Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 AM

323 posts, read 940,978 times

Advertisements

So the second time in the last 3 years I'm once again considering taking a job in Canada and I am a US Citizen. I've researched and covered many of the basic questions, but as I go along and potentially get closer to a job offer from the company I've been talking to, some other interesting issues have crossed my mind. Most recently, the fact that I will have to re-establish a new Credit Score in Canada. My US score is pretty decent at 689, but I am concerned about being able to borrow money in Canada if I have to.

I guess that made me think more about changing my lifestyle and making a better effort to save money. Since I acquired $35,000 in debt from college, I have plenty of bills between that and a car payment, rent, Credit Cards, etc. I pretty much have lived pay check to pay check with enough of a financial cushion to go out and have fun from time to time. But saving money or paying debt down really hasn't been an option on what I made. Now I'm unemployed and I'm getting towards the tail end of the savings I had before this all happened. So it makes me think that I need to start doing things differently. One of the things that I would definitely consider is taking a part time job.

What I'm wondering is, as a US Citizen living in Canada on a Work Permit for a Full Time job, would I also be able to seek part time work?

If the full time job isn't going to pay me enough to begin with then I'm not taking it period. I'm not going to expect to find extra work to make ends meet. But, if I could find part time work as well I'd certainly consider it to try and build up better savings or pay down debt. That becomes more critical if I can't apply for a Credit Card etc. in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:44 AM

83 views and no responses? Anyone have some experience with this?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM

195 posts, read 673,028 times
If your work permit is an Open Work permit yes you can get a part-time job.

If your work permit names your employer it is what we call a closed work permit and no, you will not be able to get a part-time job as you will only be allowed to work for your current named employer.

In order to have access to provincial healthcare you will need to maintain a full-time job and if you have a closed work permit you will need to be employed full-time at the employer named on your work permit to qualify for health care.

The easiest way to get an open work permit is to go to grad school in Canada and obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit which is an open permit valid for three years (if your school program was 2+ years in duration)

Otherwise, open permits are rare since usually you would need to have a job offer to obtain a permit in the first place and permits sponsored by your employer are closed (i.e. they only let you work for that employer)

You will pay your debts off much faster in the US -- remember that our taxes are higher, food and things cost more, and you will lose some money on the exchange rate when sending money to pay off your US student loans (I know a lot about this I live in Canada and am paying 75k of student loan debt in the US...it is hell on earth)

Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks for your reply! Pretty much what I had figured for getting additional work. At the very least I'm going to make sure that I make enough to live comfortably. I don't want to take a low salary and barely scrape by, that's not worth it. I'm probably going to be asking $55K-$60K. We'll see how it goes, I'm going to be calling the company owner again tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada