Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Those 'preppy' styles shown in that google images site are what I always thought were called 'sporty' or 'semi-casual' for the rich kids crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I am from vancover and this me and how I dress dude pretty averge in my age group of 25-35

pretty much jeans and T-shirt maybe a hoodie in the colder months which is pretty much how everyone I know dresses outside of work.

I don't really care about how others dress as long as I am comfy. I don't care what the latest fasion trends are
Those are nice pictures of you (and your dad?) - even he is dressed the same way as you.

Pretty much everyone I know dresses in jeans and T-shirts and has basically the same attitude. From young kids to oldsters like me.... it's all about comfort and what's practical.

I guess the way the young people dress depends on their location and how conscious they are about style and making a statement.

Fashions are always changing but jeans and T's never seem to go out of style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Why not post some pics on how you think we should dress..
Most people i see are in jeans and T shirt and running shoes..

Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Maybe it's because Canada doesn't really have a prep school system (and associated culture and look), whereas the US does.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I noticed some hats and skinny pants that I first saw on newscasts from Germany and England, and I didn't see so much in the US at the time (eventually that fashion made it there). I guess that would be part of the Euro-wannabe?
I would describe most young Torontonian teenagers I saw where dressed up like complete Euro-trash more than anything the last time I was there.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why not post some pics on how you think we should dress..
Most people i see are in jeans and T shirt and running shoes..
It still varies across the country though. What GTOLover is wearing is much less common a look in Quebec.

In Quebec, young people wearing "running shoes" are likely to wear something like this:
http://www.driftblog.fr/wp-content/u...-drift-cat.jpg

In the rest of the country (as in the rest of North America), this is much more common as a running shoe:
http://chaussures-de-sport-pas-cher-...ce-running.jpg

And the t-shirts young people in Quebec wear tend to look like this (with lots of motifs on them):
http://gymtops.com/wp-content/upload...erstar-gsp.jpg

You don't see so much of the single colour t-shirts in Quebec, or t-shirts with the name of a computer company, landscaping company or golf club.

And young people in Quebec also quite predominantly wear 3/4 length pants (khaki, white or other colours) during the summer. Much more than they do jeans.

Not sure if this is Euro-wannabe or Eurotrash, but it is what I observe out there on the streets of Quebec.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM

228 posts, read 696,194 times
^^^ a lot of people outside of Quebec dress like that.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
^^^ a lot of people outside of Quebec dress like that.
Of course many do. I wasn't saying "everyone here" vs. "everyone there", only that it was more common in certain areas.

The "Wayne's World" look you will see much less in Quebec than elsewhere in North America, whereas the "Tapout, Puma and gel-spiked hair" look is much more common in Quebec.

But yeah, there are Wayne's World types and Star Trek geek types in Quebec as well. They are just fewer and far between.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

You don't see so much of the single colour t-shirts in Quebec, or t-shirts with the name of a computer company, landscaping company or golf club.

And young people in Quebec also quite predominantly wear 3/4 length pants (khaki, white or other colours) during the summer. Much more than they do jeans.

Not sure if this is Euro-wannabe or Eurotrash, but it is what I observe out there on the streets of Quebec.
I find that the young people in the big cities of Canada (Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver) really like to dress in unique ways- like people often dress very differently.

You see that flair in NYC, San Francisco, Seattle too..but I notice in alot of the Sunbelt/ Midwestern/ New England cities, the young people are less likely to "dress to stand out" and they often dress very similarly to their peers- there is a certain conservatism, that is what I am trying to say in.

Also another observation is that US young people are far more likely than their Canadian counterparts to wear school/ college-insignia or community-sports-level-insignia on their clothing.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

Also another observation is that US young people are far more likely than their Canadian counterparts to wear school/ college-insignia or community-sports-level-insignia on their clothing.
Boy is this ever true. I remember as a teen/young adult going on family shopping trips to Syracuse, NY. I almost felt out of place because I wasn't wearing something orange, or something with SYRACUSE or ORANGEMEN (or both) on it....

Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Boy is this ever true. I remember as a teen/young adult going on family shopping trips to Syracuse, NY. I almost felt out of place because I wasn't wearing something orange, or something with SYRACUSE or ORANGEMEN (or both) on it....
Having attended university and college and graduated with degrees from both countries this is very true.

In the US, the identity with college (university), where you go to school is extremely important, there is a lot of school pride, and not just with sports teams (although that is a big part of it compared to its Canadian counterparts). It is I think IMHO, a big turning point in adult life growing up than it is more so in Canada for young people.

In many smaller college towns, or areas of the country that don't have large cities, or have any pro sports college identification is a big deal. So people are tending to wear colors all the time when it comes to just casual standard wear (not fashinable in the slightest mind you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada