONG-LONG Trailer, so camper conversion stuff is part of our heritage.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-16-2020 at 02:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
We have always hard a full sized conversion van. They are great for road trips, especially with kids. The beds are always too short for me, so I sleep on the floor in between the drivers and first row captains chairs.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 784 times
Hello friends , I don't have the funds to get a full size Sprinter like van, but i try to get the most out of the minivan. Mine is just a twin bed, 27" TV , window AC unit cut out into the rear hatch and an inverter generator for power. Nothing crazy. I hope to see more conversion ideas from fellow members as well.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Long Hidden roll-out compartments similar to tradesman drawers are pretty handy. , especially with the double (opposing) side door access points.
  1. Magnetic strip 'free standing' tents to side or hatch, (Handy to reserve / keep a campsite during the day when you are sightseeing)
  2. Snap on awnings
  3. Motoraid type HW heaters
  4. small pressurized water system for outdoor shower
  5. Slide-out kitchen
  6. Fold-up bike storage

Fortunately I have never had to bother with AC in the climates / seasons I live / visit. (I haven't had a TV at home since 1968, too busy with 'projects')

You can get a lot of good ideas by looking at vintage VW conversions, and spending a day at Class B dealers seeing what's new. Our Rialta has implemented a lot of good ideas. Winnebago Rialta Motor Home (Including a huge 'roll-out' shower) I usually use the built-in outdoor shower.

The most desirable Sprinter conversion I liked was a "Gulfstream' P26(?) that had replaced rear windows with a 6" deep fiberglass tub / extension in the place of windows, then it had an elevated 'crossways' bed with 7' length at the height of the rear windows with huge rear access storage underneath. Was quite nice since it did not convert the dining to a sleeping area. (more like a motorhome advantage). It priced at $59000, but sold for $38000 in 2005, and I have seen some used ones under $20k.

Many options and fun to build very cheap.

I am designing some removeable / portable camping 'modules' for SUV / van use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing