Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
2 posts, read 35,656 times
Reputation: 44


If you're filing taxes, do you HAVE to get a form from your employer to fill out?

What happens if say, I quit in September, and move someplace else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
4,282 posts, read 15,756,673 times
Reputation: 4000

Assuming you're talking about filing Canadian income taxes, the way it's supposed to work is like this.

When you start a job, your employer is suuposed to obtain your Social Insurance Number. The employer is alos supposed to obtain information about your marital status and number of dependents. The employer uses this last information to determine how much income tax to deduct at source from your pay cheques.

At the end of the calendar year, employers generate T-4 slips for all persons who they have employed in the last calendar year. These slips show gross earnings, Employment Insurance source deductions, Canada Pension deductions, and Income tax deductions. Each employee is then sent a slip prior to February 28 of the following year, and the information from each slip is sent to the Canada Revenue Agency.

When you actually fill out your tax form, you transfer the amounts from the various boxes on the T-4 slip(s) to the appropriate lines on the tax form.

If for some reason you didn't receive a T-4 from an employer, contact that employer and request one. If the employer refuses to give you a T-4, contact the Canada Revenue Agency for advice. You can find contact numbers for the CRA in the Blue Pages of your telephone book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 AM
12 posts, read 40,990 times
Reputation: 15
Default taxes, taxes, taxes

As a Canadian now living and working in the States, I find that the 2 tax systems are pretty well the same. The employer gives you tax paperwork to fill out when you are hired and deducts your federal and other taxes. then you are responsible to do your taxes when the time comes. In the States its by the end of April, in Canada ,I beleive the other poster said it is by the end of February? If you were to move to another part of Canada you would just have to add that province to your tax return. and submit all your t-4's.
One thing I will say is different is that here in the States I always get a refund and in Canada I always seemed to owe taxes. Hmmmmmmmm wonder what is up with that? LOL
Hope this helps a bit,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top