Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

31 posts, read 100,751 times

Advertisements

Anyone here from there? I hear its really beautiful there, based on research done its the best place to live in Alberta

[SIZE=3]http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2009/prosperity/Default.aspx?sp2=2&sc1=-1&d1=a[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
Went through it and stayed overnight once, that was a long time ago, but it was really nice and gorgeous very memorable. Sorry I can't say more.

and no I don't know Mike.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 102,641 times
Yes it has very nice scenery but if you plan on working, employment is not always easy to find. Unless you want to operate a chairlift from Oct - April. I asked my husband a few years back if he would consider moving there - he said the only way a job with his company would open up there is if someone died!

I live in Calgary and a lot of the people I have met from Canmore tell me how much time they spend driving back and forth. Things are more expensive in Canmore - people seriously drive and hour and half to Calgary for groceries. Keeping in mind what winter looks like here, does not sound like much fun to me.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 AM

wow, this site gives information on all provinces in Canada [SIZE=3]http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2009/prosperity/Default.aspx?sp2=2&sc1=-1&d1=a[/SIZE]
and it states that Canmore is the best in Alberta in terms of employment.
What i know for sure that its always best to ask questions as you always get different opinions.
thanks all

Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Best in what context?

Yes there are lots of jobs, but they are seasonal and low paying, while the cost of living in Canmore is very high.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

I am with Mikeyyc - what do they mean by 'best'. Serving the drive-thru at McDonalds or a career? Like I said, lot's of seasonal work at the ski hills but they don't need peopel 12 month's of the year and don't expect to make a ton of money.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM

It was a general listing, listing all job types, the category was just "employment" please see link below
http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2009/prosperity/Default.aspx?sp2=2&sc1=-1&d1=a[/SIZE]

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

So it looks like they rank high for "unemployment". Does not say what the basis for ranking is though? Just because there is low unemployment does not mean it is easy to find employment. Interesting that they rank 154 out of 154 for average house prices. Maybe people are taking multiple jobs just to afford to live there? Also, they rank 8th for income but you need to think about the disparity in income of people that live there. Yes a few people do make really high incomes but there are still people that live in poverty there.

I am not trying to sway you away from considering Canmore but there is no point moving someplace because of one article published in a magainze. Consider what type of employment you would like before coming here and then find a place where you can find work with resnoble cost of living.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Canmore is a millionaires domain. The housing is very, very expensive. Most of the work would be in retail, tourism, or service industries (like bars, restaurants etc.) Lots of transient people, NOT homeless but just kids coming in to work 1 ski season etc. Live in Camore, work in Banff type of thing.
There is of course the gorgeous mountains, and the scenery cannot be beat.

If you have money, and I mean lots of $$$$$, then go for it. If not, then pick Calgary instead. More opportunities, better housing options and prices, and the mountains are still only a 45 min drive.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
If I could live anywhere on this planet, it's be Canmore. The Canadian Rockies are out of this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada