Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times

Advertisements

We been camping in a tent for years..... but we are now wanting a 5 th Wheel. but it is because I/( me and Kids) will be doing a NEW thing, Sense Hubby has to work out of State and we cant sell this House we will be *camping* for 3 Months in the Summer , going wherever he goes. This way we have more Time together.
Knowing its going to be just me and kids most the time its going to be much easer to haul the Camper then unload everything stay 3-4 days and pack up ,,,and unpack everything that night on a different spot.

I kinda do look forward to a NEW Camping .... Might be nice to wake up and not have to walk to the outhouse, or getting DEW ( sorry our Tent ALWAYS has Dew on it even with cover)

To each its own.... if you dont like it simply dont buy a Camper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You'd like S Cal as most camp grounds are not developed. Most don't have electricity.
I think in Cali, where I grew up, that seems to be true. In the South, where I've been for 4 years now, everything is overdeveloped for my taste. But I wasn't sure if that was due to everywhere getting developed or the area.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Wow! When I started this thread I didn't know I'd get this much response! I do have a funny story about a tent camper. When my brother and I were still living at home, we would take weekend family camping trips to Kentucky Lake or the Land Between the Lakes, here in western Ky. (Land Between The Lakes | HOME)
And one week during the summer we would take a whole week camping in the tent somewhere like the Smoky Mountains, Myrtle Beach, S. C., Biloxi, Ms. After my brother went off to college, my parents bought an old hobo camper, one of those old tent campers where you had to raise the top by hand and lock the supports in. Man we bought it from said it sleeps 4 and dresses 1. lol My parents and I were on our way to Stone Mountain, Ga. with the camper and my little 2 man pup tent. we were on the interstate going through Chattanooga and noticed people honking at us and pointing behind us. My dad looked in the rear view mirror and the top of the camper had popped up, probably pulled up by the air of a passing semi, and the canvas was blowing in the breeze! lol We pulled over, got it back down, assessed the damage (all we lost was a lawn chair!) and fixed the latch and put a piece of wire in to hold it shut. No more problems!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
There is nothing wrong with camping, but I make no bones about it, I hate to camp. I don't like to sleep on the ground, I prefer my mattress. I prefer pushing a few buttons and having my room slide out than having to set it up. I prefer my facilities over an "outhouse."

It takes all kinds right?
Nothings wrong with a tent, if thats what you want. But then again, take a good look at the picture,thier not sleeping on the ground either . After sleeping on the ground in God knows how many different countries over my 21 years in the Military, its a camper for me now . Beside, if a bear get hungry, I want him to work at trying to make me a snack and not a ready made snack in a zippelock bag . LOL

Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Nothing is WRONG with a tent, if you like sleeping on the hard ground, getting soaked in the rain, and having to crawl around your stuff. We elected to go to a truck camper, and then years later to an RV. We did so because we planned this nation-wide tour, and wanted to have our home with us.

For an occasional sleep over in the fresh air, a tent is fine. Its a means to an end, not the end.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Nothing is WRONG with a tent, if you like sleeping on the hard ground, getting soaked in the rain, and having to crawl around your stuff. We elected to go to a truck camper, and then years later to an RV. We did so because we planned this nation-wide tour, and wanted to have our home with us.

For an occasional sleep over in the fresh air, a tent is fine. Its a means to an end, not the end.
Its like I said before, Its great if you dodn't mind being a snack in a ziplock bag for some big bear .

Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
It juat all depends of what a person enjoys, I've owned them all and still own a tent trailer and a truck camper, comfort depends on how you sit up, lots of good sleeping equipment out there, two years ago I bought a tent agian, the trailer and camper have sit, I enjoy camping, I don't want a TV and even when I've had a trailer I only used it to sleep in, I'm outside until way after dark and thats the whole point for me to do something differant than the normal day to day.
Each person wants something differant and thats cool with me, I know people that never leave their RV except to go out and eat, sit inside and watch TV all day it's just whatever floats your boat.
As far as bears go don't be fooled, I've seen one peel a RV off in seconds if a person is scared they shouldn't be there.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It juat all depends of what a person enjoys, I've owned them all and still own a tent trailer and a truck camper, comfort depends on how you sit up, lots of good sleeping equipment out there, two years ago I bought a tent agian, the trailer and camper have sit, I enjoy camping, I don't want a TV and even when I've had a trailer I only used it to sleep in, I'm outside until way after dark and thats the whole point for me to do something differant than the normal day to day.
Each person wants something differant and thats cool with me, I know people that never leave their RV except to go out and eat, sit inside and watch TV all day it's just whatever floats your boat.
As far as bears go don't be fooled, I've seen one peel a RV off in seconds if a person is scared they shouldn't be there.
Thats why I said I like a hardshell travel trailer, they have to work for thiet dinner . Beside, I never ever go anywhere without a gun .

Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Thats why I said I like a hardshell travel trailer, they have to work for thiet dinner . Beside, I never ever go anywhere without a gun .
Youve got that right, I've always got a gun but more for the two legged vermin than the four LOL I camp where there are bears all over the place, I've seen them tear open a car door after an ice chest and tear doors off RV's because they smell food, all I do is cover my ice chests with a tarp and spray on some raid, never had a problem. A campground bear knows exactly what a ice chest is.
the biggest and smartest pest I ever had was a raccoon, I had an ice chest with a latch and that sucker had no problen unlatching it, i had always thought of them as cute little critters but little was the wrong word, that sucker was pretty darn big.
One of my favotite tricks is when your next door camper is a prick then you dispose of your leftovers in the bushes by their camp.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Youve got that right, I've always got a gun but more for the two legged vermin than the four LOL I camp where there are bears all over the place, I've seen them tear open a car door after an ice chest and tear doors off RV's because they smell food, all I do is cover my ice chests with a tarp and spray on some raid, never had a problem. A campground bear knows exactly what a ice chest is.
the biggest and smartest pest I ever had was a raccoon, I had an ice chest with a latch and that sucker had no problen unlatching it, i had always thought of them as cute little critters but little was the wrong word, that sucker was pretty darn big.
One of my favotite tricks is when your next door camper is a prick then you dispose of your leftovers in the bushes by their camp.
Boy, I hear ya there my friend. I guess it comes from too many years in the Military, I watch everything around me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing