Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Hey rickers,

Did you know that there is a device that you can use that puts out a high sonic sound that humans can't hear, but all the critters can? I've heard that it works great on bears as well as the small ones like the racoons and it run off a 12v battery. Its suppose too keep them at bay for several hundred yards. the sound is so irritateing to them they can't stand to be anywhere near it. You may want to look into it.

Sorry, but all I can say about the poison ivy is,"leaves of three, leave it be",
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Sorry, but all I can say about the poison ivy is,"leaves of three, leave it be",
It's nasty stuff. I used to get it all the time but I'm more careful in the bush these days. A Glacier Park official once told me that Montana has Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and two types of Poison Sumac.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It's nasty stuff. I used to get it all the time but I'm more careful in the bush these days. A Glacier Park official once told me that Montana has Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and two types of Poison Sumac.
In the old days, the pioneers use to put a small piece of it under thier tongues to build up an immunity to the poison ivy.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:35 AM

374 posts, read 1,125,779 times
Default Oh no!

My uncle told me that when I was a kid. i tried it- it wasn't pretty. Haven't gotten blisters from it since then, but I haven't rolled in any either.

Quote:
In the old days, the pioneers use to put a small piece of it under thier tongues to build up an immunity to the poison ivy.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I've heard that before and although well intentioned their efforts were useless at best because repeated exposure to urushiol (the toxic oil in these plants) actually increases a persons sensitivity and reaction to it. In other words if someone claims they don't get the rash from contact with these plants, they will after some time, start becoming allergic to it with repeated exposures. When I was a kid I got it many times with hardly any problems from it, then through many years of occasionally getting it, I started getting it worse and worse with each exposure. I can not afford to get in that stuff many more times. If I get it now I have it for months with purple oozing skin, and when the initial affliction wanes then a more general contact dermatitis occurs for another month or two. As a child poison oak and the others just gave me a three day rash, now it is a long agonizing ordeal. Very few people are truly immune from it.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
I love to camp and prefer the private campgrounds in Ohio near to our wonder ful state parks. My favorite is the Hocking Hills area.

Ohio State Parks - Hocking Hills State Park

Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM

I really like to stay away from the popular campgrounds and just go out to isolated beautiful spots where the bears aren't a problem. I have a totally bear-proof method for hanging food when I camp in parks and heavily used camping areas. I also pack heat when in the woods, I'm not ready to donate my bod to the bear food fund ! This picture is of the type of areas where we like to camp and this place is crawling with Grizzly bears.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Oh Yea! We Camp.

hillman

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I like very much to make camping. Me and my familly make camping a long time. I know campsite almost all states of my country. Here, we have campsite in many places like beach and mountain.
I never thought Brazillians would camp. I know you're country is very wealthy, but I never pictured people like you (who can afford the Internet, speak English, and live in the city) to go out in maybe some of the poorer areas and camp? Any kind of animals or bugs to look out for?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Strange, I don't see the post I thought that I put here a little while ago.

Camping is globally popular. As a hobby, sport, it's popular in all of the developed countries. Some peoples camp as a lifestyle so I suppose that it's no longer considered a form of recreation. If you have a job, a home, the internet - that is a reason to camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing