Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some good ideas for road trips this summer. Last year we went South Dakota , Mt.Rushmore, Badlands and all the good stuff.
Then we went to Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, Ohio and back to MN. We also did several weekend trips around the state.
I was thinking Grand Canyon or the Georgia area. Maybe New Jersey and New York to Boston.
There are so many area to go. We have 10 days, starting in the twin cities area. I love to see new places with beautful scenery and attractions.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I'm looking for some good ideas for road trips this summer. Last year we went South Dakota , Mt.Rushmore, Badlands and all the good stuff.
Then we went to Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, Ohio and back to MN. We also did several weekend trips around the state.
I was thinking Grand Canyon or the Georgia area. Maybe New Jersey and New York to Boston.
There are so many area to go. We have 10 days, starting in the twin cities area. I love to see new places with beautful scenery and attractions.
Any suggestions?
Well, other than the Football Hall of Fame in Akron (useless!) and the Rock-n-Roll hall of Fame in Cleveland, (So! So!), Ohio hasn't got much else to look at unless you want to stare at the Amish. Sorry.
But I almost forgot, Cleveland does sit on a lake thats Erie, and it has a tower that Terminal and they use to have a river that burns (Cuyahoga River), need I say more .

Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
The northern shores of Lake Superior are nice, but you wouldn't need 10 days for that.

Maybe scoot on past the Black Hills and head for Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. Yellowstone is amazing.

Wisconsin has some pretty neat areas too (the Dells, etc.), but it's doesn't compare to Yellowstone.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Maybe scoot on past the Black Hills and head for Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. Yellowstone is amazing.
I'll second these parks, and add Glacier National Park in Montana. There is a lot of beautiful country to see in that area, and you could easily spend ten days seeing it. Devil's tower is on the way to YNP or GTNP. So are the hot springs in Thermopolis, depending on your route. Lewis & Clark Caverns in MT. is worth seeing, IMHO, and is between YNP and GNP. There are many other state parks in both WY and MT that are also worth seeing. Come to think of it, ten days probably isn't enough.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions?
If you head towards the Grand Canyon, you might also want to see Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches National Parks, as well as the other attractions in the area. This area is known as the "Grand Circle" and is a popular road trip destination.

Here's a link to get you started:
The Grand Circle Road Trip - Road Trip Planning for Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and more! - US-Parks.com

There is a lot more to see than what this link mentions. I would add the Four Corners monument and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and possibly the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument and Kodachrome Basin in UT, and Mesa Verde National Park in CO. I would save the South Rim and Las Vegas for another trip.

Like my comments about YNP/GTNP/GNP, ten days isn't enough, if you ask me.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 12-08-2009 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
I'm looking for some good ideas for road trips this summer. ... I love to see new places with beautful scenery and attractions.
Any suggestions?
for summer stay north, do Zion / Bryce / GC in fall or spring

look for some special side trips like this (huge metal pheasants + farm family - ND)
EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota

America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
The Most Scenic Drives in America | Family Travel | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/the-most-scenic-drives-in-america-all/article42071.html - broken link)
http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/tr...ev_060029.html

also check for fun eats

Roadfood Digest | All posts tagged 'roadfood forums'
Where We Eat: The Splendid Table

Old 12-09-2009, 06:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'll second these parks, and add Glacier National Park in Montana. There is a lot of beautiful country to see in that area, and you could easily spend ten days seeing it. Devil's tower is on the way to YNP or GTNP. So are the hot springs in Thermopolis, depending on your route. Lewis & Clark Caverns in MT. is worth seeing, IMHO, and is between YNP and GNP. There are many other state parks in both WY and MT that are also worth seeing. Come to think of it, ten days probably isn't enough.
My votes for Glacier National Peace Park as well, Truly touched by the hand of the Creator.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
With only 10 days I would do Glacier National Park in Montana....Its an awsome place.....To see either the Yellowstone area or the Grand Canyon area you really need more time then what you have....

If you want to go east then I would look at spending some time in the Virginia and NC area along the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
When I suggested Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, I stopped there because I figured any more than that would require more than 10 days. The Grand Canyon is too far, and so are the parks in southern Utah, IMHO. If the OP is coming from northern Minnesota, Glacier would be a good alternative. If it's from southern Minnesota, Yellowstone would be a fair bit closer. If from Minneapolis, I'd guess either area would be about the same distance. I'd pick Yellowstone because of all the things to see there (more animals, hot springs, geysers, mud pots), but Glacier is pretty awesome too. I'd also guess the southern route to Yellowstone would be more interesting -- Devils Tower, the Bighorns, etc., but to be honest, I've never driven across northern North Dakota nor northern Montana.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Whatever you end up doing on your trip, make note of the interesting places you didn't have time to get to, and make plans for another trip as soon as you can do it. I've visited lots of places in the western U.S. on trips like this, and each one leaves me wishing I had more time to see more places near where I was headed.

Over the past ten years or so, I've taken at least six or seven such trips, and all of them have left me wishing I had more time to explore the areas I headed to. The "Grand Circle" is an area I've visited numerous times, but I feel as though I've only seen a small portion of it. I could spend ten days there every year for the rest of my life and still have plenty left unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing