Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Edit - hmmm, the OP got kicked to "banned" camp.
While it isn't generally City Data policy to comment on a member's status, Synopsis was a well-regarded member of CD for several years . He was also a well-liked and valuable member of City Data's Moderating team.

Synopsis, for reasons of his own, has requested that his membership be rescinded, and that request was grudgingly granted.

His wise contributions as both a member and a moderator will be missed and I personally wish him well in his future endeavors.

Now, back to the thread topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
campmor.com
cabelas.com
Sportsmans Warehouse

Avoid REI: it's too expensive and you can get similar quality stuff a lot cheaper at the other places.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Check out the Army surplus stores, some carry some good gear.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Check out the Army surplus stores, some carry some good gear.
That's a mixed bag. Some of that stuff is too bulky and clumsy to be of practical value, particularly when it comes to backpacking on foot. I've found the Army surplus stuff is more suitable for "car camping" or if you're going into the backcountry with pack animals. But the heaviness makes it more difficult for foot travel.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That's a mixed bag. Some of that stuff is too bulky and clumsy to be of practical value, particularly when it comes to backpacking on foot. I've found the Army surplus stuff is more suitable for "car camping" or if you're going into the backcountry with pack animals. But the heaviness makes it more difficult for foot travel.
I don't think he plans on walking, he plans on living in it

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Looks bleak with the employment situation and I may need to find a good tent and other supplies to be able and survive without a home.

Any suggestions at all on equipment that I will need and places to camp that are cheap would be welcome.
Are you serious? Well -- I just came from vacation and saw some guy living in a pop up parked next to a guy's pole barn and it was working out great -- he pays something every month for his pop up parking spot, has electricity and water.

Pop up campers are cheap and you can live in them for a while. Another guy just bought an old 78 truck camper that needed cleaning but is in great shape for $600 and he could live in it if he needs to.

Some campgrounds need campground hosts and some have motor homes that no longer run parked permanently on them that rent for very cheap. All you need really is shelter, a place to shower and food and clothes to use for job hunting.

There are many many alternatives to homeless shelters for those who don't want to use them.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
While it isn't generally City Data policy to comment on a member's status, Synopsis was a well-regarded member of CD for several years . He was also a well-liked and valuable member of City Data's Moderating team.

Synopsis, for reasons of his own, has requested that his membership be rescinded, and that request was grudgingly granted.

His wise contributions as both a member and a moderator will be missed and I personally wish him well in his future endeavors.

Now, back to the thread topic.
I'm very sorry to read that Synopsis is falling on rough times. He will be missed but I hope he returns.

To me there are better options than being homeless as in some shelter. There are people with acres also needing a little extra money who will allow someone to park an RV for a while and odd jobs can produce enough money for that until one gets on his feet.

I know a guy who isn't broke but is on unemployment and carefully using savings while he travels to another state looking for his future place. He hasn't lost his home but there are no jobs where his home is, so he plans to lock it up and board over the windows and head south. He lives in his car just to not spend too much money and has creative ways of doing that. His next trip south will be to job hunt and find a place to stay but he'll be living out of his car until he gets things lined up.

I know people who found ways to stay in rv parks and campgrounds for real cheap while they worked, sometimes as a way to travel and see the country, sometimes for an experience. Many people who are college age will do this just for the adventure but also because they're short on cash, it's too bad when someone who already reached stability now has to go back to do this because of hard times but you do what you have to do.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Anyhow my suggestions - a good pop up camper or truck bed camper or small trailer to pull. Not a tent because a good storm can make tent camping kind of tough. You can get campers with batteries that recharge while being towed from place to place, a cheap solar panel can even keep them charged enough. You can park for free at many Walmart stores if you're traveling to find a job and want to be near the city.

An older trailer can be cheap and you only have to have a reliable vehicle to pull it and you can leave it back where you park it while you hunt for jobs. An older RV might be liveable but more costly to maintain an old engine. You can get RV's that run for under $3000 but they may not run for long, an older trailer can be much cheaper and still towable for many miles.

Some motels will allow you to use showers for a minimal cost. State and national parks often have showers. Campground hosts get a lot to use and would have access to showers. A campground would be better if you have kids because there are playgrounds on most of them.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Looks bleak with the employment situation and I may need to find a good tent and other supplies to be able and survive without a home.

Any suggestions at all on equipment that I will need and places to camp that are cheap would be welcome.
If you were close enough or wanted to I have an overhead camper in fairly good shape and I'd be glad to give it to you.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:

OMG, are you serious, or just kidding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing