Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I am thinking about buying a mid size suv, taking out the back seat and rigging it as a makeshift camper, putting an air mattress in the back and driving cross country as a vacation.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
That's do-able, but I think if you might buy another vehicle for this, a van would be even better. They don't get worse gas mileage and would have more room. Some come with televisions but you can always just have a small one.

My nieces got an old van, took out the middle seats and had plastic stacked storage boxes for a dresser, there was a rack to hang clothes, one used the back seat which folded down into a bed, the other used the front seat. They had a little table. My dad has a big RV but sometimes prefers to travel long distance with just his van and has a porta-potty set up for his wife - just in case.

A tent with sleeping bag would be nice for when you want to go to a campground and change of scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's do-able, but I think if you might buy another vehicle for this, a van would be even better. They don't get worse gas mileage and would have more room. Some come with televisions but you can always just have a small one.

My nieces got an old van, took out the middle seats and had plastic stacked storage boxes for a dresser, there was a rack to hang clothes, one used the back seat which folded down into a bed, the other used the front seat. They had a little table. My dad has a big RV but sometimes prefers to travel long distance with just his van and has a porta-potty set up for his wife - just in case.

A tent with sleeping bag would be nice for when you want to go to a campground and change of scene.
This scenario is pretty much the way I think I want go. I am not looking to use something big like a RV,since iI will probably be traveling by myself ( unless I luck up and find myself a travel partner by then) but something that I will drive daily to and from work.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
I just want to see stuff I've never seen before.
I grew up in the inner city and always fantasized about traveling the country in a car or van, just seeing different citites, meeting different people, and taking pictures of the scenery. Also I always wanted to see LA and instead of flying I want to see the sights of the countryside as I go.
Sounds like you have a romanticized vision to "see the country" via a long road trip ... so be it, you can do it anytime. If you avoid the interstates, you'll get a chance to see a lot more of the "country", with smaller towns as opposed to highway off-ramp stops, at a slightly slower pace at the expense of a lot more time on the road.

Probably better to not do this during the winter months when roads can be shut down or miserable to travel due to storms/snow. Although I can think of a lot of reasons to be in the Colorado/Utah/Wyoming mountain areas during the winter ... as well as in Nevada and California during that time.

Have fun ... and enjoy the drive.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Sounds like you have a romanticized vision to "see the country" via a long road trip ... so be it, you can do it anytime. If you avoid the interstates, you'll get a chance to see a lot more of the "country", with smaller towns as opposed to highway off-ramp stops, at a slightly slower pace at the expense of a lot more time on the road.

Probably better to not do this during the winter months when roads can be shut down or miserable to travel due to storms/snow. Although I can think of a lot of reasons to be in the Colorado/Utah/Wyoming mountain areas during the winter ... as well as in Nevada and California during that time.

Have fun ... and enjoy the drive.
I am definately entertianig suggestions so please.....suggest away!
I have never been to a Ren fare and always wanted to go to one so maybe that's a start.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I did a cross country drive with a friend for the entire month of June and it worked out very well. It was warm enough to camp out, but not too cold until we got to Pike's Peak and San Francisco. We made a list of things we wanted to see and mapped the route accordingly. Some of the great things you might consider seeing are Washington D.C., Baltimore's aquarium, the Liberty Bell, the Statue of Liberty, the St. Louis Arch, Wilderness National Park, the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Mt. Rushmore, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the giant redwood trees, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the hoodoos, Dinosaur National Park, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Old Faithful, Warren Dunes, Shedd Aquarium, Alcatraz, the Tetons, the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

If you decide to make it a "Visit as many of the National Parks as Possible" trip buy a National Parks Pass that will give you admittance to every national park in the country. It's good for one year and a lot less expensive than paying for admittance at each park. We took this trip three years ago, in July, and it was an incredible 21 days we'll never forget. If you want to camp inside a park make your reservations early. Best wishes.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I did a cross country drive with a friend for the entire month of June and it worked out very well. It was warm enough to camp out, but not too cold until we got to Pike's Peak and San Francisco. We made a list of things we wanted to see and mapped the route accordingly. Some of the great things you might consider seeing are Washington D.C., Baltimore's aquarium, the Liberty Bell, the Statue of Liberty, the St. Louis Arch, Wilderness National Park, the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Mt. Rushmore, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the giant redwood trees, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the hoodoos, Dinosaur National Park, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Old Faithful, Warren Dunes, Shedd Aquarium, Alcatraz, the Tetons, the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

If you decide to make it a "Visit as many of the National Parks as Possible" trip buy a National Parks Pass that will give you admittance to every national park in the country. It's good for one year and a lot less expensive than paying for admittance at each park. We took this trip three years ago, in July, and it was an incredible 21 days we'll never forget. If you want to camp inside a park make your reservations early. Best wishes.
Thanks a lot........sorry I can't rep right now

Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
This scenario is pretty much the way I think I want go. I am not looking to use something big like a RV,since iI will probably be traveling by myself ( unless I luck up and find myself a travel partner by then) but something that I will drive daily to and from work.
It sounds like great fun and you'll likely meet interesting people. The national parks pass would be real good to have and they have campgrounds also and would be a good theme to your trip. Pulling anything takes the simplicity out of it, when you go by van you have everything with you wherever you go, there's no hassle but there's no reason not to throw in a tent or some camp chairs, Coleman stove and all that stuff to give yourself flexibility.

Another theme for a trip especially if it's out West is to get a book on ghost towns and try to see a number of them. Or museums, some of the smallest towns have very interesting history and even tiny museums can be really cool to visit. In fact the small towns have the interesting people who will get to talking with you, telling you everything about the area.

Or the state parks and campgrounds. Bring along a light-weight kayak with oars and you'll have more fun at lakes. If you need a companion - nothing beats a good dog.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
I am definately entertianig suggestions so please.....suggest away!
I have never been to a Ren fare and always wanted to go to one so maybe that's a start.
Here's state by state listing of Ren Faires ...

Renaissance Faires By State

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I've driven cross country at least two dozen times. As others have pointed out, it depends on what you want to do and see.

Since you're in SC, you can stay south. I recommend stopping a few places on your way to LA. My itinerary would include:

- visit the hot springs just outside Sata Fe, NM. Ask any local when you get to town to point you in the right direction. They are absolutely fabulous with hot and bath temp water falls.

- The grand canyon is a must see. You can also travel into surrounding canyons via old logging roads and camp with the coyotes. Of coure, be careful at night and be aware of snakes.

- Drive around the rockies. There are also some awesome, huge teepee communities that reside in some areas. It's just beautiful. Find yourself some sage fields and pick fresh sage!

- Manage to spend a few days at the four corners- utah arizona new mexico colorado. I've never seen more beautiful sunsets and sunrises than there.

-If you drive through death valley, there are some small resorts where you can take a dip in a pool and hang out for the day for just a couple of bucks.

- LA is ok, tho I could never understand the hype. If you travel up the coast a bit you won't be sorry. The cali coast north of LA is beautiful.

As far as Ren fairs go, I was on circuit for a little while. Imo, and if you have the time, the best way to experience ren fairs is to get a job for their spell in town. Of course, that's a one to two month commitment, but being a rennie is a life-style and a complete joy to experience.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-09-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Now this is what I'm talking about! all these are great ideas and now my imagination is going full speed ahead! Thanks again! I'm all out of rep right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing