Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times

Advertisements

And why would you ever want to leave such a beautiful and peaceful place, HUH!!!!!!????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 201,107 times
I love it!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Bryce Canyon NP, Utah - 1964

Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
I love old camping photos! Looking at the old tents and equipment is especially fun!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I love old camping photos! Looking at the old tents and equipment is especially fun!
The old Rambler wagon is pretty cool, too (I'm guessing that's what was in the picture, but I can't tell for sure).

Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The old Rambler wagon is pretty cool, too (I'm guessing that's what was in the picture, but I can't tell for sure).
Believe it was a Chevy. I recall spending many miles in the flip up seat looking out the back window. My brother once threw my stuffed monkey "Cheetah" out the back window near Vegas and the story goes I pretty much freaked out and made Dad go back and get him.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Believe it was a Chevy. I recall spending many miles in the flip up seat looking out the back window. My brother once threw my stuffed monkey "Cheetah" out the back window near Vegas and the story goes I pretty much freaked out and made Dad go back and get him.

We didn't have a station wagon when I was growing up, but I always enjoyed sitting in the back of station wagons that our family friends had when I had the opportunity. It was fun to look back at the drivers of other vehicles, and, yes, to even make faces at them!

I couldn't tell from the picture what kind of wagon that was, so thanks for sharing. I was guessing it was a Rambler only because of the basic shape, but I'm no expert on cars of that era, especially considering I wasn't even born for a few more years after that picture was taken.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 PM

90 posts, read 289,884 times
Great photos everyone! I'll have to post some of mine one day.

Jeromeville, I was wondering how you like your Aliner? I have seen them at a few of the state parks we have visited, and I thought they looked interesting, but potentially cramped. What's your take on them?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Sorry SimplyTisha, I've been off the boards for a while and missed your question.

The A-Liner isn't any more or less cramped than a small-body popup in terms of floor space. Obviously, you don't have the extra horizontal space that comes from a screened popup. But you do get more vertical space, which really makes a positive psychological difference when you are trapped in the trailer due to weather. It's much more pleasant to be inside the trailer in bad weather (no miserable dampness like you get in a regular popup). If feeling claustrophobic in a trailer bothers you, this will be different.

The only warning I'd give is that you shouldn't use them in high wind conditions (say 50 mph) because if the wind catches it at the wrong angle, it can throw the spring mechanisms out of whack. But that's just common sense.

They are ridiculously easy to put up and take down. Once you have packed and secured the inside, 15-20 seconds is all you need to fold it down. (A lot of people don't realize you DO take them down, I've heard more than one person at a campsite wondering how you can go down the highway aerodynamically with an A-Liner!)

Two separate brands: A-Liner and Chalet. For all intents and purposes, they are very similar, just made by different companies.

The only "drawback" is that sometimes people come up to you with lots of questions, which is fine, but also sometimes expect a tour of the inside, which with my messy habits, isn't so fine :-) You will be sorta popular wherever you go...

Last edited by Jeromeville; 05-14-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM

90 posts, read 289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Sorry SimplyTisha, I've been off the boards for a while and missed your question.

The A-Liner isn't any more or less cramped than a small-body popup in terms of floor space. Obviously, you don't have the extra horizontal space that comes from a screened popup. But you do get more vertical space, which really makes a positive psychological difference when you are trapped in the trailer due to weather. It's much more pleasant to be inside the trailer in bad weather (no miserable dampness like you get in a regular popup). If feeling claustrophobic in a trailer bothers you, this will be different.

The only warning I'd give is that you shouldn't use them in high wind conditions (say 50 mph) because if the wind catches it at the wrong angle, it can throw the spring mechanisms out of whack. But that's just common sense.

They are ridiculously easy to put up and take down. Once you have packed and secured the inside, 15-20 seconds is all you need to fold it down. (A lot of people don't realize you DO take them down, I've heard more than one person at a campsite wondering how you can go down the highway aerodynamically with an A-Liner!)

Two separate brands: A-Liner and Chalet. For all intents and purposes, they are very similar, just made by different companies.

The only "drawback" is that sometimes people come up to you with lots of questions, which is fine, but also sometimes expect a tour of the inside, which with my messy habits, isn't so fine :-) You will be sorta popular wherever you go...
Thanks for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing