Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
what's GTA??
GTA = Greater Toronto Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 30,144 times
Yes, BMB_nerd if you are not educated you still can get a job here. Mind you, the pay will not be that great.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiancash View Post
Yes, BMB_nerd if you are not educated you still can get a job here. Mind you, the pay will not be that great.
This is very true. Also note that if you are outside Canada you may have difficulty getting into the country if you are not educated.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM

65 posts, read 38,333 times
yes,that pisses me off,i saw that ship thing going up over there,with terrorists getting to stay and illegals also stay there,and a guy trying the legal way is denieded,people must get really ffrustraded...that's why some people go illegally over there,sometimes there are no choice

Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,771 times
Canada is about 3% black now, as a hole, but the city's have more except the Vancouver area, Toronto and Montreal are around 10% black, and there's small towns in Nova Scotia that are 60+% black, so there around, but NO it aint like the southern states.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that hobbesdj and Cart24 are simply responding to the Canadian mythology that it is ALWAYS better for a black person in Canada than in the U.S. Canadians are basically brought up to be proud of (and even feel superior about) how Canada treated black people better than the U.S. historically.

It is almost a national Canadian character trait to negatively and self-righteously point the finger at the U.S. for slavery, ghetto riots, the Ku Klux Klan, segregation, Rodney King, etc.

I also know quite a few black residents of Canada who have been told to their faces by white Canadians that they are sooo lucky to be living in Canada and not the States.

Interestingly enough, like Cart24 a lot of them eventually moved to the States and are quite happy with their lives there.

On the other hand, several friends and neighbours of mine are black residents of Canada and are quite happy with their lives here as well.

The moral of the story is be careful with absolutes like "Canada is 100%, absolutely, positively, assuredly, unquestionably a better place for black people than the United States is!"
I can see how some blacks, who have lived in both, feel better about living in the states....maybe since there are a lot more blacks in noticeable positions of power, well, simply, since there are a lot more blacks.....
Canada is not really that bad, when you consider the same measurement, there are fewer blacks in power positions, Michaelle Jean was one of the 1st, I mean, what would you expect from a country that is only 2% black and maybe less than 1% black 40 years ago?
However, the point about Canadians feeling "superior" when it comes to their treatment of blacks vs. the treatment of blacks in the USA? Well, I can see why a lot of Canadians think that if you go by....
the way Jackie Robinson was treated in Montreal in 1946, vs. the way he was treated in the USA at that time....
also, there have been no lynchings of blacks in Canada in the 20th century, in the US, there have been lynchings as recently as 50 years ago....

Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 336,370 times
I lived in the Bay Area for a few years. Certain areas were far more culturally diverse than others. Take Sonoma of example where I spent two years living there. Upscale quaint and seemingly rich population that was 90% white, 10% other. Very few Black people in a town of 10,000. As a matter of fact, I think the only black people were the 2 guys that worked in Quiznos in town (seriously). Travel northwest along the main Sonoma highway and you'll run into a purely Hispanic neighbourhood with Boyes Hot Springs looking like you just walked into Mexico. Drive south along the 37 for about 30 minutes and you get in a very black dominated community in Vallejo. Continue along and it's Richmond and Oakland. Both those cities tend to be predominately Black while the Whites tend to inhabit the Northeast of Oakland. Over in San Francisco, it's mainly a mix between Whites and Asians. You will find blacks but they are limited to certain areas of distinction. Go down to LA and see what segregation in that region looks like.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times
It is absolutely not like the US. Blacks in Canada (at least multi-generational blacks) are much more integrated than in the US - I've lived in both and I've seen it with my own eyes. Many American cities still live by a defacto segregation. For instance, here in Columbus, a city that is 24% black in total, my niehgbourhood is less than 1% black, and it's fairly large and urban. The neighbourhood that I used to live in, much poorer and closer to downtown, was 80% black. You only have to look at the rust-belt cities, where white-flight runs rampant, to see the situation of northern blacks in the US. In the south, it's different, because they're a much larger percentage of the population overall. I've never witnessed anything like it in Canada. I am quite aware that there are distinct black areas in Canada, but those tend to be recent immigrants rather than those who were the loyalists and arrived in the 1700s.

Blacks never "chose" the US over Canada - Africans were dragged to the US as slaves and that's why they ended up there. Some came north during the late 1700s, and that's why southern Ontario and Nova Scotia have well established black communities.

There IS racism in Canada - the recent cross burning in Nova Scotia is a frightening example. But it's nowhere as pervasive and ingrained as in the US - there's really no comparison at all. In most of Canada, blacks are like any other minority, along with Asians or whomever else - being recent immigrants. It's only in some parts of southern Ontario and Nova Scotia where there is a black history. But even there (and I'm from Nova Scotia), I never saw blacks emulating US culture anymore than whites of their same age range did.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It is absolutely not like the US. Blacks in Canada (at least multi-generational blacks) are much more integrated than in the US - I've lived in both and I've seen it with my own eyes. Many American cities still live by a defacto segregation. For instance, here in Columbus, a city that is 24% black in total, my niehgbourhood is less than 1% black, and it's fairly large and urban. The neighbourhood that I used to live in, much poorer and closer to downtown, was 80% black. You only have to look at the rust-belt cities, where white-flight runs rampant, to see the situation of northern blacks in the US. In the south, it's different, because they're a much larger percentage of the population overall. I've never witnessed anything like it in Canada. I am quite aware that there are distinct black areas in Canada, but those tend to be recent immigrants rather than those who were the loyalists and arrived in the 1700s.

Blacks never "chose" the US over Canada - Africans were dragged to the US as slaves and that's why they ended up there. Some came north during the late 1700s, and that's why southern Ontario and Nova Scotia have well established black communities.

There IS racism in Canada - the recent cross burning in Nova Scotia is a frightening example. But it's nowhere as pervasive and ingrained as in the US - there's really no comparison at all. In most of Canada, blacks are like any other minority, along with Asians or whomever else - being recent immigrants. It's only in some parts of southern Ontario and Nova Scotia where there is a black history. But even there (and I'm from Nova Scotia), I never saw blacks emulating US culture anymore than whites of their same age range did.
Amen. Lived in both places, but Canada is a whole lot more relaxing (for ME) when it comes to my day to day goings. Both have their benefits, but I have never felt so stigmatized as I did around some of the nicer areas in alot of northern cities (don't get me started with the liberal heartland of Boston....) Plus, Canadian girls as a whole are better looking

Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Amen. Lived in both places, but Canada is a whole lot more relaxing (for ME) when it comes to my day to day goings. Both have their benefits, but I have never felt so stigmatized as I did around some of the nicer areas in alot of northern cities (don't get me started with the liberal heartland of Boston....) Plus, Canadian girls as a whole are better looking
Yes but Blacks (Both foreign and native born) both earn more in the US than Canada. Intergration at it best....of course not manifested in earnings of course You are entitled to your opinion but my personal opinion is that myself and my wife (both black) have advanced alot further in the US than Canada and the statistics prove that. No one can explain to me why blacks in the US out-earn their peers in Canada. Until then I will take my chances in "racist hotbed" of America.

As far as girls in Canada being better looking, well I did meet my wife in Grad School at UofT, so I cant argue that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada