Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 05:59 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times

Advertisements

I've only used the park ones once or twice, and it's certainly not like cooking at home.

I clean it off with a wire brush and I overdo it a little on the aluminum foil. Usually I put a layer on the bottom, once I get the coals going well I cover the front and top of the grill with a layer of foil, so it is somewhat closed in. I'll cook on top of the aluminum foil, and I use a big lasagna/turkey pan to cover whatever I'm cooking. When I put the meat on I usually poke some holes in the foil in between the grates to keep the fat from pooling on the surface.

I've seen people use them at night like fire pits, which is why sometimes you find sticks and wood in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
I prefer to use my own grill when out and about. Whether at home or out and about, part of the preheat process for me is to hit the grates with a wire brush and a coating of vegetable oil on the grates. I usually dip some paper towels in oil and use tongs to coat the grates. It helps to create a nonstick surface. The wire bristles ensure a clean grate.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:42 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
I use them when using my cast iron skillet or when we make "hobo" dinners. What we call a hobo dinner is when you wrap each persons portion of food in foil to cook. Example would be steak, potatoes, vegetables, seasoning, and a couple ice cubes in 2 layers of foil.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:58 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
I've been thinking of getting a George Foreman-type electric grill to plug into the Roadtrek. Space is at a premium in those little Class Bs.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:23 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
You guys work too hard and worry too much.

I use them the same as I use my grill at home.

-Clean out the ashes and start with a light wire brushing of the grates, unless everything's sticky, then leave it be.
-Dump in charcoal and get 'er fired up.
-Right before you're ready to start cooking, go at it hard and heavy with the wire brush for a few seconds.
-Cook food, drink beer, eat food, drink more beer, give yourself a high five for a job well done!

Stop being so worried about dirt and germs. They're actually good for you to a certain extent.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Sometimes at the parks they have picnic areas. The authorities even set up the wooden tables for people to use. Also there exists the dirty, grimy grills/BBQ racks along side the table. I assume the local authorities want people to use them.

But they are disgusting. I see bird feces, insects, leaves, branches, but I also see some stones, and charcoal in there. So someone has been using it. Has anyone ever used the grills/BBQ racks set up by the locals authorities or the park authorities? How do you clean them?
I would never rely on them to be in good repair, let alone clean. Get a good propane or butane camp stove, and use that for cooking. Unless you're really good at cooking over a fire, you'll get a better meal anyway.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:19 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
I bring the small Weber grill, using charcoal briquets. I keep it in the motorhome storage.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:50 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Foil for a day in the park. Sometimes small pans or skillets on the grill when camping, fire pit for the bigger dutch ovens or cast iron pots.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I've only used the park ones once or twice, and it's certainly not like cooking at home.

I clean it off with a wire brush and I overdo it a little on the aluminum foil. Usually I put a layer on the bottom, once I get the coals going well I cover the front and top of the grill with a layer of foil, so it is somewhat closed in. I'll cook on top of the aluminum foil, and I use a big lasagna/turkey pan to cover whatever I'm cooking. When I put the meat on I usually poke some holes in the foil in between the grates to keep the fat from pooling on the surface.

I've seen people use them at night like fire pits, which is why sometimes you find sticks and wood in them.
You could get the aluminum foil grill toppers. They have them in Walmart and even some grocery stores if they have an area for grill items like charcoal lighter fluid, utensils. You could then clean off the grill as best you can then fire it up and burn it off then place the grill topper on for your food.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Many of the campsites have a smallish grill that will fold down so it is over the fire in the camp fire pit. But those aren't for placing your steak directly on the grill. They are for your coffee pot or a frying pan.

But yes, I see the small grills that are obviously a barbecue next to the picnic tables at some parks. I don't use them myself, but it would be easy enough to use them without risking ptomaine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing