Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Whatever you end up doing on your trip, make note of the interesting places you didn't have time to get to, and make plans for another trip as soon as you can do it. I've visited lots of places in the western U.S. on trips like this, and each one leaves me wishing I had more time to see more places near where I was headed.

Over the past ten years or so, I've taken at least six or seven such trips, and all of them have left me wishing I had more time to explore the areas I headed to. The "Grand Circle" is an area I've visited numerous times, but I feel as though I've only seen a small portion of it. I could spend ten days there every year for the rest of my life and still have plenty left unseen.
I know what you mean. There are several places we couldn't get to, on each of our destinations. I would love to go back to each of these places but there is only so much vacation time and a whole lot of country to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 AM

The Grand Canyon is high on our list but I'm thinking its going to be too hot. The end of June through the fourth of July. We would like to be in awesome place for the fireworks display. Last year we were in the Mt. Rushmore area during that time, good thing we moved on to Kansas City for the fireworks. Mt. Rushmore had a horrible display this year, the weather was so bad you couldn't even see the fire works. (We seen that report on the news)

How about the east coast? What is there to see? New Jersey, Boston, Nantucket?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
The Grand Canyon is high on our list but I'm thinking its going to be too hot. The end of June through the fourth of July. We would like to be in awesome place for the fireworks display. Last year we were in the Mt. Rushmore area during that time, good thing we moved on to Kansas City for the fireworks. Mt. Rushmore had a horrible display this year, the weather was so bad you couldn't even see the fire works. (We seen that report on the news)

How about the east coast? What is there to see? New Jersey, Boston, Nantucket?
I can't make any recommendations for the east coast because I haven't made it that far (yet).

I just wanted to comment on visiting the Grand Canyon in June and July. The temperature really depends on where you're going to be. Both of the rims are fairly high in elevation, so they tend to be fairly temperate, even in summer. The south rim is about 7000 ft, and the north rim is about 8000 ft, according to the information I just found online. If you go down into the canyon, it will most likely be a lot warmer the lower you go. I've been on both the north and the south rims in the summer, and they never felt hot to me while I was there.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,656 times
If you start off around the Washington DC area you can hug the coastline and stop at some remarkable places such as Annapolis in Maryland. This article (http://www.campingroadtrip.com/RVing-Sout-to-Florida - broken link) might give you some ideas

Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I have done DC and the Maryland / Jersey coast for the 4th. It was quite good, watched from Lincoln Memorial, but next time I will join the masses who jump into reflecting pools with their inflatable lounge chairs. This is not allowed, but as soon as the show started the pools were full of these various 'floating chairs'.

Boston display looks to be awesome, but would really require good planning to be better than TV coverage. I might choose to stay home and upgrade my 1970's tv to HD.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Jones View Post
If you start off around the Washington DC area you can hug the coastline and stop at some remarkable places such as Annapolis in Maryland. This article (http://www.campingroadtrip.com/RVing-Sout-to-Florida - broken link) might give you some ideas
The link was broken

Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 10,602 times
I live in GA and went to the shores of Michigan this past summer on a road trip. Stopped through the Great Smokey Mountains and did some great camping and hiking there. Went to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore Dunes and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan. Pictured Rocks was awesome! Spent two days there and then saw Blue Man Group in Chicago! That trip took about 12 days. I have heard the White Mountains in New Hampshire are beautiful...although I've never been there. I plan to spend some time around the Oregon Coast on my next Road Trip! Enjoy whatever you decide! It's all about who you're with and your outlook on life!

Revelation 4:11
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default New England

The beauty of New England, especially in the fall, can be breathtaking. We took a trip through the Adirondacks in NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It was outstanding. Bar Harbour, Maine was a fun place to visit and very pet friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing