Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Out here in NW WA/SW BC, I've almost have never heard of backups going from the US to Canada, lasting for more than 75 minutes, average waits are usually 15 to 30 minutes.....
Coming back into the USA, wow, on heavy days, 2 hours or more is not uncommon and over 75 minutes, during the day, is almost the norm.....average waits are 45 minutes to a hour...
I think it's since the US guards are more anal and hardcore than the Canadian ones. Or, maybe the Canadian crossings have more lanes to process travelers than the US does?
Is it like this in say, Detroit-Windsor, Niagara Falls-Niagara Falls?....seemed to me before 9/11, both crossings were about equal in wait times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
I think it's a combination of a lot of things...not the least of which is the strong Canadian dollar and the weak US economy. From what I have seen, there are a lot more Canadians coming south to visit than Americans coming north. Also, with the expansion of the border for the Olympics, there has been a noticeable decrease in wait times coming north.

As far as the Americans being more "anal", can't really say that I've seen a huge difference. IMO, it really depends on the day and the particular guard. Coming into Canada several weeks ago, I was behind, literally, 5 cars, and it took 15 minutes. Guess the guard was having some fun with the peeps coming in...

But, after waiting in a 1+ hour line-up coming back to the States on a Sunday night, I decided to come home EARLY Monday morning. At that time, there's one lane open, but a breeze getting through.

Normally, though, when I get up to Canada on Friday evenings (usually around 8 at the border), there's little to no traffic coming south.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
I've noticed at the Buffalo border that there are about 3 times as much people entering the US than coming out, but that obviously depends on the time of day. You could also look at peace bridge's numbers for example..

July 19/10 statistics:

On the average day there's slightly more automobiles entering the US than Canada. I think most of this accounts to cross-border shopping due to the strong Canadian dollar. But then again the people have to come back don't they? ... Lol. I've gone shopping several times in Buffalo solely to save money off electronics and other stuff which Ontario taxes you hard on.

Last edited by ThroatGuzzler; 08-25-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
I cross the border over 100 times a year all along the Canada, US border from New Brunswick to White rock BC. Overall I'm very surprised at the speed of the crossings. Usually 15 minutes or less. It helps having a fast card for sure. I would say that the two worst places are White rock and Niagara falls. I never cross at NF but go to Queenston Lewston instead But far more often go to Ft erie Buffalo. I cross at sweet grass Montana all the time and it's a really fast one. It's funny but the worst one I've had all year was at International Falls Mn. We were the only vechicle there and they were detirmined to find something. WE were there for about an hour while they dug through all our stuff and confiscates our dog food. LOL I had just bought it in Minnisota a few days before. Guess they didn't want it back in the USA or the guard had a pack of hounds.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
I have a NEXUS card too, so I don't have to deal with real long line ups, but there have been a couple of times when I waited 15 to 30 minutes, coming back into the US, in the NEXUS lane...go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada