Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times

Advertisements

I've been full timing since 2008. I did 2 cross country trips. 1 from Maryland to Alaska and the other from Indiana to Wyoming. There is an incredibly beautiful country out there.

I have also volunteered for my campsite. Another option I did was take a seasonal paying job in a national park or national forest. Both included a low paying job with site included. I don't really want to work but not paying for a campsite is appealing to me. Less of my money that I have to put out. Last summer I had a part time job of only 20 hours a week with a free site. I did a lot of fishing with only working an average of 3-4 hours a day.

You can get the best rate by staying in a park for a month. Try to negotiate the rate. Plus it costs $$$ to move. I like to park for 3-4 months at a time.

When running the roads, don't be in a hurry. Take your time and see the local sights. I would have to say spending 4 weeks to drive 5,400 miles to Alaska was worth the effort. The Canadian Rockies are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
The Canadian Rockies are awesome.
One of very few appropriate uses of that word I've read in a long, long time. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Curious what the average amount of travel (miles) most folks do in a day. I recently traveled in a car for 10+ hrs in a day and absolutely hated the trip - I'd think I'm more of a 250 miles/day max type of person (single driver here).

Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious what the average amount of travel (miles) most folks do in a day. I recently traveled in a car for 10+ hrs in a day and absolutely hated the trip - I'd think I'm more of a 250 miles/day max type of person (single driver here).

When we went across country last year, there were some days we did more than others. The first week, we did over 300 per day because we were going to meet up with people. After that, we took our time and did about 200 per day (give or take). There were some days we did under 100 because we were seeing the sights that were in that area. Our last day-we wanted to get home and did over 500.

BTW, there was only one driver. I do not drive (I am legally blind) and when my husband got tired, that was when we stopped for the night. That is what was nice about it, we really weren't on any time scheduled (except for our meet-up) and we could take our time and when we got tired, we stopped.

Cat

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Curious what the average amount of travel (miles) most folks do in a day.
It depends on how far east their starting point is.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
10 hours of driving (or as a passenger) would make me a catatonic zombie!

A lot of people try to follow the 2-2-2 rule when traveling (travel 200 miles, arrive by 2 pm, and stay at least 2 nights).

I follow the first 2, but not the 3rd if I'm asphalt camping at Walmart or Cracker Barrel! If it's a nice place I stay longer

I spent 2 weeks here:
RV across the country:  anybody done it?-foolhollow.jpg

Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I think I could do the 2/2/2 deal.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 PM

16 posts, read 18,634 times
The good thing about RVing is that if you don't like your neighbors, you simply move! Actually, I fulltimed in a 35' motorhome for 2 years and loved every day of it. Setting up camp and preparing to move on both become routine; my partner and I (both of us female) traveled and pulled a car and never exprerienced any of the nightmares that I see posted. You take car of your motorhome, just as you would your home or car, and perform preventive maintenance as needed. We were working on the road as computer analysts consultants where we would have an assignment for 3-6 months at a time. We met so many wonderful people RVing. Gas is much more expensive now, but that mainly means that you need to plan your trips such that you spend more time at your destination, and less time on the road.

I have just recently retired, and our plan is to begin fulltiming once again. Gas mileage is horrendous, but to sleep in your own bed every night and have access to your own kitchen, bath, etc., for us it is more than worth it. Also, for the fulltimer, many sign on at campgrounds for a set period of time to work a few hours a week in exchange for a free campsite and hook ups. That also cuts down alot on expenses. Just my thoughts. We can't wait to begin fulltiming again!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 PM

16 posts, read 18,634 times
We never drove more than 250-300 miles in a day. The journey is part of the experience, and we enjoyed stopping along the way to see things. We also made it a point to always be off the road and setup in a park by 6:00PM, for safety reasons as well as to enjoy the evening and be rested for the next day. We also are not ususally early risers.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I sometimes go for 34 hours straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing