Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 PM

99 posts, read 214,589 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to read six pages here, just the first, so sorry if someone mentioned this, but...

Here, in Duluth, MN, many people desire the weekend cabin experiences. I have a few friends who have bought a camper or trailer, and for about a thousand bucks they can park it in a neat campground as close or as far from here as they'd like...thirty minutes or a few hours... and have that cabin feeling on the weekends as often as they want, without actually investing in a second property. Its of course still available then for a long trip, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 PM

37 posts, read 47,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I also use 'private guest homes', many in New England are on farms or in the forest, some have 'rustic' guest qtrs as in a small cabin in forest. (The homes I use are $10 / night (cheaper than traditional camping), through a private directory that includes a very complete profile of hosts (and the ages of their kids)). It is a very safe way to travel, I sent a single mom and her 2 teenage daughters around the USA with my directory.

(Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria... are superb & $10 - $20 guest homes & 'trail cabins' in all the above). For US trips, I use SWA and fly for $80 to a CHEAP airport near National Parks, and get a 'priceline car for $12-16/day. (Las Vegas for Utah, AZ, SO CA parks).
Where exactly would someone find these directories?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
but I have 3 other configurations of Diesel 'mini-RVs' that get 46 - 52 mpg (WVO grease-burners too). Finding the right ethnic restaurants (they have the freshest fryer grease)= ZERO fuel costs.
What on earth are you talking about?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
No waking up with the vista of a parking lot and strip mall "nirvana".
I don't get that. Explain plz?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I would like the ability to load a travel trailer once per trip and not have to shuffle bins.
Explain please? Sorry if I can't read between the lines.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I'm thinking of buying a travel-trailor just so that I'd always have fall-back housing. With the jobs and the economy and all the rest, you never know what might happen.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We decided that no unit was worth payments. Why buy new, when 3 months later it has lost 25% value and 12 months later almost 50%?
Half price after one year? You're exaggerating, right?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I will PM you for specifics
Oh come on, that's not fair. We all wanna know your secrets. I've spent hours reading through all 7 pages of this thread. I'm entitled!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Thank you. This is just like having a boat, right (a hole in the water that you throw money into)?
Are Rv's the same way as what they say about boats....the 2nd happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat, and the happiest day is when you sell it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I spent today figuring out which adapters, hoses, regulator, etc. I want and made a list of the stuff we'll need right away. The list is about $2000 long already! Tires are #1... the previous owner was pulling it around on Chinese tire bombs and they don't look too healthy.
Why did you need to buy so much extra stuff? What are Chinese tire bombs?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinswinmh View Post
I'm not going to read six pages here, just the first, so sorry if someone mentioned this, but...

Here, in Duluth, MN, many people desire the weekend cabin experiences. I have a few friends who have bought a camper or trailer, and for about a thousand bucks they can park it in a neat campground as close or as far from here as they'd like...thirty minutes or a few hours... and have that cabin feeling on the weekends as often as they want, without actually investing in a second property. Its of course still available then for a long trip, as well.
$1000 for what exactly?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax6272 View Post
Half price after one year? You're exaggerating, right?
I think it's probably exaggerating a bit -- but you don't buy tents, campers, or RVs as an investment, you buy them because you want to enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing