Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
ARCHIVED - PDF document shows how Stats Can sees comparisons.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crim...ecdjan2012.pdf in EVERY single chart the U.S. crime rate is higher, much higher.
True, but overall crime rates are higher in Canada (though it is almost impossible to compare crime rates because some things are crimes in Canada but no the U.S. and vice versa). Some parts of Canada are worse than the worst parts of the U.S. though. A person living in Nunavut (where the violent crime rate is 10 times higher than the U.S.) has a 1 in 80 chance of getting murdered in their life time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM

30 posts, read 80,317 times
Like it's been said by many others--the US and Canada both vary tremendously in crime rates depending on where you are.

For example, I teach admin of criminal justice which is a statistics-oriented course.

Last year, my wife and I drove to the maritimes and Newfoundland and Labrador from my home state of Iowa. Just for fun, I googled homicide rates in Canada v. homicide rates in Iowa (pop. c. 3,000,000).

It turns out that if Iowa were a Canadian province, it would be tied for the third-lowest homicide rate in Canada. The year I googled, 2010 I think, PEI had a zero homicide rate, Newfoundland and Labrador were next lowest, and Quebec was third lowest, tied with Iowa.

This summer, we drove to BC, Alberta, SK, MB.

I always got a chuckle when the subject of US crime came up, as it frequently did in Canada, by reminding my friends that at least for these two Iowans, our odds of being murdered increased dramatically as soon as we crossed into Canada, lol.

Which they did statistically, but of course the odds were tiny in any event.

I am fully aware of course, that homicide rates overall in the US are significantly higher than Canada, but not so much if at all here in the upper Midwest. But it just depends on where you live.

One thing I've noticed is that rural crime in the US has been historically pretty low, while US city crime can be sky high. From what I've read, it seems that certain rural areas of Canada have generally higher crime rates than even some Canadian cities.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 795 times
See I just believe Canada is so much safer. Like as that one person said in the USA a person who isnt selling drugs or part of a gang they're not likely to get targeted you're right but as a female hell yeah they're at more risk no matter what. I'm from kitchener 50 mins south of Toronto. Not a lot of stuff happens but 50 mins from Detroit or Chicago or LA **** happens all the time even if you have nothing to do with anything going on. Guns, rapes, assaults are crazy in the United States. I'm dating an American and don't get me wrong I love it here to a point. But if I'm going to have a family we are moving to Canada. I'm 24 I just learned about the columbine shooting in 1998 because I was literally 7 years old and I was like wtf. Then I was almost 20 when the sandy hook shooting happened, like again it was people who weren't mentally stable but if you're gun control was better it would be safer. I had 1 lockdown in high school because supposedly someone across the street, through a Plaza and down a hill in a park had a knife? Yet y'all get bomb threats and shootings and stabbings and sooooooo many fights. You have police and metal detectors. Like maybe that happens in Toronto, not 100% sure but 99% of schools I went to even in mississauga and Oakville and Burlington and all these other ones closer to Toronto didn't. Personally I think Canada will always be safer because we have gun control and no offense smarter people, by statistics. I know we have like 30 something million and America has 300 and something million but still. If you think you're the best country I HIGHLY disagree. Good country but not the best. Canada is a great country but it has its flaws can't deny it. But we don't have a massive amount of people dying every single day because of shootings and girls being raped because we're not as strong as men, not an excuse. You want you country to be the best act like it's 2016. Don't make fun of gay people, don't kill them, don't kill blacks, don't kill Hispanics. Who ****ing cares what they are or what colour they are or what gender they like. It's seriously 2016. Not just America but mostly America needs to ****ing realize the year. But you did vote trump you made your country go from 2016 to ****ing 1946 when he was born and that was 70 years ago. I'm a gay women and I'm proud and I don't care if I'm called a *** or a dyke or anything because I'm still a female. I have long hair I can wear a dress and make up and if I said I wasn't gay you'd never know but I'm still judge in America mostly because I like girls. And the scariest thing is my dad told me just make sure you're not holding hands with you're girlfriend or be kissing because a lot (not all obviously) are homophobic and you never know if you would get beat up, stabbed, shot or raped by people who are very against that. See in Canada yeah there is hemophobia I can't deny but people just look at you or yell dyke or *** (which btw people calling me that is like me calling you straight) but some people do take offense to that **** but they'll live hard lives so to those people who are gay women or gay meb don't take offense it's so dumb they just ****ing words they're not that offensive haha. Anyways I'm not making fun of America I love it. I've been here with my girlfriend for 4 months and I have no problems just don't agree with your gun law and **** and it's not as safe as Canada. Just need to act like it's 2016 and not 1920. Gay, straight, black, white, Hispanic, we have a heart, eyes, arms and legs and a head a nose and mouth so wtf is the difference. I will always respect people as long as they respect me. As I said I'm gay or lesbian whichever people say but I'm not all out there with it, I'm comfortable in my skin and who I'm with. I will not make out or throw myself out there to prove I'm gay I'd be exactly how I'd be with a boyfriend. Just sucks I cant even hold her hand without being worried. Whys it matter if I'm holding hands I'm not making out or being all out there and I still get judged. But straight people can like **** on a bench. No one wants to see 2 girls, 2 guys or 1 guy and 1 girls all over each other but **** it if it's a straight couple doing it but we have to worried about holding hands and getting shot or stabbed. Matt Shepard back in 1998 that I just learned was so brutally beaten and killed because 2 guys thought oh he must be rich and **** so let's rob him then they find out he's gay and kill him. Like what the ****?!?!?!?!?! I know it was almost 19 years ago and America was so far from understand gays but it was a hate crime and people still believe meh one less "***" like I don't know. I keep ranting about everything and I know there are a lot of states that are so cool with people being different like being in Michigan right now I love it I said I feel like I'm in Canada because I'm in Ann Arbor and it's a college town but it's awesome. The south and **** like come on guys even our conservative people aren't brutal about gays or blacks or anything. Stop going by the bible that was written WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before any of us were born. Get the **** over it. It says you cheat in a marriage you get stoned but it's 99% men cheating on their wives but I don't see them getting stoned even the women who cheat they don't either. Women wearing "sexy" clothes is wrong they must dress modestly with decency and prosperity because men can't control their boners? I mean some girls not gunna lie yeah put some clothes on but I've heard guys called my friend a **** because of what she was wearing and shes a virgin and she could be targeted easy by a guy because of their own views, but if a girls wears jeans and t-shirt with a hat and no make up guys aren't interested.. some are though not pointing them all out i pomise but its just ****ty that we cant be comfy but you can just wear jeans and some nikes and a sweater and a hat just makes no sense. We can wear a dress to our knees and we're whores and get raped or bested if we say no because a lot again not all just take advantage. I'm a lesbian who has slept with dudes I'm not super girly but I'm not like wearing guy clothes minus sweaters and I go out and guys don't give a **** about me. Even though I'm dressed girly not in a short ass dress or anything but leggings and a tighter shirt they don't give a **** but they look at my friend like a piece of meat and I've heard them whisper oh I'll bring her outside and **** that which is so disrespectful and I know this forum is about violence but him saying that is violence, NO women or NO mend should ever be talked to in that was unews you know them but for both genders mostly girls that get brought into a bathroom or alley way or anywhere and they get raped or beat up because guys can't resist pretty girls in a dress. Don't get me wrong I have met SOOOOO many amazing guys and I hang out with them all the time I am not feminist only in the sense of equal pay that's it but I can look at girl and my guy friends and y'all think so different. I say man she's beautiful I'd love to kiss her or take her on a date and they're like oh I'd **** that hell yeah. Honestly guys you see a hot girl you want to sleep with or whatever just be ****ing nice, say you're beautiful get her 1 drink, or go sit outside and talk and if your buddy is there or more don't treat her like **** to impress it's so embarrassing on your part because she will leave and be like lmfao what a unconfident dude following his friends because you're not being yourself. Anyways I'm done ranting. I wasn't trying to chirp men because I love my dad and brother and all myour guy friends and I love my ex boyfriend still but he made it all about sex which sex is great but **** chill out. And I'll stick up for dudes, girls are ******* and moody and can treat men like men treat women to a point but rape for a girl being drugged or not we can't push you off, we can take a gun from you or outrun you or anything. In America I have learned if you're going somewhere to have a guy with you and it sucks because I mean I am proud to be a women but have a 6 foot guy or even a 5'6 guy chasing me down or hitting me even though I've played boys AAA hockey until I was 14 and work out I would die. I just wish violence didn't happen with men hitting women, or raping or vice versa. But see I know there are bigger girls then some guys but I mean if just say a 5'5 guy 140lbs and I'm 5'4 working out and hockey and he's not his punch to my face compared to my hit to his face who wins. He could seriously hurt me, I may hurt him but not enough to make him knocked out but I'm confident it could hurt. One last thing and I'm sorry but I've kind have been up and down with this comment because being in the US for 4 months hearing on the news there is a murders and rapes and fights in schools every single day in my 4 years of high school I saw 3 girls fighting other girls and it was a joke. No one was seriously hurt and it was like a 2 day suspension. I am very proud to be Canadian and sure make fun of me I'm not being ignorant or anything because I know murders and rapes happen in Canada but mostly all I hear is shot and killed. We defiantly don't have the hate crime against gays and whatever as much as you guys. My girlfriend told me some high school student was just walking and her peers knew she was gay and pushed her down a massive hill, like bro wtf does that accomplish? You hurt her with a few cuts and bruises and you look like a ****ing idiot but see 95% of Americans won't help because they don't want to be bullied. ONE MORE TIME AMERICA ITS 2016. I came out in grade 9 (2006/2007) even though I had a boyfriend at the end of grade 10 I knew I was gay, he knew, everyone in my school knew which was like 1900 students knew and I didn't have anything said to me well once but I told her "shut up don't flatter yourself you're not my ****ing type and never will be you ignorant my *******" that's the only hate I got and my tearchers stuck up for me but my friends here in the US day you get on the wrong people's side they probably won't kill you but they could have a knife or gun or they'll just kick your ass for gays and lesbian but it's mostly gay males in America. I know I'm off topic kind of but it's just something I've wanted to say and I'd love feedback. PLEASE KNOW, I love America and I know not everywhere is bad or homophobic or racist or anything but people you have to agree Canada is safer. I also didn't mean to target men but if you look at people in prison with 12,817 6.2% which is women where it's like 178,323 93.3% where it's men and that's the only reason I'm saying things y'all get mad you want to fight where a lot of girls yell and ***** and maybe pull hair. One last thing, men get raped I'm not going to deny but men being raped at 84% of it being other males and 16% of it is women. AND that swimmer at Stanford gets 3 months for raping an unconscious 23 year old. 3 ****ing months but you can go to jail for steal from the government for like 5 years. But his family said if he stays in longer it'll ruin his life, what about that poor girl who has to live with that, no offense guys but you're not so macho it's embarrassing. My dad is a great man he treated my mother and me and every women with respect, my brother is too and he always told me good thing you're gay guys are *******s. Again, I am not saying this about every male because I have met lots and lots and lots of great men in the world through travelling, my friends, guys on my hockey team but I just don't agree with a lot of the way y'all think. Sure girls are ****ing hot you wanna sleeping with them I've felt that way but I keep it to myself, if sex happens it does never force a women it's embarrassing on your part and she'll leave and if she doesn't well then she likes being treated like ****.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:25 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
^^^Paragraphs are good.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:23 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Columbine was in 1999

Old 11-20-2016, 04:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Canada is at number 8 position of the top 25 safest countries in the world on this site:

The 25 Safest Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com

Number 7 of the top ten on this site:

https://lifestyle9.org/top-10-safest...-in-the-world/

Number three on this site:

The 10 Safest Countries, Ranked by Perception | Best Countries | US News

Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGirl25 View Post
See I just believe Canada is so much safer. Like as that one person said in the USA a person who isnt selling drugs or part of a gang they're not likely to get targeted you're right but as a female hell yeah they're at more risk no matter what. I'm from kitchener 50 mins south of Toronto. Not a lot of stuff happens but 50 mins from Detroit or Chicago or LA **** happens all the time even if you have nothing to do with anything going on. Guns, rapes, assaults are crazy in the United States. I'm dating an American and don't get me wrong I love it here to a point. But if I'm going to have a family we are moving to Canada. I'm 24 I just learned about the columbine shooting in 1998 because I was literally 7 years old and I was like wtf. Then I was almost 20 when the sandy hook shooting happened, like again it was people who weren't mentally stable but if you're gun control was better it would be safer. I had 1 lockdown in high school because supposedly someone across the street, through a Plaza and down a hill in a park had a knife? Yet y'all get bomb threats and shootings and stabbings and sooooooo many fights. You have police and metal detectors. Like maybe that happens in Toronto, not 100% sure but 99% of schools I went to even in mississauga and Oakville and Burlington and all these other ones closer to Toronto didn't. Personally I think Canada will always be safer because we have gun control and no offense smarter people, by statistics. I know we have like 30 something million and America has 300 and something million but still. If you think you're the best country I HIGHLY disagree. Good country but not the best. Canada is a great country but it has its flaws can't deny it. But we don't have a massive amount of people dying every single day because of shootings and girls being raped because we're not as strong as men, not an excuse. You want you country to be the best act like it's 2016. Don't make fun of gay people, don't kill them, don't kill blacks, don't kill Hispanics. Who ****ing cares what they are or what colour they are or what gender they like. It's seriously 2016. Not just America but mostly America needs to ****ing realize the year. But you did vote trump you made your country go from 2016 to ****ing 1946 when he was born and that was 70 years ago. I'm a gay women and I'm proud and I don't care if I'm called a *** or a dyke or anything because I'm still a female. I have long hair I can wear a dress and make up and if I said I wasn't gay you'd never know but I'm still judge in America mostly because I like girls. And the scariest thing is my dad told me just make sure you're not holding hands with you're girlfriend or be kissing because a lot (not all obviously) are homophobic and you never know if you would get beat up, stabbed, shot or raped by people who are very against that. See in Canada yeah there is hemophobia I can't deny but people just look at you or yell dyke or *** (which btw people calling me that is like me calling you straight) but some people do take offense to that **** but they'll live hard lives so to those people who are gay women or gay meb don't take offense it's so dumb they just ****ing words they're not that offensive haha. Anyways I'm not making fun of America I love it. I've been here with my girlfriend for 4 months and I have no problems just don't agree with your gun law and **** and it's not as safe as Canada. Just need to act like it's 2016 and not 1920. Gay, straight, black, white, Hispanic, we have a heart, eyes, arms and legs and a head a nose and mouth so wtf is the difference. I will always respect people as long as they respect me. As I said I'm gay or lesbian whichever people say but I'm not all out there with it, I'm comfortable in my skin and who I'm with. I will not make out or throw myself out there to prove I'm gay I'd be exactly how I'd be with a boyfriend. Just sucks I cant even hold her hand without being worried. Whys it matter if I'm holding hands I'm not making out or being all out there and I still get judged. But straight people can like **** on a bench. No one wants to see 2 girls, 2 guys or 1 guy and 1 girls all over each other but **** it if it's a straight couple doing it but we have to worried about holding hands and getting shot or stabbed. Matt Shepard back in 1998 that I just learned was so brutally beaten and killed because 2 guys thought oh he must be rich and **** so let's rob him then they find out he's gay and kill him. Like what the ****?!?!?!?!?! I know it was almost 19 years ago and America was so far from understand gays but it was a hate crime and people still believe meh one less "***" like I don't know. I keep ranting about everything and I know there are a lot of states that are so cool with people being different like being in Michigan right now I love it I said I feel like I'm in Canada because I'm in Ann Arbor and it's a college town but it's awesome. The south and **** like come on guys even our conservative people aren't brutal about gays or blacks or anything. Stop going by the bible that was written WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before any of us were born. Get the **** over it. It says you cheat in a marriage you get stoned but it's 99% men cheating on their wives but I don't see them getting stoned even the women who cheat they don't either. Women wearing "sexy" clothes is wrong they must dress modestly with decency and prosperity because men can't control their boners? I mean some girls not gunna lie yeah put some clothes on but I've heard guys called my friend a **** because of what she was wearing and shes a virgin and she could be targeted easy by a guy because of their own views, but if a girls wears jeans and t-shirt with a hat and no make up guys aren't interested.. some are though not pointing them all out i pomise but its just ****ty that we cant be comfy but you can just wear jeans and some nikes and a sweater and a hat just makes no sense. We can wear a dress to our knees and we're whores and get raped or bested if we say no because a lot again not all just take advantage. I'm a lesbian who has slept with dudes I'm not super girly but I'm not like wearing guy clothes minus sweaters and I go out and guys don't give a **** about me. Even though I'm dressed girly not in a short ass dress or anything but leggings and a tighter shirt they don't give a **** but they look at my friend like a piece of meat and I've heard them whisper oh I'll bring her outside and **** that which is so disrespectful and I know this forum is about violence but him saying that is violence, NO women or NO mend should ever be talked to in that was unews you know them but for both genders mostly girls that get brought into a bathroom or alley way or anywhere and they get raped or beat up because guys can't resist pretty girls in a dress. Don't get me wrong I have met SOOOOO many amazing guys and I hang out with them all the time I am not feminist only in the sense of equal pay that's it but I can look at girl and my guy friends and y'all think so different. I say man she's beautiful I'd love to kiss her or take her on a date and they're like oh I'd **** that hell yeah. Honestly guys you see a hot girl you want to sleep with or whatever just be ****ing nice, say you're beautiful get her 1 drink, or go sit outside and talk and if your buddy is there or more don't treat her like **** to impress it's so embarrassing on your part because she will leave and be like lmfao what a unconfident dude following his friends because you're not being yourself. Anyways I'm done ranting. I wasn't trying to chirp men because I love my dad and brother and all myour guy friends and I love my ex boyfriend still but he made it all about sex which sex is great but **** chill out. And I'll stick up for dudes, girls are ******* and moody and can treat men like men treat women to a point but rape for a girl being drugged or not we can't push you off, we can take a gun from you or outrun you or anything. In America I have learned if you're going somewhere to have a guy with you and it sucks because I mean I am proud to be a women but have a 6 foot guy or even a 5'6 guy chasing me down or hitting me even though I've played boys AAA hockey until I was 14 and work out I would die. I just wish violence didn't happen with men hitting women, or raping or vice versa. But see I know there are bigger girls then some guys but I mean if just say a 5'5 guy 140lbs and I'm 5'4 working out and hockey and he's not his punch to my face compared to my hit to his face who wins. He could seriously hurt me, I may hurt him but not enough to make him knocked out but I'm confident it could hurt. One last thing and I'm sorry but I've kind have been up and down with this comment because being in the US for 4 months hearing on the news there is a murders and rapes and fights in schools every single day in my 4 years of high school I saw 3 girls fighting other girls and it was a joke. No one was seriously hurt and it was like a 2 day suspension. I am very proud to be Canadian and sure make fun of me I'm not being ignorant or anything because I know murders and rapes happen in Canada but mostly all I hear is shot and killed. We defiantly don't have the hate crime against gays and whatever as much as you guys. My girlfriend told me some high school student was just walking and her peers knew she was gay and pushed her down a massive hill, like bro wtf does that accomplish? You hurt her with a few cuts and bruises and you look like a ****ing idiot but see 95% of Americans won't help because they don't want to be bullied. ONE MORE TIME AMERICA ITS 2016. I came out in grade 9 (2006/2007) even though I had a boyfriend at the end of grade 10 I knew I was gay, he knew, everyone in my school knew which was like 1900 students knew and I didn't have anything said to me well once but I told her "shut up don't flatter yourself you're not my ****ing type and never will be you ignorant my *******" that's the only hate I got and my tearchers stuck up for me but my friends here in the US day you get on the wrong people's side they probably won't kill you but they could have a knife or gun or they'll just kick your ass for gays and lesbian but it's mostly gay males in America. I know I'm off topic kind of but it's just something I've wanted to say and I'd love feedback. PLEASE KNOW, I love America and I know not everywhere is bad or homophobic or racist or anything but people you have to agree Canada is safer. I also didn't mean to target men but if you look at people in prison with 12,817 6.2% which is women where it's like 178,323 93.3% where it's men and that's the only reason I'm saying things y'all get mad you want to fight where a lot of girls yell and ***** and maybe pull hair. One last thing, men get raped I'm not going to deny but men being raped at 84% of it being other males and 16% of it is women. AND that swimmer at Stanford gets 3 months for raping an unconscious 23 year old. 3 ****ing months but you can go to jail for steal from the government for like 5 years. But his family said if he stays in longer it'll ruin his life, what about that poor girl who has to live with that, no offense guys but you're not so macho it's embarrassing. My dad is a great man he treated my mother and me and every women with respect, my brother is too and he always told me good thing you're gay guys are *******s. Again, I am not saying this about every male because I have met lots and lots and lots of great men in the world through travelling, my friends, guys on my hockey team but I just don't agree with a lot of the way y'all think. Sure girls are ****ing hot you wanna sleeping with them I've felt that way but I keep it to myself, if sex happens it does never force a women it's embarrassing on your part and she'll leave and if she doesn't well then she likes being treated like ****.
whatever

Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGirl25 View Post
This has to be one of the most if not the most incoherent posts I have ever seen on City-Data.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
LOL, did anyone actually read all that?

Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL, did anyone actually read all that?
Not me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada