Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

Looks bleak with the employment situation and I may need to find a good tent and other supplies to be able and survive without a home.

Any suggestions at all on equipment that I will need and places to camp that are cheap would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I was going to say REI has the best camping supplies - but to use it as a home due to a financial situation? That's beyond the scope of this forum. Man, I think I'd pick a homeless shelter or something over that....relatives, a friends couch, etc.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
REI has great camping supplies, but more for family camping trips & backcountry excursions. What you'd be looking for is more of what I'd call a "cabin tent" with vertical walls that you could set up a small stove in for heat/cooking and vent it externally. I think there are still areas in the west with mining claims where squatters rights still exist, so that might be an option for setting up a "homestead". Cabellas might have some of these sorts of tents. Another couple of options to consider are teepees and yurts. You could honestly live quite comfortably in any of these in most climates year-round with a few simple creature comforts like the aforementioned stove.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
REI has great gear, but there are other good brands...Kelty, Hillberg, Moss, Bibler. I guess your decision in part depends on who is having a great sale (on their good product).

I'm not sure what you want to do for camping. That could be anything from a tent city to state park wilderness site (have to move every two weeks or so) to way out somewhere and nobody can find you.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Do you have a vehicle? Given the downturn, I've noticed a lot of recreational stuff being sold on craig's list, ebay, etc... and for much lower prices than usual. Perhaps you could find a small towable camper or RV? At least it would offer some mobility which then might make it easier to find work.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Do you have a vehicle? Given the downturn, I've noticed a lot of recreational stuff being sold on craig's list, ebay, etc... and for much lower prices than usual. Perhaps you could find a small towable camper or RV? At least it would offer some mobility which then might make it easier to find work.
That's a creative idea.
You could keep moving around so you don't get hassled by parking police too.
More secure for your belongings.
Good luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
You can camp on U.S. Forest Service land for free. I think you have to move to a new spot every two weeks. I don't know what you've got in your area in the way of USFS land, but I think different locations have different camping rules.

I've seen campers listed on Craigs for under $100. Those for $1000 might be better deals....

Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Looks bleak with the employment situation and I may need to find a good tent and other supplies to be able and survive without a home.

Any suggestions at all on equipment that I will need and places to camp that are cheap would be welcome.
WalMart, they have some of the best stuff you'll find and at a great price . When you go to these big sporting good shops, you'll find the same stuff at WalMart and for a much better price.

Where are you looking to camp at?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
REI has great camping supplies, but more for family camping trips & backcountry excursions. What you'd be looking for is more of what I'd call a "cabin tent" with vertical walls that you could set up a small stove in for heat/cooking and vent it externally. I think there are still areas in the west with mining claims where squatters rights still exist, so that might be an option for setting up a "homestead". Cabellas might have some of these sorts of tents. Another couple of options to consider are teepees and yurts. You could honestly live quite comfortably in any of these in most climates year-round with a few simple creature comforts like the aforementioned stove.
For setting up a tent as a replacement for a house, I would recommend one of the outfitter types of tents. Cabelas has several different ones including their Bighorn and Alaknak series. These tents are intended for use as hunting camps in the fall, and would even suffice for a winter camp if the climate is relatively tolerable. As mdp_az suggested above, these can even be outfitted with a stove for heat in the winter, and for cooking. All told, with the stove, floor, and other accessories, this entire outfit will set you back well over $1000 if you get the biggest tent with all the options. Check this link to view their selection of "outfitter tents" and accessories:
Cabela's -- Outfitter Tents, Stoves, & Accessories

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
WalMart, they have some of the best stuff you'll find and at a great price . When you go to these big sporting good shops, you'll find the same stuff at WalMart and for a much better price.

Where are you looking to camp at?

I have to disagree with that. Wallmart is great for casual sporting goods at a good price. But if you are looking for a good 4 season tent or shelter that you expect to last a long time and to withstand the elements - you have to go to a specialty store.

I very rarely see the same products sold at REI, which are very specialized, sold in Wallmart. And I don't think Walmart has cabin tents (REI might not have either for that matter).

He can certainly by his generic stuff - lanterns, flashlight, pots and pans, etc, at Walmart. But not his shelter or stuff he will depend his life on.

Edit - hmmm, the OP got kicked to "banned" camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing