Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 87,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
Montreal is one of the few major cities in Canada that I have not spent time in. A few stopovers at the airport don't count. Your post motivates me to make certain that I visit soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I envy both Winnipeg and Montreal for their respective architecture. Unfortunately I have yet to visit either cities.
You guys should visit, you'll love it! I've been to TO but not to the Peg yet.

Moderator cut: please do not post copyrighted images......use a link instead

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-02-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 AM

24 posts, read 87,855 times
You can't post google streetview images?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I live in a smaller town in northern Ontario. (pop 75,000)
Things I love about living here:

Nature, acres and acres of untamed wilderness nearby, with countless lakes, streams and rivers clean enough to drink
Our traffic jams consist of a 5 minute wait at a stoplight
Work is only a 10 minute drive from home
People are polite and you often see people you know
Houses are not jammed into mile after mile of suburbs
Housing is less expensive than large cities
You actually know your neighbors and their kid's names
You know most of the city street names
We have a great Winter carnival
We are a border town with USA, close for shopping and holidays
Fishing and camping in the wilderness (or parks if preferred)
Nice beaches on Lake Superior and other lakes half an hour away
Our autumn is absolutely beautiful with deciduous forest colours
Ski hills are an easy drive
You can walk on the streets outside at night and feel safe
Lots of people don't lock their doors (although crime is getting worse with druggies breaking in like anywhere else)
A nice mix of nationalities and most everyone speaks decent English
A great winter carnival and family oriented community gatherings
The best pizza restaurant in the world (many citizens agree)

The downside:
jobs are hard to find
our healthcare mainly sucks, but getting like that everywhere in Ontario
Large cities are almost a day's drive away
Smaller selection of stores to shop in, but internet shopping is a great alternative
Not a large variety of ethnic restaurants (mostly Italian, which is the best! though)

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I live in a smaller town in northern Ontario. (pop 75,000)
Things I love about living here:

Nature, acres and acres of untamed wilderness nearby, with countless lakes, streams and rivers clean enough to drink
Our traffic jams consist of a 5 minute wait at a stoplight
Work is only a 10 minute drive from home
People are polite and you often see people you know
Houses are not jammed into mile after mile of suburbs
Housing is less expensive than large cities
You actually know your neighbors and their kid's names
You know most of the city street names
We have a great Winter carnival
We are a border town with USA, close for shopping and holidays
Fishing and camping in the wilderness (or parks if preferred)
Nice beaches on Lake Superior and other lakes half an hour away
Our autumn is absolutely beautiful with deciduous forest colours
Ski hills are an easy drive
You can walk on the streets outside at night and feel safe
Lots of people don't lock their doors (although crime is getting worse with druggies breaking in like anywhere else)
A nice mix of nationalities and most everyone speaks decent English
A great winter carnival and family oriented community gatherings
The best pizza restaurant in the world (many citizens agree)

The downside:
jobs are hard to find
our healthcare mainly sucks, but getting like that everywhere in Ontario
Large cities are almost a day's drive away
Smaller selection of stores to shop in, but internet shopping is a great alternative
Not a large variety of ethnic restaurants (mostly Italian, which is the best! though)
I am glad you posted this. It's a really fun way to learn about other parts of Canada. Now if we could just hear from some other C-Ders

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,919 times
Since Montreal is so big I won't post but about my immediate area of the Rosemount district of Montreal.
I like that within a minute I am on a main street of shops that extends about ten blocks long. There are all sort of shop like pharmacies, travel agency, one big thrift shop, dollar stores, and many restaurants low end and high end. Oh, plus lots of bake shops too for some reason. Plus Botanical Gardens and the Olympic Stadium is a relatively short bike ride away as well as a humongous park called DeMaissoneuve is there as well.

There is some good stuff around here to visit very nearby as well. They built this really beautiful park with fountains, tennis+volleyball courts, flower garden and it has amazing long distance views of the mountain "Montroyal" that sits in the middle of Montreal. Plus near that is the ancient Angus yards converted into a Loblaws but they hung on to some really cool architecture around there and landscaped it beautifully. It must be the only really beautiful supermarket I have ever seen. I should post pics.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Things I love about Calgary/area:

45 min to some of the most amazing skiing/biking/hiking in the country.

Farmers markets are really good.

45 min (the other way) to desolate badlands - excellent dirt biking/snowmobiling in wintertime.

Excellent job market; very pro-business mentality! People here want to get stuff done, and make some cash. Not a lot of unions. Highest rate of home ownership in Canada. Highest number of small business per capita in Canada.

Low taxes (no PST!) some of the lowest property taxes in the country.

Chinooks.

DRY weather - one strike I have against the east is the oppressive humidity! I wouldn't live there simply for that reason. Add to that WET cold down east...It gets in your bones...brr.

Did I mention the mountains!

Our downtown is FINALLY getting some character and thriving - it's more than just a bunch of glass skyscrapers.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:51 PM

156 posts, read 391,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Things I love about Calgary/area:

45 min to some of the most amazing skiing/biking/hiking in the country.

Farmers markets are really good.

45 min (the other way) to desolate badlands - excellent dirt biking/snowmobiling in wintertime.

Excellent job market; very pro-business mentality! People here want to get stuff done, and make some cash. Not a lot of unions. Highest rate of home ownership in Canada. Highest number of small business per capita in Canada.

Low taxes (no PST!) some of the lowest property taxes in the country.

Chinooks.

DRY weather - one strike I have against the east is the oppressive humidity! I wouldn't live there simply for that reason. Add to that WET cold down east...It gets in your bones...brr.

Did I mention the mountains!

Our downtown is FINALLY getting some character and thriving - it's more than just a bunch of glass skyscrapers.
I'm in Airdrie and agree with ALL of this.. well except the dirt biking and sledding part. Those are amazing in the mountains!! haha flatland sledding is not for this guy

The rockies are unbelievable.

The job market is fantastic, high paying hard working jobs are everywhere.

The mountains are still unbelievable.

Only 5% GST.

Looking out the back door and seeing the mountains!

Clear blue sky!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
I don't know why I didn't mention this 1st, but I love the cultural scene in Winnipeg. There are several excellent theatre groups and, most of all, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet; the longest continually operating Ballet Company in North America.

I remember being dragged kicking and screaming to a performance of the RWB many years ago. I planned that it would be my one and only ballet night. Then I saw Evelyn Hart dance. It was the most beautiful and perfect thing I had ever seen. I was deeply moved and became an instant acolyte.

I have seen some of the great Ballet Companies of the world since then: the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago, the NYC Ballet, the Kirov Ballet, and the Bolshoi. I've never felt that the quality, discipline and artistry of the RWB suffered in comparison.

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of combining two of my favourite things when Evelyn Hart performed as an actor in a production by the Prairie Theatre Exchange.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlug View Post
I'm in Airdrie and agree with ALL of this.. well except the dirt biking and sledding part. Those are amazing in the mountains!! haha flatland sledding is not for this guy
Haha yeah I prefer the flats for sledding

Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
I don't know why I didn't mention this 1st, but I love the cultural scene in Winnipeg. There are several excellent theatre groups and, most of all, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet; the longest continually operating Ballet Company in North America.

I remember being dragged kicking and screaming to a performance of the RWB many years ago. I planned that it would be my one and only ballet night. Then I saw Evelyn Hart dance. It was the most beautiful and perfect thing I had ever seen. I was deeply moved and became an instant acolyte.

I have seen some of the great Ballet Companies of the world since then: the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago, the NYC Ballet, the Kirov Ballet, and the Bolshoi. I've never felt that the quality, discipline and artistry of the RWB suffered in comparison.

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of combining two of my favourite things when Evelyn Hart performed as an actor in a production by the Prairie Theatre Exchange.
Me too. Manitobans seem over represented in this thread so besides what has already been mentioned, what I love specifically about my rural location is knowing each country road by heart. It's home.

Oh, and I guess I live about an hour or so from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada