Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
While you can, theoretically, take 1 year parental leave in Canada, how do you want to support your family for that long? As I understand, the most financial support you can get is no more than 50% of your salary?

I mean, of course it's great that Canada offers 1 year parental leave. But is it possible for a family to survive financially and still have a decent life one year long on only 50% of the salary?
Well, we are currently a two-income family. And when one spouse stops working, we would save on gas, car insurance, meals out, etc. Plus no day care costs. A friend from Canada took between 8 and 12 months off for each of two children.

But its a good question - can single parents realistically use this benefit?

Anyway, I think its just more civilized. And, I think it fits our values better. Anyway, in most of the first world, its considered normal to have this type of benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Well, we are currently a two-income family. And when one spouse stops working, we would save on gas, car insurance, meals out, etc. Plus no day care costs. A friend from Canada took between 8 and 12 months off for each of two children.

But its a good question - can single parents realistically use this benefit?

Anyway, I think its just more civilized. And, I think it fits our values better. Anyway, in most of the first world, its considered normal to have this type of benefit.
Many, but nowhere near all, employers offer a top-up beyond what the employment insurance pays during the maternity/parental leave. So you can end up with 50%, 75% or even 93% of your salary depending on who you work for.

Though the employment insurance program is federal, how much you get can vary depending on the province. For example, the Quebec government tops up maternity/parental leave for all of that province's workers. This brings it up to the 75% range for most people.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
While you can, theoretically, take 1 year parental leave in Canada, how do you want to support your family for that long? As I understand, the most financial support you can get is no more than 50% of your salary?

I mean, of course it's great that Canada offers 1 year parental leave. But is it possible for a family to survive financially and still have a decent life one year long on only 50% of the salary?
Everyone I know that had (or adopted) a baby in the last few years since the one year parental leave came into effect has indeed taken the full leave (before that it was six months). Usually the parents split the leave, and they can also take it overlapping if they wish, or one can take all of it. A couple of my friends took additional unpaid leave after their paid leave finished to stay home even longer. I guess basically people just budget for it - as docwatson said, you save on gas, additional car, meals out, daycare, etc.,

Re: returning to a similar job,, yes, that is a protected right - you are guaranteed to return to your same job or an equivalent one, so there is no "demotion", although if one is particularly ambitious, you won't be climbing the ranks while on leave - for many people quality time with their children while they are tiny is worth more than climbing the corporate ladder and consider it a fair trade-off.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times
Quote:
Re: returning to a similar job,, yes, that is a protected right - you are guaranteed to return to your same job or an equivalent one, so there is no "demotion", although if one is particularly ambitious, you won't be climbing the ranks while on leave - for many people quality time with their children while they are tiny is worth more than climbing the corporate ladder and consider it a fair trade-off.
If you take the year benefit (and not more), is there any negative stigma down the road (i.e. you are not "career oriented" enough or you might have another kid and take leave again!), or is parental leave a benefit everyone pretty much uses?

In my field I see a fair number of one-year positions advertised in Canada, which I assume are to fill in for people on leave.

Pardon me for getting the thread a bit off topic, but growing up in America and studying other social systems, its something I am interested in.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
If you take the year benefit (and not more), is there any negative stigma down the road (i.e. you are not "career oriented" enough or you might have another kid and take leave again!), or is parental leave a benefit everyone pretty much uses?

In my field I see a fair number of one-year positions advertised in Canada, which I assume are to fill in for people on leave.

Pardon me for getting the thread a bit off topic, but growing up in America and studying other social systems, its something I am interested in.
I lived in four provinces (AB, NB, QC and NS) and didn't see any stigma or sideway glances whatsoever at the women or men taking their parental leave - it was more of a "lucky you" or "enjoy your time off".

It is pretty much expected that people will take their leave - some women do put off having children for a few years to focus on climbing the ladder, but once the children are born, even the professionals I know (one doctor and two lawyers) took their full leave (or split it with their partner) - and a number of women I know also did two or three "back to back" with only a short stint back at work in between to requalify (a certain number of weeks back at work are required in order to qualify for another round of parental leave).

Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 AM

If anything, it is actually slightly frowned upon (perhaps not by your immediate boss, but certainly by all of your colleagues and overall society), not to take the full period of time you are entitled to after the birth or adoption of a child.

You risk being perceived as being a bad parent who had a child for the "wrong reasons"...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If anything, it is actually slightly frowned upon (perhaps not by your immediate boss, but certainly by all of your colleagues and overall society), not to take the full period of time you are entitled to after the birth or adoption of a child.

You risk being perceived as being a bad parent who had a child for the "wrong reasons"...
I agree with this. You are pretty much expected to take the full year. This is one policy I give Canada full credit for, the Parental Leave situation in the US is archaic and backwards.

It was definitely a conversation my wife and I had before accepting a position in the US. If the difference in pay wasn't large enough to allow my wife to stay home for at least a year when having our first child (She is actually pregnant now) then we would have had alot more to consider. Fortunately for us we are able to do that.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
(She is actually pregnant now) .
Congratulations! Hope all goes well.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Congratulations! Hope all goes well.
Merci beaucoup!!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 83,137 times
In NB where I live, it is quite common for parents to take the full 1 year (either the mother taking the full 1 year, or split between the parents). Thinking back, I cannot remember a couple who never took advantage of this program.

And while EI does pay only 55% of the yearly income, when my wife went through this, they took her highest.. 14 I believe (maybe it was 8 ? Do not remember it was 3 years ago) pay weeks to calculate her income. This resulted in a figure closer to 65% of her actual average weekly income. Also, take into effect the lower tax rate on the smaller income, it was closer to 70%.

For your original question, Tax rates very depending on your province, but a quick google search should be able to get you the exact figures. You could also download a tax program and simulate a years income to view the actual taxes you would be expected to pay. Good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada