Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:40 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times

Advertisements

This author reminds me of the kid that goes out of state to a college somewhere he's never been to. Never goes to class and sits around smoking dope all day long. Then drops out while returning home after 1 semester to say that college just wasn't for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
This author reminds me of the kid.... drops out while returning home after 1 semester to say that college just wasn't for him.
wasn't for him, OR anyone else either!
Not unlike a 20 something evaluating "Best Places to Retire".

Author would make a very good C-D poster on "Retirement forum!"; Hey, you can't do that... (retire early, retire without pension, refer to yourself as retired if under age 65, retire to another country, find alternative HC, take a PT job (for fun)...)

I tried (?) living in a luxury camper van for a weekend during the winter, and I'll never do it again

1) Living? spending a weekend in an unknown rig during the winter is kinda like 'visiting' / commuting through an international airport on a holiday weekend (Chinese New Year...) Not really a comprehensive opportunity to evaluate.

2) The 'Entitlement' generation tends to complain if their Air B&B is not all warmed up with a fruit bowl and bottle of THEIR preferred wine waiting for them.

3) Life happens (everyday you may encounter an unexpected barrier)

I suppose the large expense was a wake-up call... "Could have had a very luxury stay and a boutique private lodge", An excellent idea for a winter weekend in the eastern USA.

RV Life is not for everyone.
RV life in a Luxury Campervan reduces that population, but is excellent for those who desire and are willing to commit to that mode.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:29 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
wasn't for him, OR anyone else either!
Not unlike a 20 something evaluating "Best Places to Retire".

Author would make a very good C-D poster on "Retirement forum!"; Hey, you can't do that... (retire early, retire without pension, refer to yourself as retired if under age 65, retire to another country, find alternative HC, take a PT job (for fun)...)

I tried (?) living in a luxury camper van for a weekend during the winter, and I'll never do it again

1) Living? spending a weekend in an unknown rig during the winter is kinda like 'visiting' / commuting through an international airport on a holiday weekend (Chinese New Year...) Not really a comprehensive opportunity to evaluate.

2) The 'Entitlement' generation tends to complain if their Air B&B is not all warmed up with a fruit bowl and bottle of THEIR preferred wine waiting for them.

3) Life happens (everyday you may encounter an unexpected barrier)

I suppose the large expense was a wake-up call... "Could have had a very luxury stay and a boutique private lodge", An excellent idea for a winter weekend in the eastern USA.

RV Life is not for everyone.
RV life in a Luxury Campervan reduces that population, but is excellent for those who desire and are willing to commit to that mode.
When people find out we live full time in an RV, 1 of the things I tell them is that it isn't for everyone. But it works for us.

Many are envious of our travels around the country. I hint that before taking the plunge to rent an RV for a long weekend. Take it to a campground and get a feel for the lifestyle before you plunk down a huge chunk of cash on an unknown experience.

FWIW, we are in a 34 footer but see all sorts of rigs in campgrounds. Many way to compact for my comfort.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:10 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I have to chuckle at your comments. I live in a Nissan Cube. Yes, I would like more space, but it's what I can afford right now without going into my savings. I don't want to touch that unless I absolutely need to.

All I can say to the op, if this is something you want to do, research, research and research some more.

It's not for everyone.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
We love our camper, but I agree with the article. A camper van is a step up from a tent, but not a place to live.
I lived in mine for a month. But my Roadtrek isn't a slapdash conversion like the one in the Yahoo article.

Whiny crybaby didn't learn a darned thing.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Living in a rv versus a regular house is like the difference between an automatic transmission and a manual transmission.
One requires more effort, more frequent input, and more thought, but totally worth it for some.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
We live in a rural home but travel/camp/explore about ¼ of the year in our truck camper. In 8 years we have put 80,000 miles on our vehicle. Our travels have taken us to most of the national parks west of the Rockies, many state parks, ghost towns, old growth tree stands, deserts and mountains, etc. Our set up is much smaller than the author’s but we travel in shoulder seasons, not in the winter unless there is a sunny break.

As a professional writer, he should have done more research about the systems. I do admit that after picking up our camper from the builder, we were overwhelmed by even the simple controls on our less luxurious unit. But, the more you use them, the more you become familiar with them. We have only had a few mishaps but they weren’t serious and we can laugh about them now as the solutions were more simple than we had assumed.

I don’t think I could live in our camper full time. This is not just because it is small, but I would miss gardening, our big trees and our quiet peaceful surroundings.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:21 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much.

No wonder the owner didn't want to talk to him.

I really had to laugh about the remark that because the toilet space was too small for the author, he'd never use a compost toilet again. As if the type of toilet has anything to do with the mount of space.

I also have to laugh at Suburban Guy's remark that "...luxury camper would have seemed like a luxury resort compared to the rickety dump they currently have". Actually, as a person who travels in a cargo van (i.e., rickety dump), I'd avoid these "luxury vans" like the plague. That is one thing the article's author got right.
A couple of years ago we rented an empty Promaster cargo van for a week from Enterprise to meet up with some friends at an Arizona State Park. We set up a makeshift camper and off we went. It got into the 30s at night (this was in February) but we had lots of blankets and our cat to keep us warm. We did have a small Mr. Buddy, but only had it on briefly before bed and in the morning.

The things we bought for the set up were items that we could use multiple times. Like heavy plastic stackable shelves from Home Depot, that we used for a bed platform, a large cooler, a small fold up table and other camping items etc. I even rigged my own very efficient porta potty for those middle of the night tinkles, lol!

It was such a blast and I never wanted to go home!

P.s. We bought a large sized dog crate for kitty where we kept his small disposable cat box while we traveled. Brought a harness and long leash too for safety when we had the door to the van open.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
A couple of years ago we rented an empty Promaster cargo van for a week from Enterprise to meet up with some friends at an Arizona State Park. We set up a makeshift camper and off we went. It got into the 30s at night (this was in February) but we had lots of blankets and our cat to keep us warm. We did have a small Mr. Buddy, but only had it on briefly before bed and in the morning.

The things we bought for the set up were items that we could use multiple times. Like heavy plastic stackable shelves from Home Depot, that we used for a bed platform, a large cooler, a small fold up table and other camping items etc. I even rigged my own very efficient porta potty for those middle of the night tinkles, lol!

It was such a blast and I never wanted to go home!

P.s. We bought a large sized dog crate for kitty where we kept his small disposable cat box while we traveled. Brought a harness and long leash too for safety when we had the door to the van open.
throwing camping stuff in a cargo van is exactly how I started. 3 years later, I have a power-station-based electrical system to run a small 12v fridge. Otherwise, it looks like what it is - an older cargo van full of camping stuff and cheap furniture.

Works for me. I understand everything that's in it.

My old cat was still alive when I began, and she travelled with me. I miss her like crazy.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:39 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
FWIW, we are in a 34 footer but see all sorts of rigs in campgrounds. Many way to compact for my comfort.
34 footer sounds good for an extended (maybe waaaay extended) trip. Two questions:

1. Do you have a toad?
2. Which 34 footer do you have and what would you change about it if you could?

OK, that was 2.5 questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing