U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 AM

2 posts, read 13,631 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Been reading some of the posts and they've been very helpful, so thought you guys could help me with this. Am contemplating a move to either Toronto or Halifax for work. Just wanted to ask the differences between the two in terms of living, housing, climate, people, things to do, nightlife (I'm 23...and an Aussie) etc. I would like to live near a college or uni, and would not be able to get a car just yet. Hence, public transport is essential. As for the job, its in the hotel line and pays about 33000 annually. How much can I expect to take home from that and will it be comfortable to live on? Sorry if its a lot of questions. Have never been to Canada and am a tad overwhelmed. Thanks for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,333,423 times
Tough call, AdelBrisbane.

Either city's winter climate will be a distinct change from Brisbane's. Halifax is slightly milder due to the influence of the Atlantic Ocean, but it receives more snow.

It's difficult to compare the 2 cities simply because of the vast size difference between the two and the attendent difference in available facilities.

Toronto, at just under 3 million, is a much larger city than Halifax with its 375000. Toronto has a wide variety of large immigrant populations, while Halifax is less of a newcomer's magnet.

Toronto has a vast public transportation system encompassing subway trains and surface buses. Public transpost in Halifax is limited to bus service.

Toronto is home to 3 large universities, (University of Toronto, York University, Ryerson), at least 3 large community colleges, and numerous private training facilities. Halifax has the esteemed Dalhousie University and at least one community college.

When it comes to money matters, Toronto can be an expensive place to live, but it's not on a par with New York, London or Tokyo.

Your status as an Australian citizen may muddy the waters somewhat when it comes to income tax matters. You might be best to consult with the Australian tax people about your obligations to them in so far as foreign earnings are concerned. A single Canadian grossing $33000 would likely net, after tax, around $26,000.

Can a single person without a car live on $33,000 in Toronto? Yes. Will that person be living in the lap of luxury? No, but it's certainly possible to find living accomodation, food, and clothing on that budget. Just don't plan on adding to your retirement fund.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,458,963 times
Toronto is a large city ...similiar in size to Sydney Australia ....is big ..cosmopolitan ....rush, rush ..lots of traffic ....it has all the big city things you can imagine ....nite life ....etc .... Halifax is no where near as large ...it is a major sea port ...... it has it's share of nite life too ...being a port the sailors on shore leave have to get in some r and r .....your money will go alot further in Halifax ...rents are cheaper ....easy to get around ....climates of both cities are definitely cool (or shud I say cold) from what you're used to in Australia....winter temps on paper look similiar ..however Toronto is located in the lee of Lake Ontario and does not usually get alot of snow .....whereas Halifax gets alot more snow ....spring is delayed in both cases ....Toronto due to cold Lake Ontario ....and Halifax due to cold Atlantic ocean .......I would give the edge to Halifax in the summer as Toronto sometimes get very hot humid air and smog ....here are the averages to compare the two cities ....

HALIFAX

JAN 0 / -8
FEB 0 / -8
MAR 4 / -4
APR 8 / 1
MAY 14 / 6
JUN 19 / 11
JUL 23 / 14
AUG 23 / 15
SEP 19 / 11
OCT 13 / 6
NOV 8 / 1
DEC 3 / -5

TORONTO (airport)

JAN -2 / -10
FEB -1 / -9
MAR 4 / -5
APR 12 / 1
MAY 20 / 7
JUN 25 / 12
JUL 27 / 15
AUG 26 / 14
SEP 22 / 10
OCT 15 / 4
NOV 7 / -1
DEC 1 / -7

HALIFAX (in degrees fahrenheit)

JAN 32 18
FEB 32 18
MAR 40 24
APR 47 34
MAY 58 43
JUN 67 52
JUL 74 58
AUG 74 59
SEP 67 52
OCT 56 43
NOV 47 34
DEC 38 22

TORONTO (airport in degrees fahrenheit)

JAN 29 15
FEB 31 17
MAR 40 23
APR 55 34
MAY 68 45
JUN 77 55
JUL 81 59
AUG 79 58
SEP 72 50
OCT 59 40
NOV 45 30
DEC 34 20

Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 13,631 times
Thanks for the information guys. They really helped helped clear up a lot of things I was unsure about. There's only so much I can learn from reading travel or gov websites! I'm still undecided but I have some time left before I have to come to a decision. Much appreciate the replies.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 AM

24 posts, read 68,988 times
Toronto is ridiculously expensive, boring AND overcrowded, which is an accomplishment of sorts. The people are boring and the newcomers are hostile.

Halifax, on the other hand, has fun people with the maritime flavour.

Both have brutal winters. I don't think Halifax is all that cheap either judging from a quick perusal of the ads.

Vancouver is another city you should look at closely if you want a bigger city. More affordable than Toronto. People are very nice. Excellent natural resources. Close to Seattle.

If you can speak French or you work independently, Montreal is probably the most interesting and fun city in Canada. But the people there can be extremely rude, especially leading up to and during the winter.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM

24 posts, read 68,988 times
i should qualify that halifax thing. you can get cheap houses there, but i'm not sure about wages. probably not all that high. but it all depends as per usual.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 95,978 times
My husband has to been Brisbane many times so we've got pretty good idea of where you are. Halifax (home for us) is better financially. And they have a great night life there but a lot of people love the largeness of TO. Halifax has approx 600,000 people. Easy to get to the countryside and very friendly. Five univer in the city itself, plus colleges, etc. Prettiest waterfront to anything in the world and always tons of stuff going on culturally - all without having to drive and hour to get there!

Wages and number of jobs available is really good. We just don't like to tell too many people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada