Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 04:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks - we're looking at purchasing a used motor home from a private seller who lives in another state. To complicate matters further, we propose to meet the owner in still another state to do the purchase. (The MH is titled in Alaska and we're proposing to meet in Portland, OR. We live in Maryland and that's where the R will be titled.) I was wondering how you get a temporary tag (and from which state) to drive it cross country and how the state sales tax works. Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
I would imagine you'd need to get the temporary tag in the state in which you take possession of the RV.

Oregon DOT offers temporary trip permits valid for up to 10 days.

More info is here Oregon DMV Recreational Vehicle (RV) Trip Permits

There is a contact link on that page; it might be a good idea to clarify in advance ODOT what the exact process consists of.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
Many thanks , appreciate your help.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Hi Folks - we're looking at purchasing a used motor home from a private seller who lives in another state. To complicate matters further, we propose to meet the owner in still another state to do the purchase. (The MH is titled in Alaska and we're proposing to meet in Portland, OR. We live in Maryland and that's where the R will be titled.) I was wondering how you get a temporary tag (and from which state) to drive it cross country and how the state sales tax works. Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.
OMG pilgrim, please, please, please, inspect the title before you pay for it! There's a lot of scammers out there. Make sure the title is clear, no liens, etc..

Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 PM

66 posts, read 156,007 times
The post above about really checking the title and the owner is true. Scams are plenty now.

I bought mine in California. I kept the owners plates on it but did insure it in my name. When I got it to my new state they do require and most do require you to bring it to the DMV so they can look at it and say yup, it's an RV alright. Then you can register it. Where I am now the DMV here requires you to pay a $100 penalty as a new resident fee. Yea I know, it's extortion but we are just peasants and the kings rule with an iron fist.

I mailed the old plates back to the old owner because most states require you to drop off old plates at their DMV.

You will have to show a copy of the old state regisration to prove it was on the road in recent times. That's it!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,036 times
I pay 170. 00 a year for a pop up trailer like 12 feet long, $500.00 a year to store it, and 120.00 a month for a payment on a 2012. I live it in Utah and want to register it in Idaho, Colo or maybe Nevada any idea what I might do, I use it just 4 or 5 times a year

Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Register in a MT LLC. (no sales tax, no inspections, no emissions (for those with engines))

RV's qualify for lifetime plates.

There are many companies who will form your MT LLC that owns and registers your vehicles, but you can likely do it yourself for <$300 to start, and $70 / yr. Your MT LLC can own ALL your cars / vehicles if you meet the requirements of YOUR state (most will not be impressed...)

Do follow the rules, and TALK to your insurance company!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
50 states, 51 sets of rules. The best people to ask are the DMV in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing