Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Sometimes at the parks they have picnic areas. The authorities even set up the wooden tables for people to use. Also there exists the dirty, grimy grills/BBQ racks along side the table. I assume the local authorities want people to use them.

But they are disgusting. I see bird feces, insects, leaves, branches, but I also see some stones, and charcoal in there. So someone has been using it. Has anyone ever used the grills/BBQ racks set up by the locals authorities or the park authorities? How do you clean them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 10:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
I was curious about this myself many years ago. You don't clean them. I scoped this out at my local park. Apparently, people just load the grills with charcoal and fire it up, then cook their food on the grill with a big sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil over it. Not ideal, not like home, but better then trying to sanitize a communal grill that is open to all elements, wildlife, etc. I've never grilled in the park - I grill at home. When we would plan park outings, we would always bring food that was already prepared and ready to eat.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I was curious about this myself many years ago. You don't clean them. I scoped this out at my local park. Apparently, people just load the grills with charcoal and fire it up, then cook their food on the grill with a big sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil over it. Not ideal, not like home, but better then trying to sanitize a communal grill that is open to all elements, wildlife, etc. I've never grilled in the park - I grill at home. When we would plan park outings, we would always bring food that was already prepared and ready to eat.
But can you cook properly with foil blocking the flames?

Old 01-17-2021, 03:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
You have to get all the old coals out. Then use a wire brush to brush down the racks, then use a paper towel with oil on it and use that to oil the racks well. Get your coals good and hot and burn off the oil to sterilize. Here is where I'd use a balled up piece of foil and tongs to re-clean the racks, and then re-oil the racks with a fresh paper towel to prevent sticking when you cook.

and remember, your stomach is full of acid not to help digest food but to kill pathogens, so that's a second line of defense.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:34 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Has anyone ever used the grills/BBQ racks set up by the locals authorities or the park authorities? How do you clean them?
They have been around for decades and decades. If they were hazardous to your health, we would have found out years ago.

As noted above, just clean them out before starting. The heat from the charcoal (300+) will help kill anything bad that is left.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
We have used them many times. Still kicking.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 6,358 times
I've used them before. Standard wire brush seems to work just fine. In my mind, the heat from the fire does some of the "cleaning" too.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You are going to heat that grill up to 500 degrees directly over a hot fire. Germs really are not an issue.

(but no, I don't use them. I have a little portable bottle gas grill that I use if I want to have a barbecue picnic)

Old 01-17-2021, 12:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,905 times
I live near a park that has those public grills and they're used by plenty of people. As far as I know, no one has died or gotten sick from using them or else the city would've been sued. But even if the heat/flames kill all of the germs, it grosses me out, so personally I'd never use one.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But can you cook properly with foil blocking the flames?
The few times we've used them I cover with regular foil. Things still cook properly. It should be the flames cooking the food but the heat from the charcoal. You'll still get grill marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing