Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM

341 posts, read 1,669,841 times

Advertisements

Good Ole PArty -
THe Good ole boys of the republicans

I am american and lived, (married a great canadian man from Toronto) in Calgary, VAncouver, and Toronto
and I would move back in a flash to Canada - for the people - Canadians are listeners, speak their opinions whether political, personal in dignified, calm manner - they respect others opinions, don't cram their thoughts and opinions down throats
CApitalism is just another word for making money - but don't we all make money in the free world - the problem is the americans take the world literally as do the orientals - and "disregard the rest"
Beautiful country, beautiful people, less population and freedom to be me - rather than"keeping up with the jones'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
Hillary Clinton. Oh, Canada, here I come. I just don't think I can be an American with Hillary at the helm.
Funny, that's exactly what I said when Bush was elected - both times. I was literally on my computer looking at transfers (school) to Canada, but realized it was too complicated for right now.

And to answer the original question, I think most of the posters here covered any reasons... for me, I PREFER colder weather (it's actually quite chilly in San Francisco most of the year, which is one reason I love it here!), and the liberal politics/values of Canada. I especially like Vancouver, which is like a San Francisco in Canada - I've been there a few times, and felt right at home! I swear, if things here don't improve after the moron (Bush) is gone, I'll reconsider immigrating up there in a few years.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,715,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And to answer the original question, I think most of the posters here covered any reasons... for me, I PREFER colder weather (it's actually quite chilly in San Francisco most of the year, which is one reason I love it here!), and the liberal politics/values of Canada.
LOL!

My parents went to San Francisco in May once to visit friends. It was in the 70's F most of the time in Toronto so my mom never thought she'd need to pack a coat. It was so cold in San Fran, like 50's and sometimes into the high 40's. Weird to see palms and still be freezing you butt off. She wasn't impressed.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
Good Ole PArty -
THe Good ole boys of the republicans

I am american and lived, (married a great canadian man from Toronto) in Calgary, VAncouver, and Toronto
and I would move back in a flash to Canada - for the people - Canadians are listeners, speak their opinions whether political, personal in dignified, calm manner - they respect others opinions, don't cram their thoughts and opinions down throats"
Is that an official term, "GOP?"

This Canadian seems to be much better at talking than listening.
(not intentionally, just what others say when kidding me)

I find it more challenging relating to a lot of people here as many are very quiet and calm. Me I'm somewhat bold and hyper. I just want to have fun and enjoy myself whereas more people seem to be quiet out of fear what others might think.

I have rarely ever had someone berate me about their ideas in the U.S. but I have noticed people will tell you their opinions more often than here, or even make small talk. I enjoy this as it makes people seem more lively and life a little less boring. I crave conversation most of the time and I feel I don't hear enough when I'm here.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM

872 posts, read 3,577,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What does GOP stand for?

Grand Old Party.

Not what the other person said...

Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Grand Old Party.

Not what the other person said...
Interesting. Again, is that an official or unofficial term?

Are the Republicans or Democrats the GOP?
If it is the Republicans that is surprising since I thought the Democratic party pre-dates the Republican party.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,363,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting. Again, is that an official or unofficial term?

Are the Republicans or Democrats the GOP?
If it is the Republicans that is surprising since I thought the Democratic party pre-dates the Republican party.
Grand Old Party (GOP) is the official name for the Republican party. The Democratic party indeed pre-dates the Republican party be around 20 years but the GOP moniker is technically not a misnomer. It would be were it called "Grand OLDEST Party" I suppose. For some information on the history of both the Democratic and Republican parties:

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Democratic Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2007, 04:34 PM

341 posts, read 1,669,841 times
It is Grand Old PArty - we call it here - the Good Old Party
Grand is kind of extravagent to call the Republican boys....

Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 PM

872 posts, read 3,577,071 times
The Republican Party formed out of the Whig party sometime during the 1850's. The Democrats formed out of the Democratic-Republicans with the election of Andrew Jackson in 1828. The ideologies of the two parties are basically opposite of what they were when they first originated. Teddy Roosevelt is arguably the last progressive Republican President.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Interesting.

In Canada the official names of parties are the only names used on ballots. We do have some nicknames for some of them. We have the Progressive Conservatives (aka P.C.) with the nickname of Tories (I think), the Liberal Party nicknamed "Grits" (has nothing to do with the breakfast cereal unfortunately, ) the New Democratic Party or NDP, Bloc Quebecois which is the party that wants Quebec to separate from Canada and a few other minor parties like the Communist Party, Green Party etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada