Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 07:40 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

We are sort-of kind-of in the market for a bigger RV. But my spouse seems confounded by the idea of getting inside one to take a look around. As in "How do we know the last guy to take a look wasn't coughing and spreading virus the whole time?"

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Fully explain to dealer WHY you want to take these (legitimate) precautions, If they won't comply, find a dealer who will.

Ask if anyone 'non-masked' has entered the unit in the last 24 hrs (including employees)
Wear protection
Don't touch anything (or wear gloves and dispose of them (Properly))

Schedule your viewing 4+ hours apart and ask the unit be aired out (good way to check the ventilation)
Arrive early (First customer of the day)

Bring a Virus meter! (lots of inventors working on those, maybe you can borrow a prototype)

or..

do a video tour (using YOUR checklist)

Old 02-06-2021, 06:56 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
We bought a used travel trailer last week at a dealer in Lake Havasu. Everyone wore masks and social distanced, not any different than other buying scenarios. The folks at the dealership helped us run the appliances and allowed us to inspect all we wanted without interference. No handshakes at the end though.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:20 AM

529 posts, read 492,054 times
There is enough info out about how unlikely it is for one to get COVID from touching surfaces, but of course that is up to ones comfort level. I have no problems looking in trailers, if there has been some time since the last person that looked in it. Stuff doesn't stay airborne for that long of a time. Everyone of course wearing a mask.

I am in the process of upgrading my current trailer, and have been going to dealers, looking at specific models. Everyone has been wearing masks, and staying a distance away from me. I would love to go to a RV show, but not in this current environment. It is ending up that I will be ordering the trailer I want.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
When I bought the 5th wheel in May it was social distancing and masks. It was odd not shaking hands. It worked out well.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Just use hand sanitizer before entering and when exiting each RV. They say that to catch it in the air requires 15 minutes with someone carrying it without masks. Especially now, it's not likely that anyone was in that same RV right before you. If it worries her that much, go right when they open and be the first of the day.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Be the first person in the doors to check out the RVs right as they open. That way you're the first one inside the RVs that day. Go on the slowest day of the week to further ensure less people have been there and will be there while you are looking. Wear your mask, use your hand sanitizer. Do your research beforehand, know what you want to see, and see it as quickly as possible. There's plenty of really good rv walk thru videos on youtube that you can get a good feel for the RV you are interested in before you even step inside. By the time you get to see the RV you should basically just be confirming that yes this is the RV you want and sealing the deal.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
By coincidence I just received an email ad from the dealer where we bought our trailer. I found it interesting that about half of the models in the add said "coming soon". They are low on stock, as are many dealers now, so apparently the possibility of catching Covid there is not slowing sales.

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/11/...l-limitations/

Old 02-09-2021, 09:22 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just use hand sanitizer before entering and when exiting each RV. They say that to catch it in the air requires 15 minutes with someone carrying it without masks. Especially now, it's not likely that anyone was in that same RV right before you. If it worries her that much, go right when they open and be the first of the day.
That's the best suggestion I've seen in this thread.

I'm the "her", by the way.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing