Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 18,744 times

Advertisements

55 ft. of camper & tow vehicle. 13 ft 6 in. to top A/c unit on roof and 2 propane tanks. Our Trip-routing print-out takes us off I-95, near Washington, DC onto Rt. 401/Van Dorn St then Eisenhower - why would it do this? Avoid tunnel or low-clearance ?

Also, routing takes us I-95 from N.J. T-pike THROUGH New York City, into CT. I remember a tunnel or 2, from prior car trips; correct? I clicked on, "avoid tunnels and low-clearance". But, routing still sent us I-95. And, I also clicked "avoid Parkways" as a different trip-routing service sent us to the Taconac (spelling ?, sorry) Pkwy., with our first camper and big sign at entrance, "No RV's or Campers allowed on NY State Parkways". Yet both of these routing services no nothing of this law.

Someone I spoke to suggested Rt. 18 to I-287, to Tappan Zee Bridge, to I-87 but I can't seem to "suggest" this route to the routing service and so, I know nothing about this route.

I would really appreciate some imput on this - Thanks

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-22-2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: T/Z = "Tappan Zee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Hi Rita203041!

13' 6" is the height of a big truck pulling a standard van trailer. You won't have any problems on an interstate highway being that tall. Off the highway is a different matter. I-95 passes through a tunnel (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) in Baltimore, MD so you probably will have to take I-695 around the city. I know HAZMAT isn't allowed in the tunnel, but I haven't paid much attention to RV/propane requirements. One of the best references you can buy for an RV is one of those spiral-bound Rand-McNally Trucker's Atlas. The pages are laminated and darn near bullet-proof. But in the front is a state-by-state "Low Clearance Location" listing for every state. They run about $30 and are available at most any truck stop.

Not sure why they route you off I-95 near Washington D.C. I haven't been in the D.C. area for several years but I know there is some major construction going on around the I-495 loop. Maybe someone else can advise or ask on the D.C./MD/VA forums. (BTW, taking the I-295 around Richmond, VA is worth the few extra miles.)

You will be fine using the NJ Turnpike and over the George Washington Bridge on I-95. No tunnels or low clearances. The parkways in NJ & NY both have low clearances so that's why trucks and RVs are prohibited.

Today's GPS and other direction finding services work reasonably well. But they can have glitches that will become REAL problems when you are in an RV or big truck.

Best of luck on your trip!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 18,744 times
Default Re: Driving Camper from Fl to CT - need info

Thanks Crew Chief for the information - I'll pick up a Trucker's Atlas.
Rita203041
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing